How to: Fix Rear Door Handle

MattStarr

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
St Petersburg, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' EB Expedition
My rear passenger door handle wont work from the insids, it's stuck in the open position. I took the door apart and these are the pictures i got. The handle on the outside of the door still works just fine. I didnt break it, someone in the back pulled on it and said it wouldnt work, I was like, what??? So I went and checked it and this is what I found. I couldnt tell you how it happened though. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. MATT

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 4,765
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 4,742
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 4,725

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

more

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 4,695
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 4,638
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 4,656

even more

Attachments

• 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 4,644
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 4,615
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 4,620

last set

Attachments

• 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 4,627
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 4,648

same thing happened to ours way back in the day...back when my mom owned it, anyway, we have a really good dealer and they fixed ours for free...dont know how, though

Looks like the plastic "gear-tooth" on the handle broke and it's jammed in the gear. Take of the plastic handle part and move it around the broken piece should fall out. If it's not that, then it's probably stuck elsewhere.

etc said:
Looks like the plastic "gear-tooth" on the handle broke and it's jammed in the gear. Take of the plastic handle part and move it around the broken piece should fall out. If it's not that, then it's probably stuck elsewhere.

Is this as simple as just removing all the screws?

Yeah, there are 2(maybe 3?) screws holding the handle on. Then you just gotta pivot it a little to unhook it from the hook(covered with the white mesh) that runs along to the latch

Same thing happened to mine.
Replacement handle is 5-10 Bucks the biggest pain is accessing the screws which you all ready have done. Take the 2 screws off, handle comes out turn & take off metal rod, same thing to install new one in reverse.

It will literally take you 1-2 minutes if your slow like me...

Alto said:
Same thing happened to mine.
Replacement handle is 5-10 Bucks the biggest pain is accessing the screws which you all ready have done. Take the 2 screws off, handle comes out turn & take off metal rod, same thing to install new one in reverse.

It will literally take you 1-2 minutes if your slow like me...

Im an idiot ;) Could you please tell me in a little more detail? I have the 2 silver screws out, but I cant get the handle off. Also where did u get the replacement handle? Dealer? Thanks man. MATT

Reach inside the door jam, unhook the rod from the handle, pull the handle out. You'll be able to see the tooth missing on the handle gears. My door's torn up the same way right now, going to the dealer to get a new handle tomorrow. I've been told its $16 from the dealer, which isn't bad. Ebay handles go for $14.95. Good luck, should be an easy repair.

Well, I just went and took the handle off, not too bad. I guess I will go to Ford tomorow and get a new. I just need the black handle right? The rod is still ok that goes from the handle mechanism to the latch. ( i think).

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 4,549
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 4,508
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 4,521

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 4,663

Correct Matt, you have the exact same problem I do. I'll let you know how it goes at the dealer for me, let me know how it goes for you if you get there before I do.

jayhawkexplorer said:
Correct Matt, you have the exact same problem I do. I'll let you know how it goes at the dealer for me, let me know how it goes for you if you get there before I do.

will do

Ok Matt, my dealer had the part in stock and it cost me $13.45 and it also came with the foam that goes around the handle. Not a bad deal, considering they're $15 on Ebay.

I've got this same problem on both of my rear doors. One of my friends is so irritated with riding in the back, he keeps mentioning how he wants to fix the problem once I buy the parts. Very helpful thread, thanks guys.

jayhawkexplorer said:
Ok Matt, my dealer had the part in stock and it cost me $13.45 and it also came with the foam that goes around the handle. Not a bad deal, considering they're $15 on Ebay.

It was $13.45 at the dealer here too. I got the foam piece as well :) I just put it back on it took about 5 minutes!! Door is working and operational, thanks guys!!

I dont even wanna know what the dealer would have charged to fix that!!

Glad it worked out well for you Matt; maybe you and I have collaborated on a thread so good that it can be put into the "useful" threads collection. *trumpets sounding, people cheering* way to go jayhawkexplorer and mattstarr! :D :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jayhawkexplorer said:
Glad it worked out well for you Matt; maybe you and I have collaborated on a thread so good that it can be put into the "useful" threads collection. *trumpets sounding, people cheering* way to go jayhawkexplorer and mattstarr! :D :D

LOL... maybe, it seems alot of people have this problem, but they think its too expensive to fix themselves.. we proved them wrong!!

Back