dreamr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lynnwood WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL / 4x4 / 4.0 ohv
Well where to start.

Part of the whole winters project was gearing and a locker, but I keep putting it off due to the cost.

I can't stand the current gearing with 33's and I desperately need overdrive back under 65mph.

My last dilemma is the locker for the rear.
Currently I am locking the rear only as kind of a insurance policy as I should rarely need it..............................unless of course I want to use it :D

There are currently three selectable lockers in my line up for the 8.8, and in stock at Randy's Ring and Pinion who will be doing the install.

Auburn Ected.....Electronically selected locker, functions as a limited slip in
the off position.

Eaton E-Locker.......Electronically actuated locker, functions as a open
differential in the off position

ARB............Air actuated locker............open dif when off... Adds on board air

I am leaning toward one of the electric lockers as they are a few hundred dollars less in functional form, as well as they seem to be a bit more reliable than the air lockers,

Anyway. can any one offer any advice or input to help me make a more educated decision. I know a few of you are running the lockers listed above, so let me know what you have thought of them .

Any drawbacks to one or another?

Thanks in advance
Dreamr

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's Randy's charging for the install? I'd get the Auburn because I like LS :D I know ARB is very expensive and requires a compressor.

dreamr said:
Well where to start.

Thanks in advance
Dreamr
I'd use a couple bobby pins myself. :D :D :D :p

huskyfan23 said:
What's Randy's charging for the install? I'd get the Auburn because I like LS :D I know ARB is very expensive and requires a compressor.

They wanted 2100 for gears, locker, rebuild and install kits for the difs, and of course labor. I am still shopping around, but can't find a shop I like for cheaper, nor that can get it back to me in 6 hours like Randy's promised.

dreamr said:
Well where to start.

Part of the whole winters project was gearing and a locker, but I keep putting it off due to the cost.

I can't stand the current gearing with 33's and I desperately need overdrive back under 65mph.

My last dilemma is the locker for the rear.
Currently I am locking the rear only as kind of a insurance policy as I should rarely need it..............................unless of course I want to use it :D

There are currently three selectable lockers in my line up for the 8.8, and in stock at Randy's Ring and Pinion who will be doing the install.

Auburn Ected.....Electronically selected locker, functions as a limited slip in
the off position.

Eaton E-Locker.......Electronically actuated locker, functions as a open
differential in the off position

ARB............Air actuated locker............open dif when off... Adds on board air

I am leaning toward one of the electric lockers as they are a few hundred dollars less in functional form, as well as they seem to be a bit more reliable than the air lockers,

Anyway. can any one offer any advice or input to help me make a more educated decision. I know a few of you are running the lockers listed above, so let me know what you have thought of them .

Any drawbacks to one or another?

Thanks in advance
Dreamr

Im running the eaton e-locker. its awesome. open when you need it, locked when necessary. i needed great snow control, and an open works best in the snow.

Limited slips cause problems on a 4wd. i had one in mine and hated it. It was just enough traction to get really stuck!

-joshua

I would go ARB. Having a compressor would be cool, and if you had a small tank, you could even run air tools I think. I also think all the earlier ARB's had problems, but not the new 3rd gens.

Jefe has one of those limited slip electric lockers and he was having problems with it not staying locked when he really needed it at the truckhaven run.

Premier said:
I would go ARB. Having a compressor would be cool, and if you had a small tank, you could even run air tools I think. I also think all the earlier ARB's had problems, but not the new 3rd gens.

My biggest problem with the air-locker is the extra hundred plus having to buy the compressor and such. The e-locker is just a switch and wire.

As to the LS, I do have concerns in slippery conditions. I have never owned a 4x4 before this rig, but my dad always claimed that Limited slip would put you at the bottom of the hill on your top if it was slick and off camber.

RockRanger said:
Jefe has one of those limited slip electric lockers and he was having problems with it not staying locked when he really needed it at the truckhaven run.

That I don't need.......
Any idea which model........
Hey Jefe.......................

Jefe has the elec trac by detroit.

RockRanger said:
So did Piney at TRS at our winter run two weeks ago. Works good when it works. For the price I think it's tough to beat a Powertrax No-Slip.

JohnnyO said:
So did Piney at TRS at our winter run two weeks ago. Works good when it works. For the price I think it's tough to beat a Powertrax No-Slip.

Randy's didn't hacve much good to say about the elec-trac either. They think I should go auburn, I think I should go Eaton. Hmmmmmm...................................................

As for the powertrax, I don't want a full locker or a auto locker. I drive this vehicle all over a very busy citty, and the last thing I need are the poor road manners of such a device. Nope I need an on and off button :D

Locker

I got 4.56 gears front & rear, two master rebuild kits and the Ected from J.T.'s Parts & Accessories jeremy-ayers@comcast.net for $1,020 shipped to CA

This guy sells on Ebay & everything went smooth.

I still need to get them installed, I'm waiting to see what I'm going to do for the front. AussieLockers says they will have one for the front by the end of Feb. But they have been saying that for years!

I think I will end up with the ARB in the front, that way I also get the onboard air.

ARB doesnt make a locker for the front of a '99.

All selectable lockers seem to have issues. Hell, I even saw a guy with an OX locker which is supposed to be unkillable and he was having engagement issues, they all do. Personally If i had to do it over again (no lockright) I would go straight for a spool. Spools are stronger, they never have engagement issues and personally I think they handle better on the street than a non selectable locker. As far as the 3 you have listed, I'd personally go with the Eaton, I've heard alot of good things about them and in my opinion theyre alot more simple an than arb. No air line to leak, no compressor to break, no fittings to leak. All you need is 12 volts.

Subscribing... Im deciding between the auburn and the eaton myself

I still say a couple of hair pins are the best way to pick a locker :p

That's it Bryce, spend my tax dollars and never offer me a ride :rolleyes:

Albino 94LTD said:
I still say a couple of hair pins are the best way to pick a locker :p

That's it Bryce, spend my tax dollars and never offer me a ride :rolleyes:

I don't get the hairpins :confused:

And this time it's the finance company dishing out cash, not my pay masters sending your tax money my way. You can still have a ride though :D

I have been leaning more toward the Eaton because one, as Doug said, it is simpler, secondly I think that I will prefer open difs over L/S both on and off road.

Which leads to the question to those with a bit of experience. How does an open dif perform off road vs. L/S. Particularly on slick side hills which I see a lot of in the sptring and late fall. It seems that having the downhill tire not spin often keeps me from sliding sideways. Something that is a definite benefit in some scenario's. The added traction of the L/S would probably prove useful in climbs, but I would still have the locker if needed.
Hmmm Any opinions

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I have been reading more on Auburn and Eatons web sites to try and decide before making an appointment tomorrow.

It seems that the ECTED is actually an electronically controlled traction device. Meaning that rather than flipping a switch and being fully locked or open, it is a L/S that is controlled electronically. as torque is needed at one spot or another it transfers it there rather than fully locking the rear.

They say that it can adjust itself from a open position to 100% torque transfer. Which is cool, but I am sick of computers controlling it all. I want to flip a switch and be locked not let it decide what to do.

Eaton it is. (they want $670 :( )

Back