Black globe, Vacuum reservoir on v-6??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Black globe, Vacuum reservoir on v-6???

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Should be a black globe, in front passenger wheel well, behind the corner light
It will have 2 hard vacuum lines coming from it

It is used for vacuum pressure to drive the HVAC-vent function-blend door

Is there such a thing on SOHC V6 trucks, or is it a V8 thing?

Thanks ....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I too am somewhat confused :confused:

I am sure that I had read that the 2nd gens had the reservoir inside the cabin behind the passenger right hand kick panel. The wheel well one caught me off guard.

:ttiwwp:

hey al. i'm 100% sure that i have this globe, but i have a 96 v6 with the ohv.

ok guys i took photos out of my 96 explorer.

actually i cut the 2 red lines from this box when i was installing my k&n filter and i lost my 4 wheel drive.

Attachments

• explorer1.JPG
    explorer1.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 23,453
  • explorer2.JPG
    explorer2.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 18,947
  • explorer3.JPG
    explorer3.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 12,690
  • explorer4.JPG
    explorer4.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 13,988

:thumbsup: Super! I don't know if it answers Aldive's question, but it does mine. This comes up every two or three weeks.

I am going out to take a peak, however, I have never seen such a thingie before.

i'm not sure if this is just in the ohv engine, but the sohc guys can check it out and let us know.

does anyone knows if we suppost to open end clean this box?

As I thought, I have no such thing on my truck.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 13,142
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 12,488
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 12,593

hey al did you check in different places because they may change the location ?

i think it has something to do with the 4x4 disco style (95-96) which it change in 97+ because as i said before when i was installing my k&n filter i cut the 2 red lines that they are going into the black glove and i lost 4 wheel drive and check engine light came on.

I've never heard it used for the blend door, just the vent. Perhaps yours is electric. Out of idle curiosity, drop the glove compartment (squeeze door sides and it drops) and see if there's a vacuum motor behind it. It's the vertical rod on the right in the photo. If there's a vacuum motor, than there's a vacuum reservoir.

Attachments

• Glovebox.JPG
    Glovebox.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 13,472

I am pretty familiar with the innards of my truck and have never seen anything like that.

Is my truck a mutant?

It's got to have recirc. Must be electric - a solenoid or something. :dunno:

I am pretty familiar with the innards of my truck and have never seen anything like that.

Is my truck a mutant?

This is the vacuum motor from Gonzo's 98 sport.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125962&highlight=vacuum+motor

Perhaps yours is different. The Ranger's have their vacuum reservoir behind he kick panel on the right hand side. Maybe there was a transition year between the reservoir by the firewall and the reservoir by the wheelwell.

Attachments

• vent actuator.bmp
    81.1 KB · Views: 10,934

Is it an EATC thing?
Is it possible the EATC type uses electric motors for vent and temp control?

An excellent diagram courtesy of Sparky2263, I assume from his 99. Everything is vacuum controlled except for the blend door. The outside recirc door motor is the one in the picture. I wish I had a similar pic for the EATC type, I would suspect it would be more electric.

For those wondering about the significance of the 'globe,' it is a reservoir that stores the vacuum that operates the various environmental controls. When the engine is under acceleration the vacuum drops (pressure rises), anything that is closed with vacuum will begin to open. A check valve in the line keeps the vacuum in the reservoir. If the environmental routing (vent, floor, defrost, etc) is hinkey, the reservoir and its accociated tubing is the first suspect.

Attachments

• hvac%20diag.gif
    hvac%20diag.gif
    26 KB · Views: 27,341

mine has one since i just took out the innner fender liners to put the fiberglass fenders on it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back