Some fender trimming. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Some fender trimming.

Well, I finally had some time and the tools (a sawzall and a BFH) to trim the front fenders and hammer the pinch welds on the firewall, so the tires don't rub at full stuff. It also gave me the chance to bust out my flat black spray cans (my favorite). :D

There are two bolts that hold the bottom of the fender. Since I only need one, there was plenty of room to cut. Then I just tried to blend it up to the existing contour of the fender. Don't worry Jamie, I fixed that gap between the fender and the door... :p:

I made a .gif to show the before and after.

FenderTrim4.gif

I ended up taking the piece that is directly under the grill and light bezels out. This is for when I have a front bumper built, I can keep it up high. I also cut off the mounting spots that were in the lower part of the front of the fender and trimmed it flush with the bottom of the bezels.

So I got rid of 8 bolts that mount the fenders and there are still 8 on each one. :eek:

Before:
1600NewLook2.gif

After:
FenderTrim1.gif

FenderTrim8.gif

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very NicE! :thumbsup: Not what I thought you'd do with the chop saw though:p:

Nice. Im definatly diggin the herculiner on the lower panels.

Actually, looks so good it's like you did nothing--nice:thumbsup:

Good, that was the plan. :thumbsup:

[quote='97 V8]Nice. Im definatly diggin the herculiner on the lower panels.[/quote]
That's not herculiner, it's Krylon black spary paint. Not just flat black either, oh yeah, it's Ultra Flat!! :D

Attachments

• FlatBlack.jpg
    FlatBlack.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,663

I also cut off the mounting spots that were in the lower part of the front of the fender and trimmed it flush with the bottom of the bezels.
I've wanted to trim that front mount for forever! What did you do to fasten it there? Got a pic?:D

It all looks super sano now, I like it alot.:thumbsup:

Bill, I took a couple more pics today.

I made a rough before pic ( since I didn't actually have one) of what I trimmed. This piece had a bracket that held 2 more bolts for mounting the fender.

FenderTrim10.gif

FenderTrim10.gif

This one is inside the wheel well looking forward. The red circles show the bolt locations again.

FenderFBolts.gif

Is the Krylon Extra-Flat Hootus freindly:D :D :D

I couldn't help myself!

I was thinking about trimming my Mounty in the same spot but was not sure how it would look.

After seeing yours all I can say is look out fenders, here comes the die grinder.

Looks great Froader.

There are two bolts behind the bezel that mount to the front of the fender.
My Ranger only has one bolt there, and both sides are weakened from my rolls.:roll: So I kind of need the one bolt that hangs down.

Looks good, about how much lift do you have??

Tim

Were did you get those shock mounts. what are they from.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back