Heater Core/ Blend Door

jimeeh1

Reaction score
City, State
Pardeesville, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
Hi,

Have a heater core leak in my 97 XLT V-8. After putting it of for a long time I've finally decided to go in. Does anyone have any tips, tricks or set procedure to approach this wonderful problem? Also, Ive been experiencing problems with my blower switching positions (With the ac on to the vents, it will switch to defrost) which I'm betting has something to do with the coveted blend door problem. Does anyone know exactly what I will need to look for or replace while I have the inside of the truck virtually in a 1000 pieces and expect to have access to this engineering marvel?

Thanks,
Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found the heater core removal steps in my CD manual. If you search for the blend door problem you should be able to find a couple of different techniques to fix it. One forum member removed the whole dash to fix it, but there are a couple of clever fixes that save you from all of that labor.

Attachments

• hc1.jpg
    hc1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 11,741
  • hc2.jpg
    hc2.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 9,341
  • hc3.jpg
    hc3.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 8,843

;)

Attachments

• hc4.jpg
    hc4.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 9,169
  • hc5.jpg
    hc5.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 8,785
  • hc6.jpg
    hc6.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 8,755

:cool:

Attachments

• hc7.jpg
    hc7.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 8,740

I notice that in Step 3 you need to remove the instrument panel, and Step 4 you need to remove the A/C evap core.....maybe you should just trade it in for a new one? ;) :D

Thanks Dogfriend,

What CD manual do you have? The reason for the question about the blend door is because I'm going to have the entire dash out (Not to mention the center console and not knowing where to begin on either) and not sure what I will need to fix it.

Trading in is not a viable option..........................suicide might be.

As a veteran of doing the heater core twice and getting ready for a third one. There is no other way to get the heater core out without taking the dash out.

Your problems sounds like a vacuum hose is leaking, probably the resevoir (ball looking thing down on the front of the frame under the air filter housing (at least on a '95 OHV)

The first time is a bit daunting but it's not hard, just take your time and you can have it done in a weekend, if you work fast, you might have it done in a long day.

But there is a trick that might work for you, go to the Ford dealer and see if they got a restrictor per a TSB

http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1i/bl486i.htm

Mine's leaking pretty good so I don't think that will work for me, but I'm going to try it anyway.

It's easiest if you remove the front seats and the center console, that gives you lots of room to work and maneuver the dash-pad

Looks like I'm in for the same job

I just bought a 97 Ranger XLT S/C with the heater bypassed. Has anyone had any luck with a sealer to keep from having to spend all weekend doing this? My truck's in really nice shape (70K miles) and I could just see somthing getting goofed up while I'm doing it...
Steve

I tried sealers twice (Bars leak, prestone) with only temporary results.

Heater Core leak

Thanks Jim,

How temporary were those results? I might have to resort to that for the short term...
steve

I think the last time it lasted about 4 months but you still had some smell. I guess it really depends on the size of the leak if it will even work at all. If your ranger is designed the same as the explorer there is a drain hole in the bottom of the heater plenum that pokes through the firewall in the event it does leak. Your just putting off the inevitable. It is quite an extensive job. Maybe you should look for an electric heater that plugs into the lighter?

Back