First Gen Snorkel Install (w/ pics) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First Gen Snorkel Install (w/ pics)

SuRrEaLNJ

hail to the king, baby!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
out of my mind...
Year, Model & Trim Level
MUNK 07 Focus 97 XL1200C
I put this up in my build up thread, but i dont expect everyone to read that, (its in my sig if your so inclined) so i figured id re-post it on its own

While my truck aint done, ive wanted to run a snorkel since day one, and having the front all apart anyway i figured id do it now rather than have to take anything apart again

Theres a couple of good snorkel threads on this site (DasFrem Con Seann3ry JDraper dman726749 comecaminos splodo49 i know theres more, but those were handy)
so i stole a little bit of eveyone elses ideas to come up with mine.

The snorkle is an arb head, on 2 pieces of 45* bend 2 1/2" electrical conduit. The flex pipe is 3" semi-rigid aluminum duct.
For the air box i dremeled a hole to fit a piece of 2 1/2 conduit for the hose to atach to. I sealed the stock snorkel tube location with a peice of scrap sheet metal and sealed the drain holes on the bottom with silicone. The conduit coming through the box had to be clearanced, i miterd it to folow the iner wall of the box on the inside to alow the air filter to sit properly.
As a precaution i put vaccume tubing around the holes i cut through the body to prevent the hose from chafing on it.
I didnt do the greatest job on the hole through the fender, but it works i miss judged when i measured for the first cut, hence the gap to the rear of the snorkle. just another lesson to measure 3 times (2 apparently wasn't enough) and cut once. if it bothers me enough ill make a trim piece out of some thin sheet

IMG_3125.jpg

IMG_3132.jpg

IMG_3134.jpg

IMG_3120.jpg

IMG_3121.jpg

IMG_3137.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

got it all finished and painted now
IMG_3170.jpg

wow, nice job man.

the concept looks pretty simple..

Wish i had that done before i hydrolocked last week.

At least i didn't do any significant damage to the engine. it still runs the same

Looks good. I havent been on this site for ever and i log on today and find out one of my old threads was helpful:thumbsup:

So do you really think you had to cut that much of the fender or could you have just trimmed some off the inside to make it fit? You don't happen to have the measure ments laying around do you?

Other peolpe who have made snorkels on first gens didnt have to cut that much of the fender just a circle the same diameter of the pipe, but also theres is ran parallel to the top of the fender insted of almost vertical like his.

i could have gotten away with a smaller hole if i didnt oops and then even it out so it wasnt as bad looking. the opening at the rear could have been alot closer to the pipe

I wanted to do it with making as little mods to the front clip as posible, so mine is mounted alot more outboard than some peoples, its actyally s shaped to a degree and comes back in towars the center of the vehicle a bit before it goes up the pillar. the bottom bein so far outboard is why the opening comes as far down the fender line.

i dont have any measurements, and honestly not all that many were taken, it was kind of a trial and error thing with me

I used your idea and modified it

I dont have this explorer anymore due to lay off at work but I did very similar now I am building a new 91 X mine is in my signature just could decide on a air ram.

Back