Solved - 1991 Aerostar with a transmission front seal blow out issue. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 1991 Aerostar with a transmission front seal blow out issue.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

doonbugg

Reaction score
City, State
Rock Hill S.C.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Aerostar
413645[/ATTACH]"]http://
oj41zs.jpg

Well, I pulled this baby out of storage and brought her back to life. She has been under a carport unused for 6 years. 65000 actual miles. I bought this from my cousin who bought it new. I replaced the master cylinder, bled all of the lines and replaced the brake fluid. Replaced the fuel system from new pump assembly to the filter. Then the alternator was overcharging and i replaced that as well as the belts. Runs perfectly. Took it on a couple little shakedown cruises and did fine. Went on a 15 mile run and the transmission fluid left it completely :) Stranding me. I had it towed home, and havent touched it since ( 3 days ago ) The reason I have tried to save this van is because it is low mileage and not a spot of rust anywhere. The transmission fill tube does seem to be loose, could that be a factor ? Should I just sell it and be done with it ? Part it out, or look further into it's demise. I would love to hear some ideas. BTW, Put fluid in it and it still shifts, just runs out like a faucet is on :)

Attachments

• oj41zs.jpg
    oj41zs.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 30

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its the front seal.my trans did that once.lost four quarts in ten miles.i read that is caused by an overheated trans.i flushed my radiator and haven't had the problem again.

You dont have to replace the seal ?

No, I haven't .. Is that all you have to do generally, Flush out the radiator, or get a new one ?

Flushing the cooling system, replacing the thermostat or adding fresh coolant doesn't always work. Sometimes it's necessary to perform transmission work (front seal, bushing, or bellhousing weep hole enlargement for better converter drain back). There's something called Water Wetter which is supposed reduce the temperature of the cooling system a few degrees. There are aftermarket transmission coolers with a high rating if you want to try that too.

You dont have to replace the seal ?

i did nothing to the trans.i plan to carry a gallon of trans fluid and a funnel with me if i go on a trip.i have AAA if it does it again around home.i understand the trick is keeping the trans cool.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. Since the transmission is out of fluid anyhow :) I am going to drop the pan, replace the filter, new fluid, and flush the radiator. I hope that works LOL.

I will have to get some of that as well :)

when mine dumped four quarts in five miles,i was in stop and go traffic on a hot day when suddenly clouds of smoke bellowed out the back.i assumed i had blown a head gasket so i tried to drive it home.it was leaking on the exhaust.i drove it til the trans started slipping and then parked it in a park.i had it towed home and the next day i added fluid til the trans worked again.i flushed out the radiator and its never done it again.i searched and found that problem is common with this trans.i plan to add a bigger trans cooler.you said you added fluid later and it was still leaking.you may have a different problem.the fill tube may need a new o ring and tightening.

Well, That didn't Work LOL

Ok, I thought my transmission was leaking from the pan. So today I pulled it and replace the filter and new gasket. After I had it all buttoned up, I added transmission fluid. WOW, after the pan filled back up it started pouring out again. After a better inspection, I appears to not be the pan leaking after all. It is leaking ( Pouring ) out of where the tailshaft housing ( If that is the correct term ) connects to the main body of the transmission, Directly over the corner of the pan. Any Ideas ????? ... BTW, I checked the fill tube, It is secure.

It is rare to find a van that clean. I think it is worth fixing. I have not had good luck with the a4ld. I converted my van to a manual for less than what a rebuilt auto was going to cost and my mpg went up.

It is rare to find a van that clean. I think it is worth fixing. I have not had good luck with the a4ld. I converted my van to a manual for less than what a rebuilt auto was going to cost and my mpg went up.
i would like to convert to a five speed if my automatic dies but i can't find any five speed vans for parts.ive only found one pre 1992 van and its crushed now.

I got my clutch pedal off car-part.Com. once you get that you can use all ranger parts.

BrooklynBay, The fluid all blew out .... I replaced the pan gasket and filter. I DID add the fluid while it was not running. But, it had to come out somewhere when it was running LOL....

Well, BrooklynBay and other posters , You saved me a chunk of money.... I warmed it up, Added fluid till it was full. Flushed the radiator out. So far, I have driven it around 50 miles and not a drop of leaking... Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back