96 EX Door Lock Actuator Removal w/Pics! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 EX Door Lock Actuator Removal w/Pics!

lunchboxx

Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 pontiac bonneville
Ok, project #2 on the sister in laws 96 EB EX..
You get started the same as you did in this thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220694
by removing the door trim.

Then remove this bolt here that holds the lower window guide in place
door10a.jpg

You can either leave this window guide in the bottom of the door or, like I did, add it to the pile!
door11.jpg

LOOK inside the door and towards the side of the door where the outside lock should be..RIGHT on passenger side, LEFT on driver's side and LOOK for this guy
lock1.jpg

Unhook the power supply to this little guy. Now you need to get the door lock actuator (the thing that looks like it is draped in a black rubber baloon) out of that clip. Previous suggestions include:tough fingers, a screw driver, pliers, or a stiff drink (for you..doesnt help the actuator much). Once the acutator is out of the clip you will have the range of motion needed to jimmy it out of the lock connection. This is not hard, but not a breeze either. Be patient and try not to bend the metal parts too much.
lock2.jpg

OK nows its out and its back to the kitchen table. Take off the big black condom looking thing
lock3.jpg

You need to drill out these holes. Sorry I dont remember what size they were, just pick a drill bit that fits in the hole and drill through..
lock5.jpg

Like so
lock6.jpg

Now take a box cutter and jam the blade (carefully..its gonna take you a long time to fix this if you have to take a hospital break and hop over to the ER for some stitches) into the seam where the plastic is joined. Stritcly speaking, this is not meant to be a user serviceable part so we kinda have to force it to be. I drew a red line where you need to cut. You will know you are done when you hear and feel a satisfying crunch. Repeat at the other 3 corners.
lock7.jpg

This is what you are gonna find inside. Take notes on where stuff goes (or a picture) and then take it all out. I left the motor in( i dont think it comes out anyhow). Clean all the old grease off the housing and the gears.
lock8.jpg

Re-install the gears with a small amount of fresh grease and then use
nutsnbolts.jpg

your favorite set of nuts and bolts to button it back up.

Re-install to the car and see if that fixed it. OH! now is a good time to lubricate the internal lock mechanism and to check/adjust the downrod from
the outer door handle that has the yellow plastic clip on it.

Have FUN!

Well that doesnt look or sound like any fun at all.

Ya' Know it wouldnt be but for 2 things

1. I really like working on cars. My car is a 96 Bonneville and I work on it a bit too.

2. Rebuilding this was WAY cheaper than buying a new one.

Back