'98 Mounty with 6" KC's behind grille, 5" Pro Comp fogs on with high beams | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'98 Mounty with 6" KC's behind grille, 5" Pro Comp fogs on with high beams

'98 Mounty with 6" KC's behind grille, 5" fogs rewired to stay on with high beams

Well I finally got my front end finalized. After I added the body lift I had to loose my stock fog lamps :( , so I mounted my 5" pro comp fog lights in the factory location. The Pro Comp's have the same wattage as the factory fogs, so I am using the stock wiring to power the lights. No problems as of yet (other than me having the power/ground reversed on the lights, lol). I need to add another bracket that goes vertically and ties the lights to the body (they're just mounted to the bumper right now, so they flutter on washboard roads). The first pic is how I mounted the 5" fogs.

My 6" KC 100W Slimlites also needed a place to go. I didn't want to mount them infront of the grille because I love the way the '98+ Mounty front ends look. I had always liked the way Bill Kemp had his lights mounted behind the grille, so I figured I'd give it a go. Working around the body lift was a slight challenge, but with me now having access to a plasma cutter and MIG welder anything is possible :) Here is how Bill has his mounted...

2084merc_headlights.jpg

To mount mine, I fab'd up some brackets that support the lights and tie into the bumper and body. The brackets are made of 1" wide x 3/32" thick strip steel that I bought at Lowes. They were fab'd using the good 'ole vise and BFH approach :hammer: They mount to the back side of the bumper then to the fiberglass shroud that holds the grille. I welded in some reinforcement tabs to take out any bounce the lights might see. (Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me when I made the lights)

The 2nd and third attached pics are of the brackets and lights mounted on the truck.

I had to play around with the spacing on the brackets. I ultimately ended up slotting the holes (yeah plasma cutter) so I could move the lights forward/back 3/4" of an inch (the back of my passenger side light was touching my tranny cooler). I got them mounted and wired up last night. Probably not my best wiring job but it was getting dark and I was getting tired then my headlamp battery died so I had to use my mag light and ended up wiring with the light held in my teeth.

This last pic is taken today

Attachments

• fog light mount.jpg
    fog light mount.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 682
  • D side mount.JPG
    D side mount.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 655
  • P side mount.JPG
    P side mount.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 659
  • front.JPG
    front.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 751

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow I love the look of those KC's behind the grill. That looks sweet!!

I just couldn't sacrifice the extra cooling for towing on hot days. That's a lot of blocked air going through there.

Here's some more pics...

The first is last night after I got everything wired up. You'll notice that my fog lights now stay on when I switch to high beams. I rewired the stock relay so they come on with the parking lamps (Ford made it like this in '99+) and also stay on with the high beams. You can learn more about this in Taxx's thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31137&highlight=fog+light+relay

The 2nd pic is how I have my switches wired inside. The console piece is from my Sport and the two outer switches are unused at this point. The left one will control my back up lights (when they get installed) and I'm not sure yet what I'll do with the right most switch (it used to control the ProComp 5" fogs on my old Explorer)

The 3rd pic is a little lesson I learned. Don't unplug this if you want your ABS to work! LoL, I had to unplug it to mount the relay for the KC's and forgot to plug it back in. When I went to drive the truck my ABS light came on and gave me a good scare until I figured out I had forgotten to plug it back in! :banghead:

Attachments

• all lights on.JPG
    all lights on.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 621
  • switch.JPG
    switch.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 958
  • ABS plug.JPG
    ABS plug.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 638

Wow I love the look of those KC's behind the grill. That's a lot of blocked air going through there.

im sure it is negligible. here is why.... at speed, the wind will confrom to the obstruction and will take any path around it, the air will hit it, go around and reform right behind it unobstructed... thats wh ya trunk mounted spoiler can actually do something that the roofline broke the original direction of the wind.... did that make sense?

abs, bah we dont need no abs!

Wow I love the look of those KC's behind the grill. That looks sweet!!

I just couldn't sacrifice the extra cooling for towing on hot days. That's a lot of blocked air going through there.

I've thought about that. It doesn't block as much as you would think. I'll be installing a tranny temp gage sometime so I can monitor it. I don't tow much so 95% of the time I'll be ok. I used to have 4 lights mounted across the front of my bumper on my Explorer and had plenty of airflow to the radiator.

If push comes to shove I can mount an aux cooler or aux filter (which I was already thinking about).

I've got a better picture of how I had the lights on my old Sport, but this is all I can find right now (mine is on the right).

Attachments

• Resize of IMGP1389.JPG
    Resize of IMGP1389.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 634

I'll have to do some playing around with it, since I have plans of welding up a front bumper guard/skid plate with some lights mounted on it. I know that while towing on hot days my temp gauge will go up to 198 without the air conditioning and 205 with the air conditioning on while climbing hills. I am currently looking into alternative fan options though so I have some more breathing room for options like this.

Your truck looked great with the hella's out front too. But it's much improved with the new light setup :thumbsup:

i wnat to do something liek that when i get my pushbar for my 96... im probably going to put a billit grille and maybe cut out the center section

So I just drove back from class and as I was walking to my truck I decided that lights behind the grille look really really cool :thumbsup: In direct sunlight the glass behind the grille really compliments the chrome and makes the front shine that much more :cool:

this was the first mod i ever did, i've always loved it. i wish i had the time to mount them better. i will when i get going on my mountaineer sport project

Looking really good Hokie! Love that stealth/built-in look. (as you probably guessed.) Switch placement is great also. I have the driving lights switch powered from the brights so they will go off with the brights or I can just use the brights w/o the driving lights. With the PIAAs I had to dremel off some of the inside of the grill bars to get them to fit. Especially on the passenger side where the tranny cooler is located.

Why did you loose your factory fog lights with a BL??

I was gonna ask that same question.

And you also said that your pro comp lights are the same wattage as the stock fogs so you used the stock wiring. I trimmed my bumper recently and removed the fog lights so i've been thinking of getting some new lights to replace them somewhere else. Is having the same wattage the only requirement that will allow you to just hook them up to the stock fog light wiring? Do you have another write up of how you wired those? or do you know of one already existing? I know basically nothing when it comes to wiring. Thanks

maybe the ended up being too high to be effective as fog lights

Nah, couldn't be. I have 4.5" of lift up front and my fog lights still work fine. Not much fog around here though :scratch:

Why did you loose your factory fog lights with a BL?? :scratch:

Because they were more like a 3"x5" square fog light. When I raised the front bumper 3" (to match the lift) he fog light housing was hitting the frame "ears" (where the bumpers mounts to the frame). No level of modification was going to allow me to keep them. I wasn't happy b/c I liked the look of the factory fogs.

My '99 Sport didn't have this problem as the factory fogs are round.

I was gonna ask that same question.

And you also said that your pro comp lights are the same wattage as the stock fogs so you used the stock wiring. I trimmed my bumper recently and removed the fog lights so i've been thinking of getting some new lights to replace them somewhere else. Is having the same wattage the only requirement that will allow you to just hook them up to the stock fog light wiring? Do you have another write up of how you wired those? or do you know of one already existing? I know basically nothing when it comes to wiring. Thanks

Well, if the wattage is the same, then the amperage draw will be the same (as the input voltage is obviously constant).

No write up needed:
I just cut the wires (between the plug on the body and the fog light itself) that were going to my factory fogs and spliced them with the power and ground that were coming out of my Pro Comp lights. I did it like this so I could re-use the stock plug. You can't see the plug in the pic, but its right next to the ABS sensor wire that is running vertical in the fog light pic I posted.

Looking really good Hokie! Love that stealth/built-in look. (as you probably guessed.) Switch placement is great also. I have the driving lights switch powered from the brights so they will go off with the brights or I can just use the brights w/o the driving lights.

Ditto, I wired in a relay so the KC's (100W driving lights) only come on with the high beams. (It would be irresponsible to do otherwise as you would forget and end up blinding people) The switch is there so I can further control when I want them.

Bill Kemp; said:
With the PIAAs I had to dremel off some of the inside of the grill bars to get them to fit. Especially on the passenger side where the tranny cooler is located.

Yeah, the KC SlimLites were still a tight fit. It took a couple iterations to get the bracket holes right. Ultimately I gave up and just slotted the friggin' thing with a plasma cutter :cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Humm thats good to know, I don't plan to do a BL, but if I do, I will have to plan to lose my fog lights.

Yeah, I wasn't happy. I didn't know until I had the lift in and was putting the bumpers back on. This was also the day before I was leaving to move to CO so I had to very quickly find a way to mount my Pro Comp fogs.

MountaineerGreen; said:
I like the lights behind the grill :thumbsup:

Get you some! :p:

I like the lights behind the grille also--:p:

jt - don't you have something similar to this on your truck?

Back