How to: - My Snorkel Build!!!!! Write up w/ pics | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: My Snorkel Build!!!!! Write up w/ pics

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
My Snorkel Build begins:

100_0790.jpg

100_0871.jpg

Im using:

10' piece of pvc electrical conduit 2.5"
Propane torch
(2) 2.5" pvc couplings
3" rubber 90 coupling
3" rubber coupling
5 ft steel pipe, roughly
Unsure for the tip arb maybe? for now my air filter

Here is a rough over view of how it fits together.... sorry fot the quality, but i think you can make out what it says, write down your own copy if you want...

100_0866.jpg

well now that my computer is restarted after freezing i can write my whole ****in write up again... so here it goes....

1. remove your fender here are pics of the bolts:

Door jamb

100_0792.jpg

one behind the turn signal, and there is one more thats a pain to get to, remove your inner fender, and look up through your wheel well at the turn signal area to see a nut, i used a deep socket to take it off.

100_0793.jpg

and lastly the top ones

100_0791.jpg

remove fender and place aside (carefully)

2. next use tape, or if its dirty like mine, make yourself a pattern on the the inner fender like so:

100_0794.jpg

3. I used a hammer and made the area concave like so, if you have to use the torch to make the metal a little softer, i had to towards the door jamb, that metal is thicker:

100_0799.jpg

This makes the fitting easier.

4. Now cut out a circle where your intake would come through like this:

100_0833.jpg

100_0802.jpg

Make sure the edges are very smooth!

5. This step might be different depending on your intake setup, some use the factory box, i tossed that a long time ago for an adapter from kragen, in the import section and redrilled the holes to fit.

Put one end of the 3" rubber coupling over the intake, and the other end over half of the 2.5" pvc coupling. Tighten the clamps. now take the 3" rubber 90 (elbow) and stick it through the hole, and tighten one end over the 2.5" pvc coupling mentioned above. This is what that looks like when finished:

100_0802.jpg

6. Now put your piece of pipe in the 90 and use that bend in the guide you made to mark the pipe. I used a piece of black tape

7. Try to eyeball where the is tip is going to be at, mark, and cut down because its easier to deal with when its not 10' long.

8. I used a metal pipe to stick next to the pvc, to mark how far down it has to go to the bend point.

100_0831.jpg

This is your aid to bend it. Now use your propane torch and heat up the pvc, with your metal pipe in there (this may require two ppl, i got my wife to help, thanx honey) Use caution!!! to much heat will burn through. I rotated the pvc while applying heat, this makes it so the outer bend will stretch and the inner bend will collapse. Good luck!

100_0830.jpg

100_0797.jpg

100_0796.jpg

9. Now that you have the bend and the angle you want, put the end you originally put in rubber 90 back in and tighten the clamp, i had to glue a coupling on the end so that it fit better in the 90. hold the pipe so that its where you want, make sure everything is how you want ie: the angle, then lengths, everything. heat up and rebend if necessary. Let the pipe rest on the ground.

10. Look under your hood. you should see a void between your over flow tanks and a black cylinder along you firewall. This is where you want your clamp. use a drill and drill out the top whole, this pic shows the bottom in, but i did the top first.

100_0832.jpg

Put the pipe up into the clamp and hold tight, mark the lower hole, and drill out.

11. Put the pipe into the clamp and tighten the bottom bolt, then the top bolt. i had to play with this to get it so it wouldnt wiggle. Others have used two clamps, but i dont see where. I also loosened the 90, and with one hand twisted the rubber towards me, and the other turned the pvc so it was snug up against the inner fender, then tightened. this allows the 90 to keep pressure against the pipe to the inner fender.

100_0820.jpg

12. Cut the fender so that the pipe fits. I have not done this yet, but will shortly.

13. Assemble the fender and there ya go!

Now all you need is a tip of your choice and some paint of your choice.

IM DONE!!! finally....
heres some pics:

100_0869.jpg

100_0868.jpg

100_0867.jpg

100_0870.jpg

100_0875.jpg

i will get some more pics when i get the arb tip, im ordering it on monday.

Here are some pics of my intake adapter:

100_0781.jpg

The adapter gasket:

100_0784.jpg

i had to dremel out the inner part because it fit wierd and blocked airflow.

This is in the import section of kragen, look around the intake stuff, i went to a few places before i actually got it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

haha nice man. We'll see if it gets put to use tomorrow. (clean your engine bro ;))

Sweet, another snorkel. :cool: Which reminds me that I still haven't started mine. :rolleyes:

WE WANT Progress Pics!!!!!

next project is bumper brackets?

he has plans for a tube bumper.

well the paint is drying, pics will be up shortly, honestly i could care less about my bumpers, choppin the back, gettin a canvas cover made, sas, and a mild 331 come first, then i will get a welder, make a cage, bumpers and sliders. baby steps my friend baby steps.

crazy person

yes. i understood it all. Now get back to work. I wanna see the finished product haha. This thing is frickin badass!

ok ok i will update and pm u when its all back together... i still have to order my arb snorkel tip.

Next up is my grill make over, this is actually pretty tight, i think, its done i just have to assembly my b4 and after

where are you going to mount your air filter?

everythintech said:
well the paint is drying, pics will be up shortly, honestly i could care less about my bumpers, choppin the back, gettin a canvas cover made, sas, and a mild 331 come first, then i will get a welder, make a cage, bumpers and sliders. baby steps my friend baby steps.

ok gotcha! ;)

Nice. Thanks for the PM. I'm trying to stay out of water these days, but I'll keep this one for future use. ;) So, where are the finished pictures?!

thtas awesome looking...

you know im not quite sure how i am going to get my filter in here? i have a conical one, and for driving purposes i will use it on top as a tip till i get the arb. i might just have to go get an original airbox and use it.... hmmm well i am assembling the bumper right now, i had to let the paint dry on the pipe, i put like 10 coats on it. there will be pics very shortly this morning

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back