H.I.D. simulating bulb test and review.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

H.I.D. simulating bulb test and review..

Hello everyone, This isn't a write up but rather more of a product review! I made the mistake of going out and going crazy buying differant bulbs for my explorer till i got what i wanted.. I wanted a H.I.D. imitation.... now I CAN say, for the money i spent experimenting with differant bulbs, I could have easily bought a cheap REAL H.I.D. kit..

I'm going to stress this right now... if you want your lights to really look like HIDs... go out and buy a HID kit, your never going to get the perfect hid like light no matter what.... if you want to be close enough and have a nice tint to your lights,, read on. some frown upon these kind of HID simulator lights, but all i can say is to each there own prefferance...

My experiment went like this... hang in there... it's LONG! scroll to the end if ya wanna skip my blabbering for some pictures. :cool:

I always knew about the silverstars, I had them in my jeep (sealed beam type, rather than bulbs) They definetly made a differance in my jeep. But they had a sale on cool blues ($30, rather than $40)... So i picked some up, thinking.... well they're called cool blues, though i'd maybe get a slight blue tint to them (NOT ricer blue! just a slight blue tint in the white light).

they were nice lights, and definetly brighter than the stockers (which were regular sylvania 9004 hologens...which actually weren't too bad.. so i kept them as spares) but I didn't get what i wanted..

Picked up a set of silverstar ultras.. $50 VERY bright i must say! but still not what i was looking for...

by now thats almost $100... No big deal, although I should have asked around more!! searching on this forum helped, but there wasn't enough threads explaining the color outputs, or hardly ANY pictures... so I kept on with my search...

Picked up a set of Pilot Xenon 'cyber white' blubs from wallmart. came in the little hard plastic case. now i must admitt, these bulbs were only $20 and they were DAMN BRIGHT.... compatable with the silverstars IMHO... but i'm sure the silverstars are still a couple shades brightter...

anyways those pilots gave me a nice white light, and a SLIGHT purpleish tint in the corners... but not what i wanted.. (For the $20 though i'd definetly buy em again, good alternative to $40-$50 silverstars, even if they aren't as bright, they're close....at least to the eye and surroundings.. :thumbsup: )

SO.... finally... I was in pep-boys picking up my flowmaster I ordered and I decided to take a stop in the lighting section (my girlfriend was ready to kill me at this point haha).... they had everything i had aready tried... I asked up at the counter if they had any differant bulbs and they directed me to the 'NEON light and accesory isle' so i'm thinking, oh great.... this is going to be full of dulled out coated purple and retard blue ricer lights. Now I DID want a SLIGHT blue tint to my lights, BUT i didn't want retardedly blue beam... ricer lights that put off Horrible light...

I was right for the most part about the selection... but then I came accross a pair of 9004 American Auto Accessories '3-A Racing Performance' Crystal Hyper White Xenon bulbs.. now the wattage is 65/45w but i can honestly say these appear brighter and way higher quality than any of the lights i tried, including the silverstars.... HOWEVER... the light output on the street and surroundings is no where as good as the silverstars... but it's not horrible either. these lights are more for looks, than actually lighting performance..... but they aren't useless like most coated bulbs. according to the package they are REAL 4200º K!

now, for a note... they say for off-road use only.. Honestly I think thats rediculous and they don't blind you oncoming, no where as bad as the newer cars even with there regualr hologen bulbs.... HIDs are another story, I feel like i'm looking at a UFO coming down the street or 747 Landing lights on some HID equipped cars... they're rediculous! haha.. anyways, I mean if you decide to go with them- do at your own risk because I guess they are for off-road use only, howver i've driven by a few cops, even followed one at night just to see if he said anything (I had my 'COOL-BLUE' package in the truck still, that says '100% street legal') so i figured i'd show him that if he decided to let me pass him so he could pull me over.

I'm a little aggravted because these were $50 and if you add these and all the other bulbs I tried, like said before I could easily have a cheap H.I.D. kit... definetly going to still do a HID upgrade but I guess that will have to wait! but over all I'm very happy with these bulbs, had them in a full day/night and already have gotten many comments, even a few asking if i had HIDs... (but obviously they weren't too lighting educated,.... HIDS are in a league of there own!! and while my light is VERY bright white with a hint of blue.... it's NO WHERE near anything a true HID would put out.

but for those of you interested in simulated HID w/ blue tint without the pricetag. or without doing what i did and experimenting with various lights till you get what you want.. give these a shot! :thumbsup: :cool:

enough talking! picture time... :thumbsup: :cool:

heres what the case looks like...

55.jpg

edit, those aren't the 3A bulbs in that case, those are just the old Pilots just put em in there to keep em safe. :thumbsup: the 3A bulbs themselfs have a blue coating over them.. will get pictures of the bulb themselfs up if wanted.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wanted lights that the color of the bulb would "glow/glare" blue in the housing when off/in the day time... these are perfect for what i wanted... next mod... Diamond clear head lenses and clear corners... it's asking for 'em very badly! diamond clears would definetly make that blue bulb glow i wanted stick out even more. :thumbsup: :D

7922d77df601.jpg

Close up... remember these are in the stock headlight housings... which are in decent shape but still cloudy! will update when i get the clears on there!

e09299c165b0.jpg

day pic with the lights on. didn't come out too good (camera phone) but you get the point, very bright even in the day.. :thumbsup: :cool: they put off a pure very hyper white light.. that has a slight blue tint to it.. similar to the effect of some lower ºK HIDs. like i've said a million times, no where as good... but good enough!

ca14fc701790.jpg

some night photos... :cool:

I'm going to put one of the stock bulbs back in for comparison when i get a chance. for now tell me what you think!

3b447345e34c.jpg

41528c1460cb.jpg

now also keep in mind, these are with stock wiring and stock lenses... not too shabby.. :D Now i'm sure theres ebay lights you can get and everything for MUCH cheaper that will match or even surpass these, but I have a thing with ordering off ebay (got burnt on there before, so i try and stay away). I just wish i would have found these in the first place, rather than experimenting with all those other bulbs first! about the price of an actual entry level HID kit later i'm happy at least.... go figure LOL.

diamonds and upgraded wiring going in this weekend if time permitts.

thanks for letting me share, all comments appreciated,
will snap some better pics tonight or tomorrow maybe, as these aren't the best.

-Mike

Ive been thru many sets of ebay bulbs and finally got tired of them blowin so I bought a flowlighting hid kit and it came in the mail today..

lookin good tho.. where u gettin the diamond headlights from? i ordered mine from ebay cause its the only place i could find em

Ive been thru many sets of ebay bulbs and finally got tired of them blowin so I bought a flowlighting hid kit and it came in the mail today..

lookin good tho.. where u gettin the diamond headlights from? i ordered mine from ebay cause its the only place i could find em

definetly grabbing a HID kit asap as well! but i figured I already spent the $$ and they look pretty nice so i guess for now they'll do!

about the clears, I should have specified.. I'll be installing clear corners tomorrow (if time allows) I have a nice never used set of clears I bought off a friend who has a bagged ranger. I've looked on ebay and can NOT seem to find any diamond clear head lights for 1st gen explorers or (ranger/bronco IIs)! I have my friend with the ranger asking around a few of his minitruckin buddys so hopefully they'll be able to find something!

do you have a link to the auction? i'd like to pick up a set as well.

anyways, I hope this 'review' can at least help someone, I know it would have helped me and saved me some good $$$! I mean i've seen euro design bulbs and all, and ebay bulbs saying they go to 8000ºk etc etc and i can't honestly comment on any of them, I haven't tried them... but if your just looking to pick up a set of good looking bulbs locally rather than doing the whole ebay thing... try these out! :cool:

Thanks again,
-Mike

i got a H.I.D. kit from ebay. i'm happy with them, the G/F likes them (she is the one that drives it more, she needs it more then i do). it is a 8000k kit from halo. when you look at the truck from the outside, they are a blue/purple color, like the Cadillacs and Mercedes, but when your inside except all around the edges they are pure white. i put them in around the end of oct., so it's winter (very winter, like -48C with the wind chill) and haven't had problems. but now that i've said that, i'm sure ones gonna blow now!

never buy those cheap HID imitation bulbs, they dont give you any light at all. its worth it just buying a kit. You got to watch the kits tho, some of them cheap ones are really low quality and the bulbs burn out in like 6 months. A good pair of quality HID bulbs is like $120. I would stick with McCulloch as their rep is very good

like it said, this is a good ALTERNATIVE to $200 HID kits.. but no where as good :cool:

great thread MIZZ. good practical info. Thanks for all your efforts !!!

You could make back part of the cost if you sell all of these bulbs. Don't expect to get too much for slightly used bulbs though. The next trend is going to be LED lighting, so look into this before buying the HID system.

ive got an hid kit from my 97 cavalier and im gonna install it into my 2k1 explorer. what model number build should i use in there? better yet what fits?

Nokya

I ordered Nokya Arctic White Headlights from Advance Auto Parts. I ordered them for headlights, bright lights, and fog lights except I had to put bright light bulbs in the fog lights because they didn't have any H10 bulbs. I have and 03 explorer and these are VERY BRIGHT bulbs. Have only had these for a week but would definitely recommended them. They were recommended to me by the staff at Advance. These are probably about as bright as you can get without an HID kit.

I'd suggest Projectors

Nice job hunting those bulbs down! But I'll still stick with a HID projector system. (lights more evenly)

If you wanna see some good auxiliary lighting check out my Taurus (in my signature)

Its got those Sylvania Silverstar Bulbs and an Add-on Foglamp kit from Pilot (PL-28008) and I drive dark back roads for SAR missions. These Addons add better lighting to the corner of the roads especially. But in your case since your lights are different than mine you may have better more even lighting already!

Alright, since you already did all the work for us, that means you can help me out also...

I want something that is strong than my stock ones that I have, I just replaced both my headlights last year with the Philps 9004 regular driving ones, they produce good enough light, but after a ride in one of my buddies new Nissan Murano with those halogen ones, these stocks don't feel right, I want something that gives off White light with a touch of blue in it, but just like you said nothing that looks likes those ricer Honda civics that I'm used to seeing. I've seen these Philps Night driving Blue ones at Autozone for $30, but I left it thinking about that blue lights they'll throw off.
What do you recommend? I usually like buying things of online so Online is good for me and also don't break the budget of $35. Thanks

xdviper, look at the above reply that i wrote. i think those are great headlights and they are about 25 a pair from advance. (hopefully you have an advance by you, especially since they are usually right by autozone) they produce a white light but kinda look blue from a distance. there are several kinds you can get though

Alright, since you already did all the work for us, that means you can help me out also...

I want something that is strong than my stock ones that I have, I just replaced both my headlights last year with the Philps 9004 regular driving ones, they produce good enough light, but after a ride in one of my buddies new Nissan Murano with those halogen ones, these stocks don't feel right, I want something that gives off White light with a touch of blue in it, but just like you said nothing that looks likes those ricer Honda civics that I'm used to seeing. I've seen these Philps Night driving Blue ones at Autozone for $30, but I left it thinking about that blue lights they'll throw off.
What do you recommend? I usually like buying things of online so Online is good for me and also don't break the budget of $35. Thanks

Time to kick a dead snake here..

those blue bulbs will never be brighter than a GE Nighthawk or Sylvania Silverstar Ultra.

I put a pair on my exploder and i've seen the light. Litterally. I'm talking SERIOUS improvement. I'll try to get pics.

Alright, I could either go with Sylvania or the GE.....

Sylvania goes fors about $35 on amazon, and the GEs go for 20 after a $10 rebate.... I'm leaning more towards the GE...

and PS. Please post some pictures, I gotta see it!

Alright, I could either go with Sylvania or the GE.....

Sylvania goes fors about $35 on amazon, and the GEs go for 20 after a $10 rebate.... I'm leaning more towards the GE...

and PS. Please post some pictures, I gotta see it!

I definitely will when my dad gets back from TDY with it. In the meantime, here is my Taurus with Silverstar Ultras as well.

fujipics063tp7.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They look pretty bright Doitbig...

But is there a chance where you can take a picture of it on a dark roadway? and also with the hi-beams on... Sorry to ask so much but, last week while coming back to Brooklyn from Long island on the southern state pkwy, there are no lights at all on the road, and it was about 3am in the mourning and I could not see anything on the road unless I turned on the Hi-beams, so I'ma get this done asap.

Back