Aussie locker install - How to get the carrier out? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aussie locker install - How to get the carrier out?

Josh

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4 Door Explorer XLT
OK I have the third member out and I have removed the bearing caps. I thought the worst was over. The carrier is wedged in pretty good, so how do I get it out? I read the removal instructions on TRS, but it says to lif it out carefuly. It doesn't want to move. Is there a special tool?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pry it out - its tight on there due to the bearing pre-load on the carrier bearings.

yeah just use a rag on the end of a pry bar and pry it out. No biggie

-Drew

How? I stuck a long wrench behind it and beat on it with a rubber mallet. Not even a hint of movement. Its tight. What would you recomend to use?

a long pry bar say at least 24"s

MVC-017F.JPG

Just be careful with the pry bar as the housing is the fulcrum of the lever .. so the mating surface between the housing and the surface might dent as you start applying pressure - not a real problem as long as it doesnt protrude out of the mating surface - at which point you can just hammer it down or use a file or a grinder. Either that or use a tiny piece of someting (wood? rag - as ExplorerDMB suggested) between the pry bar and the housing to prevent damage to the mating surface.

Speaking of applying pressure ..
Pressure pushing down on me
Pressing down on you no man ask for
Under pressure - that burns a building down

Thanks fella's I'll give it a shot.

try 2 hook bars on each side, you should be able to pop it out

OK got it in today finaly. Took it for a little test drive since the wife wasn't strong enough to help with the tire test I just decided to take it to a parking lot for a test. I tried to turn and it felt like it normaly does when in 4WD. I was turning pretty sharp at idle. While in the turn(Making a circle) it feels like the locker is kicking in around half to 3 quarters in and the wheels are locking and the truck stops rolling and I had to give a little gas to get it to roll, but not to much. Also before the tires lock I here a popping, maybe some of you might equate that to clicking but since I have never owned a locker I don't know. What do you guys think. Does it sound normal?

Different "lunch box" type lockers make different sounds due the different designs - some click, some pop. But yes yours does sound normal.

Man I hope so. That install was a PITA. I read the wrong torque specs for the bearing caps and tried to get them to 85ft lbs when they are suppossed to be no higher than 67. Broke one stretched another. Good thing I have another pumpkin in the garage.

Are you sure you set the spacing and backlash correctly? If not, that unit will eat itself in a matter of a couple thousand miles!

I pulled everything out and put it back the same way it came out. The directions say that if you put everything back the same way it came out it should be fine. The diff is smooth to turn and there was barely any play in the gears.

yeah all Josh did was remove the spider gears and replaced it with a locker - which doesnt change the ring/pinion's geometry.

:thumbsup: Yup, like IZ said :thumbsup:

-Drew

Well I did pull the carrier from the diff case, but everything went back in the same way it came out. Thanks for the help. I'll feel better if/when one of you guys hear it in person and give me the thumbs up. I plane on the 10th anniversery run in crozet if any of you are going.

pry on the abs ring carefully on the top and bottem. There is a special tool to spread the case, that is how ford does it. Gentle push and drive the carrier back when all parts are replace(bearings and gears) with a hammer. I have done many and it just takes patience and gentle hands.

Back