RockRangerII Refresh | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RockRangerII Refresh

I am going to be going through my 93 ranger and giving it a refresh. I bought the truck in late 2004. Other then a rancho lift kt it was an all stock stripped truck with a 4.0 manual trans and tcase. No AC cruise or power windows. The perfect basic wheeling rig.

Here are the specs of how the truck currently sat before this refresh.

4.0V6 all stock
Stock 5 speed
d.d. machine duel case setup with manual 1350 front and 1354 rear.
Front axle is a 1984 Jeep wagonner dana 44 converted to 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern 4.88 gears and an Aussie locker
Three link front suspension using 8" skyjacker TJ springs.
Rear axle is a 1992 explorer 8.8 4.88 gears and welded spider gears.
63" Chevy springs with a bellteck shackle.
BroncoII tank behind the rear axle
Warn 9.5 XP winch behind the front grill.
Interior roll cage
37" MTR on 17" steel rims

11806351705_12f3ea8e7c_c.jpg

Untitled by dresselhausfc, on Flickr

I took the truck down to King of The Hammers and few years ago and did some wheeling and managed to crush the bed good. Broke both front hubs and all 4 front axles, bent the rear driveshaft and ripped a shock mount off. Due to life getting in the way it sat on the trailer for 18 months before I even touched it again. Now I plan to give the truck some love and get it back on the trials again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

It will give the stuff on the bottom a lot less travel..:)

It is only 9" deep so there is only so far for stuff to fall. As long as my air down and air up supplies stay near the top I am good.

...I am so jealous...:popcorn:

That snow looks like a lot of fun:thumbsup: Great work on the center console, looks as nice as the ones from Tuffy.

I haven't done much to the truck lately but did decide to build a fire pit. One side is for my ranger and one side for Tracy's CJ7. I had a few burn thrus on the letters but they could easily be fixed next time. It is all cut from 3/16" plate. The top is roughly 38" in diameter. Now I just need to get some firewood and give it a test...

20160204_160519 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

20160204_160525 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

The best thing is it all breaks down into a small enough package that it fits in a long/large flat rate USPS box for storage. It is just under 70lbs before cutting out the designs if my math is right.

20160204_160705 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Very cool! Did you find a template for the basic shapes that link together and break apart, or is that your design?
The Jeep sides just look better and function better as a fire grate - make one with all six sides Jeep and you could sell a million of them!

Very cool. A nice fire and leaving it out overnight for a week or so will give it a nice patina.

Pretty slick Matt;) Seems like 1/8" plate would do the job as good plus someone could get one blank and go crazy with the dimple die treatment.

Thanks. I saw a few similar ones on line in pictures. Other then that I drew the whole thing up and designed it myself. I thought about using 1/8" material but was worried that it would warp to easy. I need to build a good size fire in it and see what it does.

Thanks. I saw a few similar ones on line in pictures. Other then that I drew the whole thing up and designed it myself. I thought about using 1/8" material but was worried that it would warp to easy. I need to build a good size fire in it and see what it does.

I would think they would do fine in 1/8". The wash tub drums seem to do fine and they must be of thinner material.

I would think they would do fine in 1/8". The wash tub drums seem to do fine and they must be of thinner material.

That is true. I wonder how much the round shape helps keep it from distorting. Have me thinking now.

I was going to ask you about building one.

Something like this ;)

http://www.amazon.com/La-Hacienda-56017US-Chimenea-59-Inch/dp/B00I8HEWM4

I could do one like that but no where near that price though. It would take 2/3 of a sheet of steel to make. It is a cool design but doesn't lend well to cooking marshmallows over :D

I have a small washtub fire pit and its very rigid. The shape and construction make it very sturdy. Its less than 1/8" thick.

I think you would be fine with 1/8" plate. Any warping would be minimal and it would be much easier to transport. Your design needs small holes or slots in the bottom for better air flow.

Back