• Register Today It's free!

Airbag light

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Recently I have been experiencing an airbag light illumination,

It is an intermittent problem. Sometimes it will go a day without illuminating.

It does not flash any sequence; it simply remained illuminated after the test sequence when turning on the truck.

Occasionally I have been able to get it to go out by turning off the ignition and restarting,

Ideas and suggestions sought.......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Air bag lights will not flash a code they need to be retrieved.
here is my hunch though.
Go under your seat and you'll find a pig tail for the side air bag.
Pull the cap off and blow in there a few times. Put the cap back on and go enjoy your day.
Yes I am serious. I have had to do it on mine once.
Nine times out of ten that is the ticket on an intermintent SRS light.
Otherwise the code needs to be pulled.
Any decent body shop should have a aig bag code puller.
I would let ya borrow mine but Florida is a bit of a drive
:)

How do I identify the plug? exactly where is it located?

Thanks for your help.

It is bright yellow.
It goes to nothing.
here is mine from the passenger side.
Just to the top of the amp is the connector we are speaking of.
No need to remove the seats, just a flexable neck.

Attachments

• amp.jpg
    amp.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 7,307

hey, i had the same problem as you. i found out that i was turning the key to much . i would have to restart ti and it would go away. next time it comes on turn ur key back a little and see if it goes away

The airbag light in mine goes off every once in a while like this, as well. I do the exact same thing mentioned above: unplug and plug back in that same yellow plug. Works every time. Mine goes off about every 6 months or so so I assume it has something to do with humidity affecting the plug somehow.

Mine is now flashing the code 3 7.

Thoughts........

could be the clock-spring in the steering wheel,

my parents 94 E150 had the annoying air bag light go on and off all the time, and we figured out that it was the clockspring,

but chances are if its the clockspring, the horn and the cruise won't work either,

are you having problems with them as well?

No, the horn and cruise work perfectly.

What code was your situation flashing?

it was 2 years ago so i don't remember,

at the time i worked part-time at a ford dealer, so i was able to get it checked out for free, and it ended up showing that the clockspring need to be replaced

Unfortuantely I can't do a thing for you with out my code reader attached to the vehicle.
Call a few body shops.

Does anyone know what a flashing 3 7 code means?

Thanks.....

MONMIX said:
Go under your seat and you'll find a pig tail for the side air bag.
Pull the cap off and blow in there a few times. Put the cap back on and go enjoy your day.

I easily found this connecter under the drivers seat, however, there was no such thing under the passenger seat.

Under the passener seat there is only a cable that appears to go into the seat and the other end goes into a slit on the carpet.

HELP?????????????????????

Unless your passenger seat is power that is the wire you should be looking for.
I will assume you do not have side airbags so the wire should be connected to nothing, however, the connector most likely will be cliped to something up under the seat.

How far into the passenger seat does this wire go ?
There also is a possibility the side air bag was only avalible on the drivers side.
This makes no sence and is pretty unlikely, but, it is a possibility.

Just look for the yellow plug.

It may not actually go into the seat; it may be clipped to the underside. I have not crawled under there yet.

I have one under my pass seat. It is a yellow connector that plugs into a dead socket that it mounted to the seat frame. This is probably the one that is talked about here. And is probably the case for you Aldive. It seems as though it goes into the seat, but it doesn't. It just has one of those push pin mounts that hold into the metal framing under pass seat.

As far as the one you may or may not have under the driver seat, it plugs into the seat belt to tell the dash when you buckle up or not. That is for vehicles that do not have a factory amp under the seat.

The under seat ( passenger ) connector was indeed the yellow connector.

I pulled the cap and did the blow thing and it indeed has stopped the airbag light ( at least so far ).

Can anyone explain how unplugging the under seat yellow connector and reconnecting it will clear the airbag light and prevent it from re-illuminating?

Thanks…..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Al, I would love to know that my self :)
I have been 10 months since I have had to do that on mine.
Static or dust would be my two best guesses.
something conductive between the two terminals

Back