Heater Fan Resistor Pack

horizoncowboy

Reaction score
City, State
WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
"94 limited
Greetings All,
The Fan only works on 'high', and that is only occasionally. Can someone help me locate the fan speed resistor pack and provide any tips for easy replacement on a '94 Explorer Limited? A/C and Heat temp control works fine---just the fan is either 'off' or 'high'(intermittent). Thanks in advance!

horizoncowboy :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The resistor pack is located on the plastic housing of the A/c evap.......look in the engine compartment........on the passenger side firewall, the fan motor is mounted to the extreme left. To the right of that is the A/c evap. There will be a bundle of wires attached to the housing of the evap., that's it.

Also, check the relay #28 in the power control box......also located in the engine compartment mounted on the passenger side fender well. Others have said, replacing it, has help them.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....read this too:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163407

Thanx for the info, Mark! I'll give it a whirl.

Rodger

P.S. I see you are in 'Couverland--my old stomping grounds (High School '64). I'm out in Cathlamet now---much quieter!

No......I'm actually, a Hawaii transplant to WA. Couldn't afford to live in Hawaii on, "retirement pay."

Aloha, Mark

I have a 93 sport and am having the same problem... High or nothing.. same thing true for me?

A/C & Heater

I don't know if the same would hold true for a '93 as a '94, but I replaced the resister pak under the hood, and the relay in the relay box, also under the hood, and it's been working great ever since. I discovered after removing the resister pak that down in the heater chamber a bunch of leaves had gathered up in there and had partially blocked the air flow. I suspect that added heat build-up aided in burning out the resisters. Good luck!:salute:

The resistors are notorious for failing, as are the connectors. My resistors were fine, but the connector was VERY not fine:

543039.jpg

542998.jpg

542997.jpg

corrosion causes resistance, resistance causes heat, and hear causes the melt-down.

Luckily the resistor pack is all of $13, and the harness was all of $15 at the stealership. :)

-Joe

I have a 93 sport and am having the same problem... High or nothing.. same thing true for me?

yes...The resistor pack steps down the power for all settings other than high. For the high setting the circuit by-passes the resistor pack and sends full power to the fan... The resistors are like the filaments in a 3-way light bulb and will burn/out break over time causing the symptoms you have...

I don't have a schematic for a 93... on the 1st gens, is the resistor on the up-stream or down-stream side of the motor? Just curious...

-Joe

hello,

I have a 2002 explorer xlt and my blower only works on high and low(1 and 4) Ford diagnosed this as the resistor. Do you know where its located on a 2002? And how to replace. Thanks

Unfortunately, all that comes up in the system is "Location: Behind dash panel, center." From what I can see of the pictures of the connectors, it appears to be on the passenger side of the center stack, near the top of the opening where the stereo mounts, but it's a little tough to tell...

Sorry I can't be more help. I'm just not as intimately familiar with the '02-ups.

-Joe

edit: Just realized I was looking at the picture backwards... It appears to be adjacent to the function selector switch assembly.... It'll have a square connector with four wires going to it, RD/OG, BK, LG/WH, and YE/RD.
-Joe

ok function selector switch is that the 4x4 cluster u are refering to?

My resistor pack looked the same as the ones in the images from gijoecam, same issue also, fan only worked in high mode. Can it be the fact that the resistorpack is deadly close to the washer fluids and over some time when refilling/spilling, fluids also gets the connector to corrode in that manner?

My resistor pack looked the same as the ones in the images from gijoecam, same issue also, fan only worked in high mode. Can it be the fact that the resistorpack is deadly close to the washer fluids and over some time when refilling/spilling, fluids also gets the connector to corrode in that manner?

I think i's more an issue with being under the hood and completely exposed to the elements. If you look at the back of the connector, it's not sealed. There's nothing to stop moisture from getting down to the terminals, and it doesn't appear that there was any sealant or dielectric grease used to help seal the terminals on the plug or the connector. Over time, any exposed metal will corrode, which causes resistance which causes heat which causes the plastic to melt down and which also accelerates the corrosion. It's a vortex of corrosion.

I forgot to mention before... When I replaced mine, I used a generous amount of dielectric grease on both of the connectors, as well as squirting some high-temp silicone on the outside of the connector around each individual wire where it enters the body of the connector to help seal out the moisture. Two years later it's still working well!

-Joe

hello,

I have a 2002 explorer xlt and my blower only works on high and low(1 and 4) Ford diagnosed this as the resistor. Do you know where its located on a 2002? And how to replace. Thanks

Behind the glove box, behind the 4X4 module. Squeeze the sides of the glove box to get it to drop down out of the way. I have a pdf file with pictures and part numbers. Send me a PM with your email address if you want a copy.

pictures would be great. It started this after i took it in to have the 4x4 module replaced. When i picked it up the blower wasnt working right. i calld and asked the ford dealership if they did something to it and they told me the 4x4 module is no where near the blower and theres no way they could have done anything to make it mess up. a load of crap?

pictures would be great. It started this after i took it in to have the 4x4 module replaced. When i picked it up the blower wasnt working right. i calld and asked the ford dealership if they did something to it and they told me the 4x4 module is no where near the blower and theres no way they could have done anything to make it mess up. a load of crap?

You have to remove the 4x4 control module to access the blower motor resistor, so I would say yeah, it's entirely possible that they boogered-up the wiring harness or knocked the connector loose when replacing the module.

Looking at the pics in the factory service manual, it appears as though you *might* be able to remove the resistor pack without pulling the 4x4 control module, but it would be a squeeze... 2 more screws is nothing to gain the accessability.

-Joe

Was looking for the resistor and came across this plug that is unplugged. Does anyone know if this is suppossed to be connected? Also can you see from this pic where the fan resistor is?
100_1388.jpg

There's your problem, right there.... The resistor pack is right smack dab in the middle of the picture... it's at the back of that opening with the four shiny white pins. The module on the right is the 4wd control module. Plug that connector you're holding back into the resistors and I bet it works again!

Oh, and write a nasty letter to the stealership and include pics!

Oh, and they probably disconnected it to get the screw out of the other side of the 4wd control module. Crappy workmanship.

-Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sure did fix the problem. Fan works on all speeds now. the dealership told me they could fix it for 100 dollars and they are the same idiots who left it unplugged. Idiots or scammers? Either way if you live in the southern indiana area or louisville, do not use Carriage Ford!!!! Thanks for all your help gijoe.

Back