Aquapel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aquapel

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes. I didn't think it was appreciably better.

I have used Rain X products ( both the original glass treatment as well as their Windshield Wax ) on my windshields for years and have generally been pleased with the results. However, I am always on the lookout for something better and will experiment with different products.

A close friend told me about the PPG product Aquapel; he was very pleased with this glass treatment.

I thought I would give it a try. So I ordered some from a vendor on eBay ( http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQ...dsperpageZ50QQsosortorderZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1 ). I ordered the 4-treatment pack for $21.95 plus shipping.

This price seemed costly compared to Rain X yet my friend assured me it was worth it.

Aquapel was originally developed for the aviation industry by PPG to improve clarity of vision on commercial and private aircraft, Aquapel is now available for the automotive industry.

They claim that one application will last 6-8 months on most windshields. My experience with Rain X showed that a treatment never lasted much more than a few weeks.

They also state that “Aquapel produces a 115 degree contact angle with the glass, while silicone based treatments [ such as Rain X ] only produce a 90 degree contact angle. The greater the contact angle, the easier the water will come loose (bead up) from the glass surface. Putting it another way, the greater the contact angle, the less adhesion water will have to the glass.â€￾

Are their claims simply hype are they the real deal, we shall soon see…

Prior to treatment, thoroughly clean and completely dry the glass.

The product comes in a well designed applicator ( see picture ). To use Aquapel, one simply squeezes the “wingsâ€￾ on the applicator until you hear a “poppingâ€￾ sound and feel the contents release. Now, simply wipe the glass with the soft side of the applicator until it is completely covered. The fluid will bead-up on the glass surface. Next, wipe the glass clean with a dry paper towel. It is recommended to re-apply the treatment in the “wipe areaâ€￾ of the windshield wipers.

Be careful not to get it on painted surfaces. If you accidentally do so, immediately wipe off with a damp cloth.

Wipe any residual treatment off the glass with a dry paper towel.

It took me less than 5 minutes to apply and wipe off the treatment. Time will tell its effectiveness. I shall post follow up reports.

Attachments

• aqu2 008.jpg
    aqu2 008.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 667

Al... I did exactly what you did - found it on E-bay, but a year or so ago. While it MAY have had some additional life over Rain-X... for the most part I thought the claims were exxagerated. The only plus was that it didn't create the wiper problem I sometimes get with Rain-X. I'll be curious to see how it performs for you. Me? I'm not a believer that it's significantly better.

I have had it on the windshield for two weeks now. Works great.

Today, I did the remainder of the glass on the drivers side and rear window and did the passenger side windows with Rain X. We shall see how they compare.

Al, I have seen that you have used many products on the glass of your Explorer. What are you trying to do exactly? Personally I use to wax my glass for the clean shine it left, but did not like the water bubbling up during rain storms and it made it hard to drive due to poor visability. Are you looking for something to make the glass easier to clean or scratch resistant? Clean windows is a must on a clean vehicle, but hard to achieve without streaking, IMHO.

Ronnie, to borrow from the Aquapel website, I am trying to do exactly what they claim to be able to do....

• Remarkably improves vision in the rain.

• Causes rain to bead up and roll right off.

• Makes it easier to clear dirt and bugs.

• Reduces glare in the rain, especially at night.

• Lasts for months in normal driving conditions

Ans so far, I am very pleased.

And, yes, I am constantly looking for better products and/or techniques to do most thing automotive/boat.

Yeah if you haven't used Rain-X or Aquapel, the improvement in vision in rain is astounding.. in light rain I rarely even bother to turn the wipers on if I am on the freeway with good wind speed to blow it off.

And Al, I think I got 3 on E-bay... still haven't popped the third one... maybe I will depending on your report on the side by side comparison... (windshield side by side would be more meaningful, but I understand)

Hm, sounds like something to look into. It rains here almost every day.

For the difference in price the aquapel would have to last a real looooong time.
Ronnie, if you havent tried it give it a shot. The added visibility is great. I use rainX.

Glacier991 said:
Yeah if you haven't used Rain-X or Aquapel, the improvement in vision(windshield side by side would be more meaningful, but I understand)

I know' wish I had thought to have done it when I first applied the Aqyapel.

However, I shall definately do it when the Aquapel wears off.

My take on the aquapel was that it MIGHT be a TAD superior, and MIGHT have lasted a bit longer... but for the $$ wasn't that much better... The wiper issue was important though. Rain-X invariably makes my wipers make noise and I have to lube them... I started using Rain-X on my airplane decades ago...so Aquapel didn't have a new idea<g>

I can't wait to use Aquapel on my boat; I have used RainX on her for years.

The RainX lasts less than a week on the Florida sun and saltwater splash.

Got my sample today, will put it on this weekend.

Jeff - :navajo:

I have heard many people, elsewhere, respond similarly to all the comments here. Personally, I haven't tried it, but others are telling me that it is easier to buff clean than Rain-X is. Less streaking and haze to fight with for days after the application.

I am on my 5th week with Aquapel on the windshield. Its still as good as it was day 1.

aldive said:
I have had it on the windshield for two weeks now. Works great.

Today, I did the remainder of the glass on the drivers side and rear window and did the passenger side windows with Rain X. We shall see how they compare.

That application was done on November 9.

Well, in the month that has passed the results are very clear. The Rain X treated glass no longer sheds water; the Rain X has lived its useful life. Yet the Aquapel treated glass is just like the day it was applied.

OK, OK Ya talked me into trying it. I'll get some tomorrow & see how it handels ice & snow & freezing rain.
Thanks for the update.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you just use this on the windshield? I'm thinking about front and hatch, front 2 windows, and side-mirrors. I hope this is easier to remove than Rain-X!

Back