How-To E-Clip Eliminator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How-To E-Clip Eliminator

mjones97

Reaction score
City, State
Salem, IN
This is another way to eliminate the E-Clip found in the '84-'90 Bronco II, '91-'94 Explorer, or a '83-'97 Ranger Dana Twin Traction Beam (TTB) front suspension.

I can get these springs for anyone interested for $6 + shipping.

Difficulty: 4 out of 10

100_5034.jpg

The spring is 2-1/4" long with a 1.445" OD and a 1.2395" ID.
100_5037.jpg

100_5041.jpg

100_5045.jpg

First off, you have to squeeze the spring over the splines of the male passenger axle shaft. This can be a pain if you don't have a vice. You will have to sort of stretch the very bottom coil and slip it over the spline. Then you need to slowly drive the spring down over the splines of the shaft.
The spring rest against the end of the female inner axle shaft.
100_5046.jpg

100_5049.jpg

100_5050.jpg

100_5051.jpg

After that, you should do something to keep it from slipping over the groove in the shaft. I chose to run a weld around the axle. This will keep the spring from popping over the groove and causing it to fail.
100_5052.jpg

100_5053.jpg

100_5054.jpg

100_5055.jpg

Now you can re-install the boot and use a pair of hose clamps to hold it on. Remember to grease up the axle splines before you slide the female end over the male end.
100_5056.jpg

100_5057.jpg

Finally, you can re-install the axle into the truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Moved out of the "Tech Forum" so the thread will be viewable.

Cool, I had no clue where to put it.

This should help out the people that have a hard time visualizing where the spring goes.

Yea that is why I did it. I didn't understand it either so I asked and then made a better how to than was out there already.

Good job!

thanks!

ive never had my axles out.. anyone have any pictures of the stock setup with the clip?
It is just a small C clip that clips over the end of the axle inside the diff. It keeps the axle from coming out.

Can you still get these?

Back