• Register Today It's free!

Crunching Noise from front tire

'94NavajoXL

Reaction score
City, State
Mission, Texas in the Rio Grande Valley
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Navajo LX 4x4
I have a 1994 Mazda Navajo LX 4x4 with auto locking hubs. I did a brake job last month, and took off the rotors to get them cut.

About a month later, I was driving in a parking lot and i noticed the passenger tire started making a crunching poping noise. When I turn to the wheel right to turn the corner the noise either stopped or quieted down. But slow driving speeds in a straight line will allow you to hear the noise.

Im pretty sure it is not the bearings, because i did them myself, but i could be wrong. I was thinking it might be a suspension part or a shock or something.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 1994 Mazda Navajo LX 4x4 with auto locking hubs. I did a brake job last month, and took off the rotors to get them cut.

About a month later, I was driving in a parking lot and i noticed the passenger tire started making a crunching poping noise. When I turn to the wheel right to turn the corner the noise either stopped or quieted down. But slow driving speeds in a straight line will allow you to hear the noise.

Im pretty sure it is not the bearings, because i did them myself, but i could be wrong. I was thinking it might be a suspension part or a shock or something.

Sounds like it could be your ball joints man. Check that out and let me know what you find.

are your lugnuts on tight? could be a loose wheel flappin arpound happened to me last month after doing my rotors... autozone buys there rotors fro, mexico, my treads came loose two weeks after replacing. had to replace my wheel my hub cover and rotor... hope that did not happen to you.

I had a similar problem not to long ago. I have manual locking hubs and one was missing a spring. When I had them unlocked, the front right stayed locked in and when I made a slight turn, there would be a load clicking noise. Turn more to the right and it would go away. Drive straight it would be gone too. I would check out the hubs.

Back