• Register Today It's free!

V-6 to Small Block Trans Adapter

Gremlinstien

Reaction score
City, State
Reeseville, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4dr
It seems that many of you here are interested in my new adapter kit for the V-6 fords. I started the whole project after the trans took a dump in my "family truckster". I just couldn't bring myself to spend any $$ on a "known to fail" transmission. I am running 38's and 3.50 gears(for now) and I knew another a4ld would not last long.

I happen to have several C6s around, and that got me thinking,,,"what if?",,,and "just maybe I can..."

Took over 6 months for me to get it all figured, measured, made, and FINALLY TESTED! :thumbsup: Now that it is tested and proven, I have decided to produce them for sale.

My "kit" will allow you to bolt any small block Ford pattern bellhousing to the 4.0, 2.9, or 2.8. There are many options from there.

For more details, look here http://www.rrorc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27379

I am planning to post a write up on the install with pics as soon as I can. I will make sure to post a link to it as soon as it is up. The first one went into a ranger with a 2.9, using a 435 and a 205.

I don't want any of you to get the wrong idea, it is NOT a direct "bolt up and go" type conversion. There are several things you must change to go with it. Many of those changes will depend on the transmission and transfer case you choose to use. None of it is any harder than the average SAS or any of the other common mods made to these trucks.

The good side is that once it is done, the chances of EVER needing another transmission are slim to none, and I hear that slim just went home. :D

Feel free to email me with any questions you may have about this and I will answer as best I can. 4xfab@charterinternet.com

The price for my "kit" is $475 shipped to the lower 48. WI residents must add sales tax.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see $$$ in your future :)

I went 5.0L because I was DONE with the A4LD's (even well built ones) and I refused to give up my overdrive, where were you last year? hahaha

Nice WORK!!

So tell me, can a 4R70W go behind the 4.0 with this ?

I am not very familiar with the 4R70W, or what it was used in, but if it will fit a 302/5.0 or a 300 6cyl it WILL fit my adapter. The electronics could pose an issue, but I know there are a few guys around who can make a 4.0 ecm run other trannys.

Bottom line, anything that will bolt to a 351w/302/300 will bolt up to the 4.0/2.9/2.8 with my adapter.

BTT he needs 3 more orders.

the 4r70w is a fancy name for a AOD-E, with a wide ratio gear set. The case is identical to a AOD as far as bellhousing and output adapters are concerned (4wd models use 6 bolt late model Ford t cases)

the 4r70w was used behind the 5.0L in the Explorer and also in in the 4.6L cars and trucks or even later years.

You wont be able to get the 4.0L computer to control it as it is ALL electronic, no cables at all.

As stated before Baumman makes a stand alone controller for this trans that will work in ANY vehicle.

Again IMO using the AOD/AOD-E/4r70W behind the 4.0L could rob enough power to make it not worth it, but I am sure somebody will do it :)

I understand the concern about the larger transmissions sucking power from the smaller engines, but keep in mind that you will also gain a larger and heavier flexplate/flywheel.

This will hurt the horsepower, but will help the torque. If you ask me, when it comes to wheelin', torque is WAY more usefull than horsepower.

I still plan to use a C6 behind my 4.0. I'll let you know how that works out.

Will your adapter system work with a manual tranny as well??

'87 Bronco II with a 4.0, 208/5 T-case, AOD, 3.73 gears in D35 and 8.8 axles, running 33/12.5R15s. That is what I am going to be running. She will be a part time (1 or 2 times a week) DD and a trailrig.
The HP loss was a concern of mine when I was deciding on the AOD behind the 4.0 in my B2. I don't want a speed demon, but I didn't want a complete dog either.
After talking to a few different people on the subject, guys who knew the 4.0 mostly and ones that knew the AOD also, it was determained that with the proper gearing and some small engine mods that most of the HP could be reaquired. It will also help out that I'm doing this in a small B2. ;)
I guess we will see, I don't mind being a guinee pig in this. :thumbsup:

Rick said:
Will your adapter system work with a manual tranny as well??

Yes it will. The prototype was installed on a 2.9 with a NP435 behind it.

Once my adapter is installed on the engine, the engine basically becomes a 302 as far as the transmission end goes.

ANYTHING that will bolt to a 302/5.0 will work, stick or auto. :D

thats awesome.
Where were you 2 years ago? Pfffft ah well now I have a 5.0L instead....

so what do you think about c6 with a tcase? will my 4.0 be enough? 4.56 with 33's?

What about the T-5 or the M5r2? Im guessing they would haha... im subscribing since im going overkill with my 4.0

Sorry I haven't been on this site much lately. I've been pretty busy with my first production run of stublers. (there is one still up for grabs too)

I am going to be putting a c6 in mine soon with a 208 and 3.50 gears on 38s. I am also close to putting one in a BII with 3.73s and 33s.

I could still use a couple more orders on these and I will be finding a cheaper starter option soon!

Here is a picture of one of those kits:
dscf0421-kit_9hzw.jpg

BrooklynBay said:
Are there any plans for a 2.3L, or a 3.0L adapter?

I haven't really looked into either of those options as of yet. If there were enough demand to make it worth the time, I sure would check into it though.

I did get one one call about one for a 3.0 last week.

Is it possible to just add more threaded holes in one of those adapters to accomodate a 2.3L, or 3.0L? Are the holes spacings the same on both of those engines? One last question. Are the hole spacings the same on the 2.8L, 2.9L, and the 4.0L?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as adding holes,,I'm not sure. It would depend on the pattern and how it would fit the other patterns in relation to crank shaft centerline.

I unfortunately dont have a 2.3 or a 3.0 to play with right now and I don't know if they are the same or not. I'll have to see if I can come up with one of each.

The spacings/patterns of the holes are the same on the 2.8, 2.9, and the pre97 4.0. From what I understand, the crank went from 6 bolts to 8 bolts in 97. I am sure I could make this kit work for those engines as well, but again, don't have one to play with right now.

Back