• Register Today It's free!

Rusted/Stuck Parking Brake Lever

gfisch

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
My parking brakes stopped working and I failed inspection b/c of it. So I go to replace them, and when I start putting the new pads on, I realized that the lever mechanism in the hub (the two pieces on top of eachother with one attached to the cable) is rusted very badly and they are completely stuck together. Can't get them apart even w/ lots of banging & WD40.
Two questions:
1) Any hints on getting it out other than cutting the lever w/ a hacksaw. How hard is it to remove the hub?
2) Where can I get a replacement lever quick? I can't seem to find it (or at least am searching for the wrong thing) at the local autoparts stores (Autozone & Advance).

Thanks a lot,
Greg

I just did this a few days ago.

The lever will come out with the dust shield and axle in place, you may have to wiggle it around with pliers to get it out. I wouldn't cut it out.

Autozone, Advance, Oriley Auto don't have the lever. I tried them all before I did this......

Soak the lever in penetrating oil, not just spray it down, submerge it. Let it soak a while.

There are two parts of that lever, and they will come apart. One has a pin in the middle, the other has a hole that goes over the pin. I gently tapped the two pieces apart using a bench vice, hammer and chisel. Cleaned the parts with a wire wheel on a bench grinder, put it back together with some grease.

A little late, but thanks for the detailed reply. I managed to get it fixed.

It was very difficult to get the lever out without removing the dust shield because of the angle it was rusted together at, but finally managed to get it out.

I couldn't find the lever anywhere either, so I popped it open and cleaned it up. Took a bit more that "gently tapping" to break the two pieces apart, but they finally gave way. That would have been good to try soaking them, i just sprayed and banged at them for a while. Cleaned and greased em up, and all seems fine now.

Dorman 924741 is a good part, with incorrect side to side stamping. listed for f150-expedition which use same rear axle

brake lever f150.jpg

Back