Ignition lock replacement..I searched | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ignition lock replacement..I searched

Post number 5 has been selected as best answered.

Espresso

Reaction score
City, State
Port Charlotte, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Ignition lock replacement..I searched*PICS ADDED*

I believe I found the reason I have been having all my problems.
I can remove my key from the lock in ANY position. It take little effort( you just cant pull it out, it wigles slightly & comes out). Plus the chrome piece that says "lock" on it can just spin around now.
My only problem is. I cant find/dont have the pin to push in to remove the lock. Ford said they want like $230 to replace it. I told them to bite me.
I have the tilt whell if that makes any difference.

I have seen probably 30 posts about people that have replaced it/tried to. But instead of posting how, they say "ask me how" or they just get on response at all.
Do I need to remove the steering wheel/ As one person said( they have a tilt wheel) They didnt have to & ofcourse offed no insight on how to do it.. But that was in a post from 3 years ago.

I already have the lock from AZ, but i'm thinking of taking it to a locksmth to put in new tumblers.

Thoughts, comments?

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is the problem. I dont have a push pin to push in. I just even had the locksmith look at it & he is stumped.
I got the lock form AutoZone. The funny thing is the directions with the lock & those on the AZ site are different. As are the direction from the Haynes & even ALLDATA.
Everyone of them says to do it different.
The one from Alldata says I need to remove the steering wheel.
I have all the covers off of it already top & bottom & we can find anything( buttons, ect) to push & get this thing out of there.

don't have the haynes manual with me. But the AZ guide I posted says to remove the sterring wheel step 1. Also I didn't see where it refered to using push pin, it says to use a small screwdriver or small punch. This is about all I know about this. As I have not done this yet or even looked at the lock. Still a few weeks away from replacing it. But if you do happen to figure it out please post it.

Thanks
ZY

Ok, I got it.

I just went back out there with my coffe & a fresh mind. I actually had to recline the seat all the way back & lay down on it & get under the thing. The hole was tucked way under some crap, which was a "POAO( previous owner add on)".
I think they had a kill switch or some crap hooked up.
Anyway. After I cracked my back & it went into spasm I saw the hole & stuck the allen key up in ther & out it came. It DOOES need to be in the ON position to be put in. NOT the RUN, but the ON. I slid it in there, but had to put it back into the RUN position befor eit could go all the way in. Then it slid into place with no troubles.
I didnt have to remove the instrument panel cover. I just removed the 2 screws at the bottom & the shroud came right off & went on with no troubles.
SO in all the total time to actually do it took less than 20 minutes once everything was figured out.

1. Disconnect battery.
2. Remove shrould screws(2)
3. Remove lower shroud( I did all of it but like it said only the bottom was nessessary).
4. Put key in ON position.
5. Stick pin/allen key/screwdriver that is about 1/8" & 5 ' long into hole.
6 Remove lock
7. Install lock( most come preset so DONOT turn it). I had to put it into the RUN position on mine. It came in the ON position, to get into the cyl, But I had to turn it.
8. Replace lower shroud & reconnect battery.
Done

I'll post some pics in a minute.

Lower shroud removed
ignition1.jpg

3mm craftsman allen wrench
ignition5.jpg

Location of hole w/ allen wrench( cant get the flash to get the hole)
ignition3.jpg

Location of hole is right next to the hole( it's actually about an 1" up into the coulum) for the screw that holds the shrouds together.
ignition7.jpg

great shots, this is coming up for me and this will help me a ton. again kudos to you :cool: :thumbsup:

btw ...where is "on" is it back for accessories or where the lock rests after start up

Sorry I just saw this. It is after off. It goes like this( how I cna describe it easily)...
Pos. 1 LOCK( when you can put in & take out your key)
Pos. 2 OFF (turns off everything but allows yo uto test the system)
Pos. 3 START( everything comes on right before you start the vehicle)
Pos. 4 RUN ( when yo ustart it up)
Pos. 5 ACC ( 1 turn counterclockwise from the lock postion)

Hey there nascar intimidator! I'm from St. Catherines too!! We should do some wheelin some time. Know any trails besides behind GM? I just changed my whole column on my 91, the price was right.

Thanks for the pics. I went to the local U-Wrench-It and got the ignition switch out in about 2 minutes total. Took it out to my ride and installed about the same time. You made it very easy for me. Thanks again from Virginia Beach, Va.
Deron

Back