Front Drive Shaft installation issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Drive Shaft installation issue

kidakat

Reaction score
City, State
Whitney Point, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport
I've searched these forums for a solution and I don't get the feeling that this issue has been reported here.

I recently replaced the Dana 4405 T-case in my '97 Explorer Sport. When I took the old T-Case out, the CV joint on the front drive shaft came apart on me. So when I put the replacement T-case in, I left the DS out for the time being and figured I'd get back to it after I re-assembled the CV joint.

I got the CV back together and went to install the DS and I can't for the life of me get it to go in. I've never felt so stupid in my life. It seems like if the drive shaft didn't have the bulbus end on it, it may go. If I put the CV end in first, then the end with the U-joint can't seem to fit into the yoke.

Is there supposed to be a way of compressing this shaft? I have tried for hours to get the drive shaft to "shorten" and it won't budge. Could I have put the CV together wrong? When the CV is assembled, it's completely ridgid, no sliding or tilting allowed whatsoever in the CV joint.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance that anyone has to offer.

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The CV is toast then, there should be enough movement for you to compress the driveshaft and lengthen it to mount it in properly. That's how mine works anyways.

Ditto.

And just for the record, it's a Borg-Warner transfer case. The CV head (and driveshaft) is a Dana part, however. :)

Thanks for the feedback guys. And I agree about the Borg Warner vs Dana T-case, I mis-spoke there...

The part that amazes me about this CV joint, is that I can take it apart and put it back together fairly easily by sliding the carrier and ball bearings out the top.

Is it possible I'm putting it together wrong? Or does it only go together one way, and therefore it's bad if it doesn't have play in it?

thanks again!

I did mine last week (took apart and cleaned) And put mine together wrong the first time. I had rotated it the wrong way. Its hard to explain. Try to rotate it and put it back together. It was alittle more difficult to put it back the right way.

Sounds like a good tip, I'll take a look at that.

One quick question:
When you put your CV back together, did you have to push the carrier down into the socket a certain distance before you could move the outer part of the CV joint freely?

I'm asking, because it occurred to me today that I didn't push the bearings and carrier down to the "mid-point" of the CV joint and I wonder if that's where it has to be to have the necessary play...

Thanks for the suggestion!

No, But its a pain to get it together the right way. I had a buddy help me bacause i needed 2 more hands. When mine was together wrong i could move the cage in the center back and forth but the shaft wouldn't go back and forth. After i rotated it, it moved in and out fine.

Dude... I didn't know you could just pull it apart like that..... That can't be a good thing... I remember when the cv joint on mine killed itself and for some reason the ball part wasnt coming out of the socket and I was just yankin on it and it finally came out but the cv joint definitely didn't come apart.

someone please help im having the same problem on this one... i cant seem to get any play out of the CV !!?!

Please do not double post the same problem. Thank you for not doing that again.

If your front driveshaft came apart at the cv joint, it needs to be replaced. Just as the other thread you posted in points out, as does this one. (storlied, gijoecam in this thread, and ericautopart in the other)
Even if you were to get it back together in the correct orientation, it won't last you long.
Hopes this helps

It came apart because i had to take it out to remove the tranny, it didnt fall out on its own because it wore out. Everything inside the assy looks brand new and there are no signs of wear.

Why do you think it wont work if i put it back together? I simply don't understand the reasoning on replacing a perfectly good driveshaft. It was assembled at the factory so it must be able to go back.

picture of assy

n4d37t.jpg

The balls will wear to the groove they were in, as any bearing will.
So, sure, if you can get the balls and slots all setup as they were before it all fell apart, I guess it would be ok.
But since your asking how it all goes back together, I'm gonna guess this isn't possible.
Ever replace wheelbearings and not the races? How did that work out for you?
Sure it works, but how long is the ultimate question.

So why isnt that going back in?

Well my problem is that there doesn't seem to be much travel in the driveshaft, also it will not articulate left up right down more than 1/4''..

So when i try to rotate the driveshaft when installing the universal joint the shaft cannot rotate smoothly the front side of the shaft will go up and down as it rotates.

it must be that the ball bearings are not in the same slots as they were initially, some do seem to be tighter in the carrier than others.

I'm gonna take it back apart and try to get the right orientation in the carrier and see if that helps any.

This is such a pain in the A$$

I am having the same problem and I have tried everything..... To have you had any luck yet'''

I finally got my CV joint back together by following the directions from this website. http://www.benplace.com/cv_joint_maintenance.htm it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be after I removed the inter race from the drive shaft. I brought it in the house to the computer and only needed a small screwdriver to tap with.... Good luck and everyone

Front drive shaft vibration

I replaced my front shaft with a junk yard one after mine failed. When I installed my new shaft it shook horribly around 50 mph. I unhooked the u joint end and flipped it. Still vibrates with same problem. How do I get the front shaft on the suv balanced right? Thanks for your time and help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back