Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
and i can't do a thing with it--

it runs, but the idle is a bit high-
Transmission shifts 1-2, but no 3 and up gears-reverse is fine.

Now, I did crawl under and hose the transmission also-and I think there might be an issue there, as the last time I washed down there I got a flashing OD light.
I removed the console and sure enough-where I had a Jet transmission module spliced in earlier was some frayed wiring. I repaired it (I think) and yup, everything was normal.
Now don't give me any jet module crap-I bought it before I knew you guys--:p:

I hope I get in there and find a loose crimp connector from the car wash-but I am afraid I might have wiped out my maf--the high idle worries me.

I looked the pcm, and all connectors over for moisture-and it is dry as a bone.

I'm going to mess with it tomorrow-just thought I'd bring it into tonights conversation for some ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I wash my engine, I cover the battery, alt, cables, connector, ect with plastic bags. I know this doesnt help, but I take extreme caution when I put water under the hood. Good Luck. This is one of my biggest fears when I put water under my hood as my expo is my DD

No codes being thrown? What about the connectors n wiring to the transmission? Did you try and reset the ECU by pulling the negative terminal?
Do you think Maybe something happened to the MAF? Maybe water got into the wire plug? (explaining the high idle?)
I'm sorry to hear about this man, I've wanted to wash my engine so bad, but issues like this keep me from doing it.

This is also why I simple green my cars... if water under the hood is 90% safe, it never fails that I'll be the 10%.

Oh no doubt, any pics? =) I love the look of a clean engine.. heheh

that sux jon i hope u figure out whats wrong with ur engine

Well, I get it steamed every 6 mos or so...

You already know I don't have a clue, but at the car wash they steam clean it. That video of yours there is alright man! :thumbsup:

Thats why i haven't washed any of my engines before.... Even though the 92 REALLLY needs it..

You already know I don't have a clue, but at the car wash they steam clean it. That video of yours there is alright man! :thumbsup:

Are you 100% sure about that? At the car wash i used to work at we said we steamed cleaned them, but all we did was spray it with a power washer and then use vinyl cleaner on all the plasitc to make it look pretty.

You are correct!

They do exactly what you said, but on some vehicles that high pressure nozzle they don't use. They use a ton of vinyl cleaner... :) If they clean under the engine (a premium) they use the high pressure (on mine done that one time)

Boy-you guys are beginning to sound like my wife.

Any other ideas besides I shouldn't have gotten my engine wet?
Where were you all when I showed the engine bay dirty-and the "wash that thing" comments poured in? :p:

It is perfectly ok to wash an engine-I'm pretty sure I got a bit of water into the open filter and made the MAF sensor a mud pie , or,I bumped a connection loose.
I just gotta find it. I'll hook up the xcal and see if it will give me any clues.

OH
vacuum is 20hg at 1100 idle--like I said,i it's kind of a high idle so the vacuum is a bit high ( 224 degree camshaft), but this narrows out a leak.Normal idle vacuum is about 16hg at 950 rpm idle.

It is perfectly ok to wash an engine

So long as you're careful, i'd rather just drive through a giant puddle REALLY fast multiple times.. Should work well enough.

Jon, just let things dry completely and I bet you will be fine.

Good luck my friend ...

Jon, just let things dry completely and I bet you will be fine.

Good luck my friend ...

Thanks Al, I hope so
I washed it yesterday-but drove home very slowly. There was a lumber truck in front of me for the entire 7 blocks home, so I didn't even go over 15 mph I imagine. I wouldn't have noticed anything anyway.
It was then parked and wiped down.

I didn't notice a problem until today when I drove it again.
. Maybe another night will get it-

After washing mine, I immediately crank the engine and let it run while I take a leaf blower and completely dry it before applying Pig Spit.

Hope it works out for you.

Jon all this talk about a clean engine but no pic? Come on now whats up with that buddy???

That sucks jon but if it helps when i pressure wash mine it acts up for a day or two.

I'm getting nervous to clean my engine, after seeing several threads with people having problems..I usually pressure wash under my hood:eek: and never had a problem. Maybe I should quit while I'm ahead..

I wash my engine at least quarterly and have never had any problems.

However, I never pressure wash. I use both Gunk Engine Cleaner and Simple Green and rinse with a gently stream of water.

I do not wet the fuse box or relay box nor the PCM and alternator.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get an air compressor and blow out all of the electrical connectors, you'll be surprised how much water you'll find still in a "dry" engine in all of those nooks and crannies and in the electrical connectors. Also make sure your plugs don't have any water trapped under the boots. I remember this nightmare from my SHO days- holy crap those engines are like crepe paper and water. They don't get along at all... LOL!

If you do wash an engine, always hit it with compressed air to blow everything out as best as you can, and start it immediately and let it heat up to evaporate the rest off.

Back