Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 X '19 Rngr
Well I said I would do it and here is some proof. I bought the metal for them the other day, as well as for the front bumper. Original plan was to use 2"x4"x3/16" for the slider it self then use 2"x2"x3/16" to a 2"x3" angle and then bolt to the frame. But after talking to Jefe last night, and some issues he has incountered over time I'm going to do it a little different. I will have the slider and and arms slide into reciver stock which will bolt together. Then the reciver stock will go to the 2x3 ange which will be welded to the frame. this should make them super strong. We thought about using more then two supports but after Jefe saying he had no problems that way and with me sleaving it the way I am, it will be fine. ;)

12287slider_stock-med.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 2x4 x 3/16 looks Massive (there is quite a differance going from 1/8 to 3/16")... I'm sure it cost a few $$ at the local steel mill. Anyway I'm anxiously awaiting the progression of the project... Sliders are on my list of projects to tackle this year (after my rocker and dog leg repairs)...

Curious to see what you come up with. And, I like the receiver stock idea. However, after a long discussion with my engineer brother-in-law (I know Jeff's an engineer, too) and a couple of Colorado off-road shops (that specialize in 'Yotas), I'm going with u-bolts to hold the support arms to the frame. There are too many lines hiding behind the frame that I'm scared of frying.

Bronco638 said:
Curious to see what you come up with. And, I like the receiver stock idea. However, after a long discussion with my engineer brother-in-law (I know Jeff's an engineer, too) and a couple of Colorado off-road shops (that specialize in 'Yotas), I'm going with u-bolts to hold the support arms to the frame. There are too many lines hiding behind the frame that I'm scared of frying.

where are you going to get the ubolts or are you going to have them custom made?

Posting to see how they turn out. Good luck! :)

Hokie said:
where are you going to get the ubolts or are you going to have them custom made?

If I can find a local place to make them, I will. Otherwise, I'll get them from Slee Off Road in Boulder Colorado.

Did you want some?

I'm currently making some rock sliders too and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to attach them to the frame. I am trying to decide between making a plate and bolting it to the frame or welding straight to the frame. Any thoughts? Also, why are you putting a reciever on there?

Con Seann3ry said:
I'm currently making some rock sliders too and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to attach them to the frame. I am trying to decide between making a plate and bolting it to the frame or welding straight to the frame. Any thoughts? Also, why are you putting a reciever on there?

I was going to just bolt the frame, but after some talks I've learnd you have to keep tighting the bolts all the time. But I don't want them welded on permently. So I came up with the idea of sleaving them. It should make them super strong too!

Stic-o said:
I was going to just bolt the frame, but after some talks I've learnd you have to keep tighting the bolts all the time. But I don't want them welded on permently. So I came up with the idea of sleaving them. It should make them super strong too!

Good call, that will be strong. For my purposes I think I'll just weld them on, thanks for your advice.

reciver style is the way to go for a few reason, if you want to repaint them, repair them, or change the lift height on your truck you wont have to worry about cutting the mounts off the frame, also a few of the hard core guys use the open space over the sliders to store extra driveshafts
As much of a pain in the ass it was to bolt mine on I did due to the fact that the set I threw together (see my post somewhere in the fab area) are solid mounts and get them off again if the mounts were welded to the frame would really suck, body work on the lower rocker panels would be really hard if not impossible as well

Bronco638 said:
Did you want some?

Definately, I'd much rather use U-Bolts than drill but I'm not sure if our frames will allow it... haven't designed my sliders yet, I have the wood I just need to get off my but and mock them up

Hokie said:
haven't designed my sliders yet, I have the wood I just need to get off m...

hope you got pressure treated wood so they don't rot on the truck? seriously though.. I'd use steel. :p :D :confused:

wood would be great to work with atleast, easy to cut, no welding :p
wonder where he got the wood >>>idea<<< from :D really if you dont fab much stuff using things like 2x4s (wood) or thin wall electrical conduit for mockup saves ya $$ big time in wasted metal

I know what he meant.. I like giving Hokie a hard time.
He's been talking about building these dang sliders for like 3 years now! :D

Hokie said:
Definately, I'd much rather use U-Bolts than drill but I'm not sure if our frames will allow it... haven't designed my sliders yet, I have the wood I just need to get off my but and mock them up

I don't plan on fabbing my sliders until next winter. Based on some of the follow up posts, you're in no big hurry either! :D But, if you need them sooner, I still plan to scout around for a local supplier. I will be in Denver this summer and might take a ride up to Slee to check them out. When I spoke to Christo Slee, he did not mention that using u-bolts would cause any issues (I don't know if Land Cruiser frames are boxed or not). It would be pretty easy to fab a retangular piece of steel to slide on the u-bolt first. This would provide a flat 90º 'interface' to the frame and stop any distortion of the frame from the u-bolt.

I have the steel for my sliders, but I think I'll just weld them on. I have some 1/4" angle iron that I plan on using. Is that alright? I might round the edges a little, so they don't hang up on anything, but does this sound like a good idea?
Stic-O, good luck with your sliders. The idea you have sounds excellent.

jasonb said:
I know what he meant.. I like giving Hokie a hard time.
He's been talking about building these dang sliders for like 3 years now! :D

No, i've been trying to get your butt to make me a set of sliders for 3 years (eventhough I've only owned the truck for 2 years and 2 months and have only had it lifted for 1.5 years) :p

Yeah, I did get pressure treated wood. Jason, you reckon a 4x4 of southern pine would provide enough support as a slider to be able to jack the truck up when I rotate tires? ;)

a 4x4 should be fine. Just use some good lag bolts and not plain ole drywall screws. I can make sliders for you if you want. But mine will be welded on.. screw all that bolt on! :D Too complicated. If you come down this way again let me know. I'll hook you up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i thougt you were making them i cant see them.

Back