• Register Today It's free!

what is this???

Scott M.

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham,Al
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Explorer Sport
While attempting to wire my 2k Sport with trailer lights I found a wiring harness with a plug behind my drivers side tail light. The plug hooks up to my brake lights and goes to nothing. Is this a factory installed trailer hookup? If it is, it needs another plug to route the wire to the bumper. Is there something that I can buy on the aftermarket scene or from the factory that will plug right in? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There should be a wire connector like that on both sides, one is for the trailer light wires.

That's exactly what it's for. The dealership sells the kit for around $30 IIRC. It includes the pigtail for the 4-flat connector, bracket and mounting bolt for the bumper, and a couple clips to hold the wire in place.

There are aftermarket harnesses available too, but I haven't seen one that includes the bracket. (Hoppy, Draw-Tite, and Valley all sell them)

-Joe

Thanks gijoecam! I only have one harness and it is behind the drivers tail light. I'll go to the dealership today. Again, this forum has helped even the most mundane question.

Happy to help. If you need it, any dealership can order it. For a little better price, e-mail sales at fastpartsnetwork.com and ask Torrie to get it for you... it may take a couple days longer, but it'll usually be worth the wait.

-Joe

Back