Mac Intake Install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mac Intake Install

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
In preparation for the dyno testing/tuning of my truck at Doug’s ( Bama Chips ), Ronnie ( BBQ_HotDogs ) let me borrow his Mac Intake ( http://www.macperformance.com ) and his Pro-M ( http://pro-flow.com/Ford/Ford.htm ) MAF for the testing.

After carefully looking at the Mac intake that Ronnie sent me, I decided I just had to have one of my own ( I inquired about buying Ronnie’s but his is already promised to someone else ), consequently I ordered one Proficient Performance ( http://www.proficientperformance.com/ ) for $139,00. I would not recommend this company due to their lack of customer service ( no response to e mail inquiries about order, providing an invalid tracking number [ the invoice said they were shipping Fed Ex and the package cane UPS ], slow shipping ). Doug and I will still be testing Ronnie’s Pro-M MAF.

I wanted to get some gas mileage data using the Mac Intake with the stock Ford as well as with the Pro-M MAF prior to the trip to Alabama.

The installation of the Mac Intake is simple and straightforward; even easier since I had a KKM intake instead of the stock airbox. First, the stock air tube needs to be removed from the TB, the crankcase vent hose and hard plastic tube are then removed from the air tube. With the stock air tube out of the way, the MAF and the KKM filter can easily be removed after loosing the mounting bracket

The first phase of the test will be with the stock Ford MAF and the Mac intake.

The installation is straightforward, yet the instructions provided by Mac are next to worthless and might make the install difficult for some.

The negative cable from the battery is removed, To install the Mac, the steel ( mine is chrome, the one Ronnie loaned me was black and much more substantial ) mounting bracket is attacked to the location of the former stock airbox ( see picture ). Next attach the chrome air tube assembly to the TB with the blue “rubber” sleeve and hose clamps. Now attach the MAF to the mounting bracket with 4 bolts provided with the kit. This is followed by attaching the chrome air tube to the MAF with a blue “rubber” sleeve and hose clamps. The Mac air filter is now attached to the mounting bracket with a hose clamp. All that is left to do is attach the crankcase vent hose ( the port provided by Mac for this was totally inadequate; I had to engineer a way for the hose fitting to work ) and the plastic tube ( this goes into a rubber adapter ). The chrome air tube that Ronnie loaned me had an additional port for an external ( from the MAF ) IAT sensor ( only used when the MAF is a 4 pin model, the stock MAF ( on my ’99 ) uses a 6 pin connector with a built in IAT; Ronnie’s must have had an external IAT since his Pro-M MAF is a 4 pin model ). The negative battery cable is now reattached.

The Mac Intake is unquestionably an attractive addition to the engine bay. The installation took about 15 minutes.

The truck was started and all connections checked. Observations after quick drive through the neighborhood revealed that the sound of the intake is very similar to the KKM that I replaced it with; I noticed no difference in drivability. The only apparent difference was in the bling-bling; this Mac just looks good.

A road trip in now in order to appraise mileage and general subjective observations ( seat of the britches power, sound, etc. ). The mileage will be evaluated using one of Doug’s computer tunes ( 89 performance tune ). Report to follow in a few days.

Attachments

• DSC00815.JPG
    DSC00815.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,486
  • DSC00817.JPG
    DSC00817.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,483
  • DSC00821.JPG
    DSC00821.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,846

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hate to hijack your thread Al, but im curious as to if you notice any longterm difference with the oval style filter over the cone shaped KKM style that you used to have. When I purchased my MAC Intake they sent me a cone filter that looks like this but is a bit smaller (bascially the same as the KKM).

mtb990098.jpg

I'm curious as to if the oval does anything different since it seems bigger...

mac35040.jpg

I've been told the cone is better because it sucks in more air w/ the inverted tip but just curious as to if you notice any differences.

I don't mean to hi-jack your thread either but not personally seeing the mac or kkm is it possible to get a mac intake and install a kkm filter instead of the mac filter that comes with it, has anyone tried this before ?

ExplorerSportNu said:
I don't mean to hi-jack your thread either but not personally seeing the mac or kkm is it possible to get a mac intake and install a kkm filter instead of the mac filter that comes with it, has anyone tried this before ?

Yes, that is possible, but I see no reason to do it.

KKM does not make a filter; they use filters from S & B.

Than again you could also use a Stainless Steel filter

Attachments

• Mvc-007s.jpg
    Mvc-007s.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,476

I bought the Mac intake almost a year ago. And I really enjoy it. It's got a good sound to it and aldive is right, it's very easy to install.

I did not notice much difference in driving other than I seemed to gain 1-2 mpg when highway driving.

Although now that Wisconsin has winterized gas, it's hard to judge.

WoW I like that filter spindle where did you get it from ?

spindlecone said:
Than again you could also use a Stainless Steel filter

I will be moving to that once something "happens" to my filter. Seems worth the money for it.

IAmTodd said:
I will be moving to that once something "happens" to my filter. Seems worth the money for it.
Would suggest you do it before your cheap Mac or KKM cotton fiber K&N clone filters, destroy your engine :D

spindlecone said:
Would suggest you do it before your cheap Mac or KKM cotton fiber K&N clone filters, destroy your engine :D

how do you figure your stainless steel filters are so much better?

I got a k&n clone and it works fine

Al, someone is wanting just the Pro-M Mass, can you send yours back for a refund and then buy my Mac Intake?

Oh boy... looks like the scramble has begun!! :D

Afboy143 said:
how do you figure your stainless steel filters are so much better?

I got a k&n clone and it works fine
Most any filter will work,SS mesh filters such as Rezton and Blitz are far less restrictive than oiled paper or cotton fiber filters yet maintain excellant filtration propertys, can be cleaned in soapy water and never need to be oiled.

where is a good place to pick up the stainless steel setup at?

frickea86 said:
where is a good place to pick up the stainless steel setup at?

I got my Rezton from www.morgan-tec.com, Blitz filters can be found online but are very expensive.
I had to make an adapter to fit the Rezton to my mac, they may not be for everyone, because they flow more air you get a little more intake sound.

spindlecone said:
I got my Rezton from www.morgan-tec.com, Blitz filters can be found online but are very expensive.
I had to make an adapter to fit the Rezton to my mac, they may not be for everyone, because they flow more air you get a little more intake sound.

according to the test page that was posted above, these Blitz or stainless filter suck at air filtration. K&N filters air much better and flows around the same as stainless.

I want to see them test my k&n imitation lol

Afboy143 said:
according to the test page that was posted above, these Blitz or stainless filter suck at air filtration. K&N filters air much better and flows around the same as stainless.

I want to see them test my k&n imitation lol
For your application, your filter will serve you well :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

whats that supposed to mean

Back