• Register Today It's free!

Removing Running boards

94eddiebauer

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington Hills, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Eddie Bauer 4dr
One of the simplest things to do to gain more ground cleanence is to remove the factory running board/ side steps. Although many people like to use them once they have a lift, I think that it looks better without. Many of you have done this some have not. It takes less than an hour with hand tools (mainly a 13mm socket) and even less with air tools. Here's how it goes:

There are four brackets holding each of the steps on. Each bracket has four holes in it. Only three bolts go in each bracket.

The steps are held on with regular metric bolts and special nuts seen here.

There is a philips screw at the front on each side that needs to be taken out.

There may also be a small screw in the rear.

Now the running board is unbolted but there are still clips holding the step up.

If you simply apply pressure to the step, the clips will detach and the running board is now completely off.

Be sure to take the clips/nuts off.

Now it looks a lot better. But there are small holes that run the length of the car now. But it still looks good.

I hope that helps. It's really easy and takes very little time.

Bill

I'd like to add that if you remove the running boards, it would be best to replace them with something like rock sliders because the running board do offer some protection against rocks. Without the running boards, its a lot easier to dent or scuff up the doors.

I'm pretty sure my Explorer's door would have been eaten alive last weekend if the running boards werent' there (see dent below):
DSC_0205_resize.jpg

Back