I call my latest project SUPER PAINT! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I call my latest project SUPER PAINT!

Actually, it's called Dupli-Color truck bed liner. Compared to paint, it's a *****. I'm working on rolling it on and here's my progress so far:

DCFC0005.jpg

DCFC0006.jpg

Note, also, the flat black wheels, grille, and headlight trim. This thing is going to black on black.:cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't even get me started on the smell! That stuff smells like the glue you use to make model cars.

Good luck i did my old celica in that stuff every time i had a rock hit my car it lost a large flake of black and showed the white paint under. It was easy to fix though i kept a can of the spray in the trunk covered right up and blended itself.

Uh oh...I hope my Explorer doesn't end up like that. Did you spray it all on or roll some of it on? How thick of a coat of the liner did you have? I'm going for at least 3 thick coats of the stuff on my Explorer.

I coated by metal bumpers in it.
it chips off pretty easily
the better prepared the metal is underneath the better it holds up (scuffed up and CLEAN before you apply)

The reason I used this stuff is because it looks and feels better then flat black paint and because I can easily hit my bumper with a wire wheel on the end of a drill, clean up around the chipped area, clean the metal and re-apply.

I use the spray cans..... I re-do my bumpers about once every summer to keep the rust away and them looking nice.

Doing your whole truck is a good idea, as long as you prep the paint underneath you shouldnt have a gbig issue, and like stated, if it chips, just scratch the chipped area to remove the loose stuff and re-spray.

I am planning to use a product called Bull Dog bed liner, I will roll it on.
I am using bull dog because its super tough and available in any color.

Damn, now I learn about different colored bed liner! My original plan was to coat it with flat olive drab if I could find it, but I settled with black on black.

Actually, originally, I wanted it sprayed with Rhino Lining, but it would cost $4k to do it.

I wonder if it doubles as an anti reflective radar beater:D "Stealth Explorer"!

ROFL! That is one thing that I was telling my girlfriend. Since her parents hate me, I can roll up to her house with the lights off at night in "stealth mode" and pick her up undetected. That is, of course, if I put my muffler back on. lol

When i did the celica i bought two cases of the spray on dupli-color ruberized bed liner and one case of beer had the whole thing done in a few hours the hood was the only thing that was hard to get to look good. It was an attempt to make fun of all the ricers complete with a ceder tail fin and a glasspac with folgers exhaust tip. But i did go off roading in that car and it did great

prep work is the key. and you do have to move fast when rolling it. from what I have seen, duplicolor or herculiner works the same if you dont prep right, or you get it on your hootus.

Well, finished the other side. Just have the rear hatch and 2/3 of the roof to go.

explorer_almostdone1.jpg

that bumper looks so out of place on that thing! lol

Yeah, that is the one thing that I'm not liking about the truck right now. I'm going to build some custom bumpers sometime soon, so there's no point in wasting material on the stock bumpers. Until I get the custom bumpers installed, I might just rattle can spray paint them flat black. At least they won't stick out like a sore thumb.

prep work is the key. and you do have to move fast when rolling it. from what I have seen, duplicolor or herculiner works the same if you dont prep right, or you get it on your hootus.

heheheh. You all are STILL talking about the herc on the hootus incident. hehe good to see that.

Regarding black trim paint, etc., I have found that I have to re-do mine about every 4 or 5 years. I just doesn't hold up that well; then again, I never have clear coated any of the trim paint. That might help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OMFG !!! I want to do this same thing, but uh first questions...

How well does the stuff hold up in day to day driving ? And what kind of preping did you do, can you provide a list of steps ? (im a first time painter)

What was the total cost and how long did the whole project take ?

Oh yeah, is that spray paint on the bumpers, or the same product.. ?

Also any more pics, cus after i saw the finished product, i had a nice bulge in my pants.

Back