Baumann Engineering 4R70W Shift Kit Install: PICS! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Baumann Engineering 4R70W Shift Kit Install: PICS!

V8BoatBuilder

Transplanted Bostonian
Reaction score
City, State
East Brunswick, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer V8 4x4
I haven't done a "how-to" thead with photos in a while, mostly because I've been at work or in school and unable to wrench on the truck. I've wanted to install the Baumann Engineering shift kit for a while, and finally ordered it and put it in. In addition to the shift kit, I ordered their torque converter application valve update for the extra $30. While I was in the valve body, it made sense to do it. http://www.baumannengineering.com/

Based on a few threads on here, I decided to set my 1-2 shift to stage "2" and the rest of the shifts to stage "3." I spend a lot of time in stop and go traffic, and also in the snow and ice. I didn't want to spill my morning coffee or break traction on the often used 1-2 shift. More on shift selection later.

I started by draining the transmission fluid and removing the pan and filter. Last year, I had installed a transmission pan drain plug, came in handy this time around:

1342201Tranny_Pan_inside.jpg

1342202Tranny_Pan_outside.jpg

I took out about 9 quarts of ATF, and refilled about the same. Only 5 came down in the pan, the rest came slowly dribbling out as I dropped the valve body. I disconnected the electronics, and then removed the 25 8mm bolts that hold the valve body to the trans body. Two of them also hold brackets for the shift selector. I removed all but 4 bolts, and then let the valve body hang on those bolts while I held it in position. It's very heavy! If the valve body doesn't drop onto the loose bolts, you most likely missed one. The gasket's don't have enough pressure to hold this thing on. There are no linkages holding on.

Here is a photo of the underside of the 4R70W without the valve body:
1342203-4R70W_without_valve_body.jpg

The valve body removed from the truck and on my workbench:
1342204-Valve_Body_underside.jpg

1342205-Valve_body_topside.jpg

I've found borrowed dining hall trays invaluable for work on the truck! Once the valve body was on my bench, I removed the sperator plate.

Valve Body Disassembled, seperator plate removed:
1342206-Valve_Body_disassembled.jpg

Seperator plate gaskets:
1342207-sep_plate_gaskets.jpg

Included in the kit is an awesome instruction manual, some Baumann parts, and the Sonnax parts I ordered.

Sonnax and Baumann transmission parts:
1342208-Sonnax_Parts.jpg

Baumann supplied drill bits:
1342209-Baumann_Drill_Bits.jpg

Keeping the drillbits in order is very important. We're working with super close tolerances here. Once I selected which shift levels I wanted, I cleaned off the ATF from the sperator plate with brake cleaner, then marked the seperator plate with Sharpie. I didn't want to drill the wrong hole! The drillpress was invaluable here.

Marking the seperator plate with Sharpie:
1342211-sharpie_your_sep_plate.jpg

Drilling the seperator plate:
1342210-drilling_seperator_plate.jpg

In addition to drilling the seperator plate, part of firming up the 1-2 shift lies in the 1-2 accumulator. It's in the transmission body, but accessed from below. It's held it with a pretty beefy snap ring, so use real snap ring pliers and wear saftey gogles. A spring is replaced, and some shims are added. Pay attention to the late model 4R70W instructions here, things have changed since the AOD-E.

Ford original 1-2 Accumulator assembly:
1342213-Accumulator.jpg

Baumann vs. Ford upper accumulator spring comparison:
1342212-Accumulator_spring_comparison.jpg

(The Baumann spring is the silver one)

Compressing the 1-2 accumulator to re-install the snap ring was proving to be a challenge, untill I put my bottle jack on a milk-crate to hold it in place while I reinstalled the ring.

Re-installing the spring loaded 1-2 Accumulator:
1342214-Accumulator_Jack.jpg

After that, there were some valves replaced or shimmed in the valve body, and then the body was re-installed into the truck. The torque converter control valve from Sonnax also detialed drilling another hole in the sperator plate.

I cleaned everything with brake cleaner, then pre-lubed it with ATF before reassembly. It was hard to keep it all clean.

On my first test drive I was impressed, but the shifts weren't as firm as I would have imagined. The transmission seemed crisper, and more solid. Downshifts were improved also. If I had to do it over again, I might have gone stage 4, but time will tell. In the explorer 4R70W, many of the passages are already enlarged from what Baumann says that they should be. Since the seperator plate holes are a mater of relative size, I think our stage "3" is a stang AOD-E stage "2." I could be wrong here.

I think it was a good, worthwile mod. Took about 6 hours to complete, including a lunch break. It ended up costing close to $200, the kit and extra parts were $150, and 10 quarts of Mercon V isn't cheap.

More to follow.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great write up. I have found that with the 4R70W, especially in the trucks, go with the stage 3 on the 1-2, and the 4 on the 2-3, for performance purposes. With you being in the ice, I think you made a sound decision for the time being.

I've found that the shift kit changes are quite compatable with further electronic modifications (chip, tuner, etc) so that further advanced changes can be made. For example and without drastic line pressure increases (this causes premature failure) one can fine tune shifts to the liking with the already introduced mechanical shift kit advantages.

performancenut said:
I've found that the shift kit changes are quite compatable with further electronic modifications (chip, tuner, etc) so that further advanced changes can be made. For example and without drastic line pressure increases (this causes premature failure) one can fine tune shifts to the liking with the already introduced mechanical shift kit advantages.

Yes you are correct, though you need to make sure if its installed by a shop or "buddy" that you know exactly what springs and modifications have been made. I have actually tuned a truck without being told it had a heavy duty shift kit in it, upped the pressures and blew the solenoids :(

HypIllAuto said:
Yes you are correct, though you need to make sure if its installed by a shop or "buddy" that you know exactly what springs and modifications have been made. I have actually tuned a truck without being told it had a heavy duty shift kit in it, upped the pressures and blew the solenoids :(

This certainly emphasizes the need to inform your tuner of the current mods. including specifics about after market upgrades. However, the thread is about V-8 Boatboy's experience with his install so I'll stick to that concept in this thread. :p

performancenut said:
This certainly emphasizes the need to inform your tuner of the current mods. including specifics about after market upgrades. However, the thread is about V-8 Boatboy's experience with his install so I'll stick to that concept in this thread. :p

Agreed :thumbsup:

Bottle jack is a great idea! I did the 1-2 Accumulator by hand - a whole lot of cussin' was involved!

Thanks for the replies guys. I've thought about getting a chip, but I'm waiting for $$ and to make further mods. The biggest thing I would like to change about the transmission, programming wise, are the shift points. Currently it shifts too soon and drops the engine into a lower RPM range than is optimal, especially around 35-40mph.

Todd: I started to do the 1-2 by just pressing it up, but saw my bottle jack in the corner of the garage and it was perfect! Took a little fussing and messing to get it to line up properly, so the accumulator piston was indeed being pushed straight up into the bore, and not canted.

Aaron,

If you go back in there, it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the 2-3 accumulator while your at it. You can check out the tranny articles over at TCCoA. I did the J-mod to my 4R in the T-Bird and love it! :D

Joe

Very Nice Aaron. More then what I could ever do. Did you get that tray from Burger King? LMAO

Fordexplorer157 said:
Very Nice Aaron. More then what I could ever do. Did you get that tray from Burger King? LMAO

Thanks man! Actually, those trays are from school. We take them out of the dining halls under our jackets to sled on. A whole bunch ended up in my trunk, and a whole nother set ended up in my dorm. The rest is history. I ended up using them to keep parts together and contain fluids when I did my head gasket and head rebuild in the spring, since then they've become a permanant fixture in the garage.

Rodeo Joe said:
Aaron,

If you go back in there, it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the 2-3 accumulator while your at it. You can check out the tranny articles over at TCCoA. I did the J-mod to my 4R in the T-Bird and love it! :D

Joe

Joe,

I spent some time on tccoa.com, and much like corral.net, there is a lot of good 5.0/4r70w info there. I did not know about the J-Mod, and am investigating it further now, very intriguing.

I'm sure you've read this many times, but the info contained here: http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/transmission/page1.shtml is awesome. I suggest everyone with a 4R70W read that. The J-Mod instructions begin on page 12.

What doesn't surprise me is the allegance to eithe the J-Mod or the Baumann kit people have. Gotta love the internet, drilling the seperator plate and shimming the accumulators creates a debate as big as Fords vs. Chevys. A lot of the J-Mod guys seem to think the Baumann kit is trash, which is odd, considering the great press it gets everywhere else.

the J-mod is named from Jerry who is the creater of the SCT software. the aftermarket for community owes a lot to him.

Actually, the J in the J mod is Jerry GREEN, not Jerry Wroblewski of SCT.
J W was one of the programmers for the EEC original source code, J G is the tranny god.

blk mk8 said:
the J-mod is named from Jerry who is the creater of the SCT software. the aftermarket for community owes a lot to him.

I'm not sure who Jerry Green is. But everything I've seen and read from Jerry W., he was an engineer with Ford in the design of this transmission.

Joe

If I am incorrect, I will say so. I sent an email to the site Admin at TCCOA to get the answer.

*Update*
I stand corrected, I didnt have to wait until the admin contacted me, I just dug through their site. Hmmm...thats interesting. I say that because I asked Jerry W a tranny question at a dyno day, and he laughed, and told me to read up. Maybe his articles is what he meant LOL

HypIllAuto said:
I stand corrected. I say that because I asked Jerry W a tranny question at a dyno day, and he laughed, and told me to read up. Maybe his articles is what he meant LOL
I agree! He's the man! :thumbsup:

Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

all i cna say is holy crap dude i think i would have just bought a reco... great work !!

Back