Afboy143

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey guys,
I know there are a lot of you dying to hear some exhaust clips from 4.0 motors. I, for one, have done a lot of searching and always wished there were a thread like this. Please, feel free to post your sound clips here. Make sure to specify if your 4.0 is SOHC or OHV. Also, if your posting flowmasters, make sure to specify exactly which muffler you have. (Delta Flow, Original, Super 40, Super 44, ect). Have fun!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

and Ill start off...

IMCO Extreme Muffler
Single IN/OUT 2.5" Piping
Dumped at muffler
http://www.afsupplements.com/imco/MOV00745-0001.wmv
DSC00742.JPG

DSC00743.JPG

Flowmaster 50 series SUV 3 Chamber
dual in/out 2.25" pipe
Duals ran to the back
Drive by clip:
http://www.afsupplements.com/sounds/driveby.avi
Pulling into driveway
http://www.afsupplements.com/sounds/driveway.avi
Idle
http://www.afsupplements.com/sounds/idle.avi
DSC00079.JPG

DSC00078.JPG

Here it is exactly how it was ran. Duals ran with spare tire kept...
http://www.afsupplements.com/sounds/exhaustroute.avi

Here is my current set up.
Flowmaster original 40
2.5" Offroad Y Pipe
2.5" High Flow Cat (ceramic)
Single in/out 2.5" Flowmaster Original 40 dumped
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hE3RuFBD3A

Here it is connected at the manifold. 2" to 2.5" adapter on Y pipe
DSC01440.JPG

DSC01439.JPG

DSC01437.JPG

DSC01436.JPG

DSC01435.JPG

DSC01434.JPG

I'll try and get mine in here soon.

That is not a true dual exhaust setup, i want a true dual setup, anyone know of such a system for a 1993 4x4 4 door explorer?

It will have to be custom made. There is no after market company that makes a bolt on dual exhaust for any year or model of Explorer.

Nice thread. :thumbsup:

That is not a true dual exhaust setup, i want a true dual setup, anyone know of such a system for a 1993 4x4 4 door explorer?

Its actually a dual in/out muffler. You will need to custom make a true dual system for your explorer. Remember that true duals on the 4.0 motors lose low end power since 4.0 motors like back pressure. This is why I went from dual 2.25" pipes to a single 2.5" pipe

on the 4.0 which one is deeper the 40 or 50 series flomaster and which one sounds better dual in/out or dual in /single out?

I just had my exhaust done this morning. I have the 4.0 OHV motor. I had a Cherrybomb Pro muffler installed along with 2.5" tailpipe. I actually installed it over the weekend with a turndown and just now had the tailpipe installed. The sounds is very very close to what I want. Here is a quick video of how it sounds at idle. I think it sounds better than a flowmaster and the price was right. This muffler is a clone of the IMCO PRO, and is available at Pepboys.

Its much deeper than the magnaflow I just removed. I'm not sure how the drone is going to be, but with the turndown, it wasn't bad at all.

Dan

VERY interesting you did this because I was looking at the exact same muffler. Which flowmaster muffler did you have installed? Does it sound chambered or close to the magnaflow with a straight thru design?

I just had my exhaust done this morning. I have the 4.0 OHV motor. I had a Cherrybomb Pro muffler installed along with 2.5" tailpipe. I actually installed it over the weekend with a turndown and just now had the tailpipe installed. The sounds is very very close to what I want. Here is a quick video of how it sounds at idle. I think it sounds better than a flowmaster and the price was right. This muffler is a clone of the IMCO PRO, and is available at Pepboys. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9uXd55k5pU

Its much deeper than the magnaflow I just removed. I'm not sure how the drone is going to be, but with the turndown, it wasn't bad at all.

Dan

VERY interesting you did this because I was looking at the exact same muffler. Which flowmaster muffler did you have installed? Does it sound chambered or close to the magnaflow with a straight thru design?

I had an original 40 installed. It does sound chambered. The magnaflow sounded alright, but just didn't do it for me. I need to find a better camera to get videos with, the camera phone doesn't cut it. I think this muffler gives a good mix between the flowmaster and magnaflow, it seems like it flows really well, but gives a throatier, deeper sound than the Magnaflow or flowmaster. I picked this muffler up and was expecting to have to order it, but they even had it in stock. I was considering the extreme, but I don't want something that is too loud. My original plan was to go with a Hooker Aerochamber and 3" pipe cat back. But it was difficult to find that muffler anywhere at a reasonable price. I was also looking at the vortex? muffler but from what I have seen, its pricier and was thinking it may sound like the magnaflow. So far I am impressed with this muffler, especially with the sound and the bang for the buck. Now this muffler is not as loud as the magnaflow, and It may be a little quieter than the Flow 40. But at idle there is a very distinct V8ish rumble going on up to about 2000-2500 RPM. I found that after that RPM range most mufflers tend to sound the same on my truck. The shop I went to, Meineke, actually did a very good job of bending the pipe and the welds look great. The only thing I wish they would have done was remove the 18" extension pipe I had in there for the turndown and weld the tailpipe directly to the muffler. I guess this gives me the option of swapping mufflers without cutting anything since its just clamped. Like I said, the work was great and the price was the best I had heard in a while. I have another sound clip on youtube, but the quality is poor, again cell phone camera is horrible. Sorry for the long post. I forgot to mention, It may get a little louder and deeper if I decide to add a tip on the end.

Dan

i want to hear it rev so see what it sounds like at higher rpms

i want to hear it rev so see what it sounds like at higher rpms

Heres a video I shot quick this morning. The sound quality is not the best, but if you have good speakers it helps a little.
Heres a video of the magnaflow to compare the 2.

Dan

I had an original 40 installed. It does sound chambered. The magnaflow sounded alright, but just didn't do it for me. I need to find a better camera to get videos with, the camera phone doesn't cut it. I think this muffler gives a good mix between the flowmaster and magnaflow, it seems like it flows really well, but gives a throatier, deeper sound than the Magnaflow or flowmaster. I picked this muffler up and was expecting to have to order it, but they even had it in stock. I was considering the extreme, but I don't want something that is too loud. My original plan was to go with a Hooker Aerochamber and 3" pipe cat back. But it was difficult to find that muffler anywhere at a reasonable price. I was also looking at the vortex? muffler but from what I have seen, its pricier and was thinking it may sound like the magnaflow. So far I am impressed with this muffler, especially with the sound and the bang for the buck. Now this muffler is not as loud as the magnaflow, and It may be a little quieter than the Flow 40. But at idle there is a very distinct V8ish rumble going on up to about 2000-2500 RPM. I found that after that RPM range most mufflers tend to sound the same on my truck. The shop I went to, Meineke, actually did a very good job of bending the pipe and the welds look great. The only thing I wish they would have done was remove the 18" extension pipe I had in there for the turndown and weld the tailpipe directly to the muffler. I guess this gives me the option of swapping mufflers without cutting anything since its just clamped. Like I said, the work was great and the price was the best I had heard in a while. I have another sound clip on youtube, but the quality is poor, again cell phone camera is horrible. Sorry for the long post. I forgot to mention, It may get a little louder and deeper if I decide to add a tip on the end.

Dan

LOL, it’s even funnier you said you wanted to go with the extreme because I’ve actually had that muffler on my truck as well. It is a very loud muffler….almost sounds like I had no muffler at all. All it is is a single chamber muffler with a triangular wing in it. It was so tiny. The casing itself I believe is 11” long. It got too loud for me so I ended up going with the flowmaster original 40. Dumped, I liked the muffler. Its deep, and sounds A LOT better than past mufflers I’ve had (Flowmaster SUV 50, Flowmaster Super 40, Flowmaster Super 44, IMCO Xtreme). One thing we need to clarify as we speak is you have the OHV motor, I have the SOHC. Your motor tends to sound a bit deeper than mine….mine is known to sound “higher pitched”.

With that said, my current exhaust system consists of
Stock manifolds
2.5” Offroad Y-pipe
Single 2.5” high-flow spin-cat ceramic converter right after the Y
Single in/out 2.5” Flowmaster original 40
2.5” tail pipe
All piping is mandrel bent

This setup sounds the best to me and I am 110% happy with it. When I added the tailpipe, it toned the sound down a bit, but added deepness and the “chambered” tone. I will say that, and this usually happens with most V6’s, above 3k it does lose the chambered sound and sounds more like a solid voooom sound. If I floor it, it just gets loud. Not 4 cylinder buzzy, just loud. And while I am on the note of 4 cylinder loud, when I had the offroad Y pipe without the high flow cat, It was REALLY LOUD. When I floored it, it sounded like a pissed off bee…smelled bad too. My current set up, which is above, is my favorite of all and I don’t think I will change it. I was debating going to go with the (at the time it was IMCO, but cherry bomb bought them out) Pro series muffler or the flowmaster original 40 and I went flowmaster because I am a fan of the chambered sound. I will get some high quality clips sometime soon. This set up is loud, but sounds good to me. I def. recommend anyone who does this to run a tail pipe because it really does add that chambered sound over a dump. Got to love V6’s….

LOL, it’s even funnier you said you wanted to go with the extreme because I’ve actually had that muffler on my truck as well. It is a very loud muffler….almost sounds like I had no muffler at all. All it is is a single chamber muffler with a triangular wing in it. It was so tiny. The casing itself I believe is 11” long. It got too loud for me so I ended up going with the flowmaster original 40. Dumped, I liked the muffler. Its deep, and sounds A LOT better than past mufflers I’ve had (Flowmaster SUV 50, Flowmaster Super 40, Flowmaster Super 44, IMCO Xtreme). One thing we need to clarify as we speak is you have the OHV motor, I have the SOHC. Your motor tends to sound a bit deeper than mine….mine is known to sound “higher pitched”.

With that said, my current exhaust system consists of
Stock manifolds
2.5” Offroad Y-pipe
Single 2.5” high-flow spin-cat ceramic converter right after the Y
Single in/out 2.5” Flowmaster original 40
2.5” tail pipe
All piping is mandrel bent

This setup sounds the best to me and I am 110% happy with it. When I added the tailpipe, it toned the sound down a bit, but added deepness and the “chambered” tone. I will say that, and this usually happens with most V6’s, above 3k it does lose the chambered sound and sounds more like a solid voooom sound. If I floor it, it just gets loud. Not 4 cylinder buzzy, just loud. And while I am on the note of 4 cylinder loud, when I had the offroad Y pipe without the high flow cat, It was REALLY LOUD. When I floored it, it sounded like a pissed off bee…smelled bad too. My current set up, which is above, is my favorite of all and I don’t think I will change it. I was debating going to go with the (at the time it was IMCO, but cherry bomb bought them out) Pro series muffler or the flowmaster original 40 and I went flowmaster because I am a fan of the chambered sound. I will get some high quality clips sometime soon. This set up is loud, but sounds good to me. I def. recommend anyone who does this to run a tail pipe because it really does add that chambered sound over a dump. Got to love V6’s….

My future plans... eventually include have a y-pipe fabbed up out of 2.25" pipe into a 2.5" hi-flow cat. I have one of my cats hollowed out and I would like to either remove it, or have it opened up and a pipe welded inside. I think this would help the sound even more. I was driving earlier today and noticed that it actually sounds good up to about 3000-3500 RPM. I agree as for having the tailpipe, it does sound much better with it. I have another video of the interior sound that I will post later. Youtube is being slow in approving it. Heres the video that I shot this morning.

Dan

OK so here is mine, at least until I can decide on a muffler. I needed to tow my camper this past week. So I figured I would experiment a little with the exhaust.

So, I cut off the boat anchor of a muffler and replaced it with a straight section of pipe. I kept the stock resonator and this is what it ended up sounding like.

The cabin noise is only slightly louder than stock, outside the truck is another story. After towing a 4900lb monster popup camper I can say that climbing the large hills (AKA east coast mountains) was much improved without the stock muffler in place. But I wouldn't want to say that it gave me more power without a dyno. But it did feel better towing. Now I need to decide what muffler to throw in place of the straight pipe, or I may leave the truck like this.

Edit: updated the video to youtube

(turn up bass on speakers)

Well ladies and gentlemen, Ive got MORE clips to add! Well, story on the first clip. So I take my truck in to get a tailpipe welded up. I had a Flowmaster Original 40 dumped with a highflow cat. Well.....I got the tip put on. 3 days later, it fell off while driving. Yes, thats right. FELL OFF. Don't ask how...I have no idea? Crappy clamps he used? Anyway, contacted lawyer and BBB on that one. Heres a clip of running just the offroad Y pipe, no cats, no nothin

Next is what I did after the fact. I went to a shop owned by a friend I knew. Well he welded that muffler back up (after I got it off a busy road) to the offroad Y pipe. He said to keep the cat off since the tail pipe will muffle it. (I had the cat on to muffle th dump. Tree huggers, go away). I then had mandrel-bent 2.5" pipe ran to the rear from the flowmaster and to a two-tipped-tip. Below is a clip of my pulling out of my driveway, driving down the street and parking. I love this exhaust. As you can see, it gets loud until you reach about 50 MPH and it shuts up (unless you get on it). Tell me what you think!

EDIT: I just noticed youtube downscaled the quality a lot! Sorry, the original video had a lot more light in it. I hope you get the idea....Pulled out of drive way. Went on neighborhood road. Stopped, turned onto main road. Turned into parking lot, parked, revved. :)

I was finally able to get a hold of a good digital camera to record some sounds. The camera phone I was using just does not do it justice. Heres the newest clip.

Dan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The water spraying the lens was pure luck as the camera was a good 10-15 feet away. Im not sure how to edit to block the plate though.

Dan

Back