Bullitt Fuel Door Installation ( detailed ) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bullitt Fuel Door Installation ( detailed )

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I decided that I needed another truck project; I choose the addition of a Bullitt Fuel Door. The item in question is the Ford Racing OE fuel door ( M2301E ) from the new Bullitt edition Mustang ( that special model that pays homage the famous 1968 Mustang [ http://www.impactsites2000.com/autozone/bullitt.htm ] used by Steve McQueen in the movie Bullitt ). It just so happens that my first new car was a 1968 fastback Mustang the same color as the movie version.

Ronnie conducted a Group Buy of this product back in June ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110480 ) but I just couldn't’t make up my mind at that time.

More often than not I get screwed when I do not jump on the Group Buy; however, in this case, I actually made out and got a better price. The door is now offered for only $69.95 ( http://secure.50resto.com/product1.cfm?SID=1&Product_ID=411&Category_ID=1157 ), I placed my order and soon it was at my doorstep.

I gave some consideration to painting the new door to match the body ( Metallic Chestnut ), but decided the brushed aluminum finish looks just right on my Explorer.

First, the stock fuel door has to be removed. This is accomplished by taking out the three screws that holds the plastic housing around the fuel neck ( removing these screws allows the plastic piece to be pushed back to afford more room to work on removing the door ) and then unbolting the two studs that hold the door on ( it takes a short open end 10mm wrench to get at these buggers and a ample dose of patience ) and the two rubber bump stops must be pulled out. This was the most difficult part of the project as well as the most time consuming.

Subsequently, the new door was set in place to assess the fit. The fit is superior, albeit not perfect. No trimming or modifying of the opening is required. The screws securing the plastic piece were reinstalled. Only one of the mounting holes in the door line up with two original hinge holes. This is easily remedied by simply drilling a new hole. The screws at the top and bottom of the door assembly are not attached; there is nowhere to drill into for them; looks only. The rear of the fuel door has two plastic clips attached with screws. I had to take out the clips and first attach them to the body ( special thanks go to 98 mounty for the suggestion ) and then screw the door into the clips.

The installation took about 1 ½ hours working at a leisurely pace.

As you can see from the photos below, the new fuel door makes a distinctive and striking addition to the Explorer’s profile. The only negatives are (1) the fit is not spot on; I doubt that a casual onlooker would ever be able to perceive the fit and (2) if you have large hands, removing/replacing the gas cap off is more difficult than with the stock door.

All things considered, I am thrilled with the install.

Attachments

• fuek opening1.jpg
    fuek opening1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 2,184
  • truck interior 008.jpg
    truck interior 008.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 2,132
  • truck interior 007.jpg
    truck interior 007.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 2,166

Back