How to: - Recover your Center Console (10 Steps) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Recover your Center Console (10 Steps)

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
If your center console is ripped, falling apart, etc. it is really quite easy and inexpensive to just recover it yourself.

CIMG5249.jpg

Step One:
Remove the three screws at the bottom of the lid.
CIMG5250.jpg

Step Two:
Find a nice area to work on.
CIMG5251.jpg

Step Three:
Flip the lid over and remove all the screws and remove the black pastic lid.
CIMG5252.jpg

CIMG5253.jpg

Step Four:
Remove all the staples currently holding the vinyl on.
CIMG5255.jpg

CIMG5256.jpg

CIMG5257.jpg

CIMG5258.jpg

Step Five:
Remove the vinyl from the armrest.
CIMG5259.jpg

Step Six:
Spread old vinyl over your new vinyl and trace.
CIMG5260.jpg

CIMG5261.jpg

CIMG5262.jpg

CIMG5263.jpg

Step Seven:
Cut relief cuts near the front edges.
CIMG5264.jpg

CIMG5265.jpg

Step Eight:
Start on one side and staple the edge down. Then stretch over to the opposite side and staple again. Keep stretching to the opposite side inorder to get a nice tight cover going on. :cool:
CIMG5266.jpg

CIMG5267.jpg

Step Nine:
Place black plastic back on and gently screw the screws back down.
CIMG5268.jpg

CIMG5269.jpg

Step Ten:
Screw it back onto the console and you're done. :cool:
CIMG5270.jpg

CIMG5271.jpg

Now if you really try you can probably find a gray/tan etc that is pretty right on with your interior color. I wasn't too worried about it. Also, I think I spent about $12 on vinyl for about 5 lids or so. So it's very very cheap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

very nice write up..... Mine before was brownish grey from all the dirt and i just scrubbed and scrubbed and it came out very well.

I have done multiple interiors like this, a good thing to have is a can of spray adhesive. It helps a lot. You can also use this process to add inserts on your door panels.

-Rich

what about 1st gens? How do we recover ours? mine is in BAD shape

Attachments

• 10-08-06_1558.jpg
    10-08-06_1558.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 24,577
  • 10-08-06_1559.jpg
    10-08-06_1559.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 24,498

hey sextion525 when I saw this write up over the summer I knew I was going to be doing it, well I got home from college and it was one of the 1st things I did. your directions were perfect :thumbsup: nice job!

now for proof ;)

HPIM1055.JPG

HPIM10581.JPG

Dan

Now if you really try you can probably find a gray/tan etc that is pretty right on with your interior color. I wasn't too worried about it. Also, I think I spent about $12 on vinyl for about 5 lids or so. So it's very very cheap.[/QUOTE]

Where are you guys finding the correct color vinyl for your ex's mines dark graphite grey.... any ideas?

Take the lid off and bring it with you. I found a 10x10 scrap of tan vinyl at the fabric shop for $3.00 and its dead on color wise.

here my transformation...... they didn't have the right color in vinyl (too light)
so i ended up getting this plether but the color is actually closer then the picture shows :) (when people see it now they dont even notice till i tell them :D :thumbsup: )
old
centerconsol1pw5.jpg

New
centerconsol2rg6.jpg

Cheap and easy just the way I like it...

I have done multiple interiors like this, a good thing to have is a can of spray adhesive. It helps a lot. You can also use this process to add inserts on your door panels.

-Rich

What all did you actually cover?

Nice write-up btw! :thumbsup:

Good write up. I have been wanting to do this for a while.

Where did you all get your replacement vinyl from?

Got mine from a surplus shop. I dug and unrolled every color that was close. B4 we left my son actually said look at this one its perfect. I was ready to leave and just blow it off but took a look anyway. Needless to say I got all they had, its perfect match even the texture matches the seats.

i need to get some pics of mine, i think its actually time to redo it, i had some wear in the foam, but i just covered it, the little indent didnt bother me.... haha, i didnt know about relief cuts, i jsut pulled it tight, you cant tell it isnt factory, except there is one spot on the front corner where there is a slight fabric overlap. i couldnt find the exact color although they probably had it, so i jsut went with black, it looks really good considering the rest of the console to the dash is black too

oh yeah, make sure you use short staples, i used a electric power stapler and it was great, but it had long staples in it, they came through the foam and vynil on the otehr side, good thing i had more vynil, and shorter staples that i then used

wow awesome write up cant wait to do mine!

Great job on the article. I see so many of them worn, it's such a simple procedure if people would take the time to do it.

Great write up

I did this repair before I joined the forum. I think that it is a DIY project, but be patient and buy extra material. You will need it after you make the first mistake. LOL!

I was at the junkyard, and got my material from the back of a seat. I cut off the pocket, and bam, enough to recover this. my biggest problem was that the damn staples wouldnt go into the plastic! sooo frustrating

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

center console lid

I bought a reupholstery kit for my center console lid and heres the results:

centerconsolelidrv2.jpg

found for around $20 on ebay.
heres a link to the guy who sells em: http://motors.shop.ebay.com/merchant/impact954

just letting anyone know that if I can install this, then anyone can.

Back