Interior aroma | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior aroma

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I have tried various “potionsâ€￾ and fresheners to improve the smell of the interior of my truck. Hauling wet scuba equipment and my dogs sometimes result in a less than desirable aroma. Everything I have tried simply masks the odor with sometimes an even less desirable fragrance.

I am sure all of you have seen ads on TV for the Ionic Breeze Air Purifier from Sharper Image ( http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/productview/sku=SI737SNX/hppos=1 ). I have friends with this devise and it is amazing,

Sharper Image also offers a version for automobiles – the Ionic Breeze Dashboard Ionizer. I figured that I would give it a try. I ordered one and it arrived today. I installed it ( simply plug into a lighter socket ) and we shall see what happens.

I ordered it from Sharper Image - http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/product.jhtml?sku=SI629BLK&product=SI737SNX .

Attachments

• SI629BLK-PIP.jpg
    SI629BLK-PIP.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 1,621

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I have no odor problems that I'm aware of, but I'm curious about how well it works. Let us know!

I'd like to know if it works too. See if it will get rid of the stale air feeling wen you get in the car after it has sat for a few days.

Al, I have one that I got when I bought 2 of those larger breeze machines. I can't tell any difference with it myself. Personally I like the smell of the leather conditioner from Zaino. The car freshner by SharperImage just doesn't cut it like in the home. I love the ones in the home. Hope you have better luck than me in the vehicle with one.

I prefer the New Car flavor of the "x-mas tree freshener." I have about 10 of them in my X.

Arnie897 said:
I prefer the New Car flavor of the "x-mas tree freshener." I have about 10 of them in my X.

Those can be strong though!!!

Will that run all the time Al since you've used the lighter? I'd be worried about running the battery down over extended periods of inactivity.

I have the coconut version of the Yankee Candle Company's Jar in a Car thing, or was it Car in a Jar. Oh well... Anyways...this thing smells good!!! It's been in my car for about a month and you can still smell it.

I wish they made a CAM2 air freshener. :)

Being a Christian man, I shouldnt admit to this but, once I drove 500 mi. out of state to go ocean fishing in a rental car. When I went out to go back home (2 DAYS LATER)
being ever alert, I quickly realized that the gunny sacks that formerly held barracuda, sheepshead, yellowtail, and other assorted rock fish were still laying on the backseat floorboard!!! GAG.... :eek: Long story short: I dont care much for my 25 yr old nephew...This guy wont blow his nose on toilet paper because "That's for wiping your butt, not your nose"... No lie! Anywhoo, 'Wussie boy' had some Calvin Klien bar type deoderant in his bathroom sooo......My ride home was peacefull with a sweet fragrance just barely tinged with the smell of the great outdoors!!! Manly ..yes!!! I kinda felt bad at first, but then again, I didnt use it all up and I DID put it back in his medicine cabinet!!! :D

MCTOY

I heard the Ionic Breeze does nothing. It ionizes the air, so wouldn't it be good for working with circuit boards and all that? I dunno.

My kid got me an ionic breeze last Xmas, did'nt work at all IMO.

Actually, Consumer Reports did a test on air purifiers not long ago and they also concluded that the ionic breeze didn't do anything at all. The only purifiers that are good are the ones that actually has a fan and filter. Now, I'm not a big Consumer Reports guy, but it does really make sense.

The best vehicle smell is my Limited; leather and cherry mixed in. :thumbsup:

[QUOTE='96explorereddiebauer]Actually, Consumer Reports did a test on air purifiers not long ago and they also concluded that the ionic breeze didn't do anything at all. The only purifiers that are good are the ones that actually has a fan and filter. Now, I'm not a big Consumer Reports guy, but it does really make sense.[/QUOTE]

The jury is still out on the automotive unit that I am testing. However, the home units are indeed amazing devices, I have a friend with severe asthma and he is able to function at a much better lever since installing them in his home. I have other friends with the home units and all highly recommend them. I have never heard a negative thing about the home units. I have used the home unit in the cabin of my boat with excellent results.

having a positive result doesn't mean it works.

the mind has an incredible power to "know" something works because it just spent $ on it and believes that it is going to work.

how many people think the tornado works? (i mean in the general public)

expo5.0 said:
having a positive result doesn't mean it works.

For a person with asthma it definately does. "It works" means the difference in quality of their life.

I think Andy Roony said it, but "the best smell is no smell at all." I agree pretty much. I'd rather have a truck free of dust, dirt, rotten things, and other biological hazards (my truck is clean, but when you buy a used truck, you never know what exactly people do in the back seat besides spill pop and drop french fries under the seats...) So I make sure to clean the interior pretty darn good (Lysol and rubber gloves included)

I've used the orek one and it worked good without filters... but it had a fan

i repeat my previous statement

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:usa: The smell is in the padding of the carpet. My buddy had the problem and pulled the seats replaced the pad. Wella smell is gone! An air freshner will treat the smell after it leaves the carpet but your pad is breading the mildew and mold.

Back