I Drive By Brail
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Montrose, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Bronco '80 Toy
I'd love to tell everyone how it drives, but it still isn't finished. The kit is awesome and everything goes together well. I do have one complaint though. The adapter that goes between the engine and the tranny needs to be notched to ease the installation the head pipe. Also, if you are planning to do this swap, plan on having to have new hadpipes made.

One other warning. If you order the TV cable from Bowtie Overdrives, DO NOT get the braided kick down cable. Its too short!

I'll add more info on how it drives once I get it finished.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cool!

Very Nice. keep us updated.

Ah very sweet! If you don't mind me asking, how much do you have in this?

Sounds good Mike. For the benefit of those who maybe doing this in the future, what did you use instead of the braided kickdown?

please keep us all informed. i might do this later down the road.

Randall, mudd*****, had similar issues with his install. The adapter had to be majorly notched for header clearance and a custom Y pipe was needed. His kickdown was also too short, but I have no idea what was done to make it work, maybe he will chime in and say.

Hi All
Whats a 700R4, forgive me God as i am just a stupid streeter:)

spindlecone said:
Hi All
Whats a 700R4, forgive me God as i am just a stupid streeter:)

A darn near bulletproof 4spd Chevy automatic tranny normally found behind the 4.3L V6 (I think)

I contacted Bowtie this morning and they are aware of the problem and have ordered a new, longer cable that will correct the fit problem. So please disregard the comment in my first post.

As for price (JoshC asked). Right now I have about $1500 in the swap ($800+ for the adapters and $700 for the tranny), but you have to remember, I had a friend build the tranny (saved $300-400). I also need to buy a shifter still.
I didn't want to use an aftermarket shifter, but there is no way around it. I was able to hook the stock cable to the tranny (and it works) but in order to get the cable to line up it hangs too low and I know I'll rip it off. Also, there is no way to hook up a netural saftey switch or back up lights.

Hopefully the new head pipes will get done this week and I'll be able to get all the wireing taken care of this weekend.

I didn't take any pictures during the install (kept forgetting the camera) but I will take some pictures of the final product and do a full write up for thoes interested.

Hokie said:
A darn near bulletproof 4spd Chevy automatic tranny normally found behind the 4.3L V6 (I think)

The TH700R4 was actually used behind everything from the 2.8L V6 used in S-10's and Camero's to fullsize cars and trucks (4.3L V6 and all V8's). The Advanced Adapter's kit uses the small case 700R4 from the 2.8L.

pretty much all chevys that are rear wheel drive and automatics have the 700r4 tranny in them they are just all electronically controlled now a days

Man that's not a bad price for that kind of a swap at all. Shoot i had at least that much in the 5 speed swap.

Have you driven it yet, how does it shift on the road and what are you RPMs when crusin around town?

I had to notch out quite a bit of the adapter so that I could get it to clear the headers, probably a good 2 square inches of material. I also had to remove material from around one of the bolt holes on the actual transmission bellhousing. Even so, I had to stretch the headers out, completely remake the y-pipe, and most of the exhaust as well. After finally working the tranny in there, the catalytic converter was resting against the bellhousing. I had already overheated three of the stock trannies, so for heat issues, I chose to relocate the catalytic converter. The only good place to do that is where the muffler is, so I removed the muffler and put an aftermarket cat in its location. This also pretty much meant that I had to replace the majority of length from the exhaust pipe. The TV cable, as mentioned above, is about a foot and a half too short. I bought one for a 95 chevy pickup, and welded a little ball on the end of the cord. Which cost 16.99 versus the 109.99 that Bow Tie Overdrives wants. I called Bow Tie Overdrives, and they assured me that it would fit, because 'it worked on the bench.' They pretty much told me I was doing it wrong, as were the mechanics that were working on it. Their customer service is not the best. My mechanic called them about the freeze plugs being loose prior to install, and Bow Tie Overdrives pretty much told them that there was no way that it left their yard that way, and that it must have been the customer. Not to mention that fact that the first tranny they sent me was a 2wd version, and I had to get them to pick up the one they sent and install a new output shaft. Actually, they initially wanted me to do the work. They said that they would ship the output shaft and I could send them the old one when I got it out. Naturally, I told them that they were going to do the work, because if I knew how to build a tranny I would not have ordered one from them. Anyway, since I was installing an atlas at the same time, I also needed a new crossmember, tranny skid plate, and driveshaft work. There were other issues as well, such as the bellhousing dustcover from advanced adapters. This piece falls about an inch short of covering the gap. I'm sure there were more, I just can't hink of them at the moment.

Its probably just my experience, but I've personally seen more 700R4 trannys crap out than A4LD trannies, which are total junk! To me it seems like a waste of 1500 to swap to another 4-spd auto thats just as much a piece of crap as an A4LD, only made by someone else. If I was doing an auto swap, I'd go for a turbo 400 or a C-6, those good old vacuum 3-speeds are the only autos that are really "bulletproof". Just my opinion. Any mod that takes 1500 has to be cool! Good luck

-Eddie

Trouble is a 3 speed won't pass an emissions test in many states. That and OD in the tranny is awfully nice when you're running 4:89s or 5:13s. It seems that modified 700s are quite capable trannies.

So the 700R4 is a 3 speed with OD right? The C6 and turbo 400 are 3 speeds. What is the C4, will it bolt up or does it require and adapter?

yosh18981898 said:
Its probably just my experience, but I've personally seen more 700R4 trannys crap out than A4LD trannies, which are total junk! To me it seems like a waste of 1500 to swap to another 4-spd auto thats just as much a piece of crap as an A4LD, only made by someone else. If I was doing an auto swap, I'd go for a turbo 400 or a C-6, those good old vacuum 3-speeds are the only autos that are really "bulletproof". Just my opinion. Any mod that takes 1500 has to be cool! Good luck

-Eddie
In stock form, there were "some" 700R4's that sucked. However, with just a few dollars worth of parts they are stout. I promise you havent seen more R4's fail vs. A4LD's... do a search here for "A4LD failure" and then go to a chevy truck site and do a search for "700R4 failure". ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

JoshC said:
So the 700R4 is a 3 speed with OD right? The C6 and turbo 400 are 3 speeds. What is the C4, will it bolt up or does it require and adapter?

The c4 is a 3spd, but unlike the c6, has a removable bellhousing. It will bolt up to the 4.0 with a c5 bellhousing, c5 torque converter, and c5 122 tooth flexplate. Or you could just go with the c5, which is found in BII's. It's basically a slightly updated c4. The c4 has more aftermarket support. CoryL is running the c5. The c4 will have a 6 bolt tansfer case bolt pattern, which will mean that you will need a new tcase. The c5 bolts up to the borg warner unit. If I had to do it all over again, I would run a c4 with c5 bellhousing, especially if I had a tow rig/daily driver. But, since mine is still a daily driver, I just had to have overdrive :rolleyes:

Back