Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
I have ~200,000 miles on my clutch. ( :eek: ) I have been having what I figure are failing slave cylinder symptoms for a year or two. They have been slowly getting worse, meaning it used to be hard to put in first and reverse, now it's all gears.

This week, I had an episode where it was like I had no clutch at all for about an hour. The clutch resevoir was just slightly low, so I topped it off and I've had clutch action since then. But I'm pretty sure I'm in the last minutes of my borrowed time. ;)

I plan to replace everything clutch wise. But I'm wondering, what kind of damage if any, have I been doing to the tranny by driving it with the hard shift problem for so long? I get some noises sometimes when shifting, but I don't know it that's clutch parts or tranny.

I want to drain the tranny today and see if there are shavings or worse in there. Is that okay, or better I just leave it until the clutch job, which may be a week or two? It has synthetic in there now. If I change it now, I will replace it with non-synthetic for the week or two. Would that be bad in any way? It's the M5OD, by the way.

TOA for any advice. :D

And if you are in the San Diego area, want to do the clutch for $ ? It is beyond my skills. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try driving without a clutch,when i had a 5 speed i just used the clutch to start and that was it just match the engine speed and the tranny speed and slip in to the next gear. just takes some practice.

Oh crap....Its not beyond your skill Bill! It may be beyond your patience level and time limit though! My first one with help took like 3 days...now I can do them in like 8 hours myself....

Your 5 speed should be fine. Change the fluid when you do the clutch.
replace the slave and the master at the same time, trust me on this.
Dont use a LUK clutch, they are CRAP.

Okay Jamie, MAYBE I could do it myself if I had no time constraints, but I need it for work. I'm thinking of buying a cheap '80's F150 to drive in the meantime. :D Good to see you on the board! You're not on much?!?

2002 68, that's how I have been driving it! Most of this past summer, anyways. It seems to be worse in hot weather.

I've been running a Luk pro gold series clutch in my truck for over a year now and have done fine by it. Not for nothign Luk does manufacture stock clutches for Ford, 200k miles isn't bad.

i Understand that but my experience with the Luk gold series clutch is they suck ass.
I said IMO. :)

yeah I am not on much anymore, sorry. Working two jobs and they have heavy restrictions here about access from work, jerks!

Anyways the Bii is doing fine, I am having a fresh OHV built as we speak, I will likely ditch the A4LD in favor of a C4 or possibly 700R4. Then again I may just go 5.0L, have not decided yet (probably should before I get the OHV built, right? well thats not how I do things hahaha)
Next is new shock mounts in the rear, this front/back OEM setup just does not cycle right with 6" of lift, at least not on my truck. Possbily going 4 link in the back with C/O, but I have seen some leaf spring setups that work *****in, so I am still undecided on that too...

This winter is body work and work out some bugs, sliders and a cage.......oh but before I can do that I have to buy a car :)

Sorry I moved man or I would help ya with the clutch.......
I still say you can do it, you'll be better off for it, and with those 37's you wont even need jack stands :)

The clutch slave cylinder and the throw out bearing are one piece units.

Get the Ford slave unit, it's the best one on the market. Most of the others are crap.

I had a Centerforce clutch in mine.. It was ok.

Is it clipping the gears? If so, you'll have shavings in the case, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Tom, define clipping the gears, please.

The noise you get when you shift into reverse while still moving..

Manual transmissions are capable of taking a LOT of abuse. It doesn't sound like you've done any damage (especially since you're aware of the clutch problem). When you drain the tranny, be sure to check the drain plug. It should have a magnet which will attract the metal in the fluid. As long as you don't find "large" chips (1/4" or bigger), the gearbox should be fine. If there's no magnet, check the bottom of the drain pan for particles.

As Jaime mentioned, it would be a good idea to replace the entire system, master, slave/TO, rubber lines, clutch disc, pressure plate, pressure plate bolts, pilot bearing (if it's a bushing, it won't be so easy) and at least resurface the flywheel (perhaps replace). It's a lot of work but it should last another 200K!

Good luck - Dave.

Back