O/D Light Blinking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

O/D Light Blinking

vandydavid

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Hey Everyone, First off I just want to thank you for this forum. I have found a lit of useful information. I am having some serious problems with my 1996 Explorer XLT. I had my transmission replaced for the second time about 2 years ago and I believe the same thing is happening again. My O/D Light starts blinking after about 10-15 minutes of driving. Usually at a higher speed. Around 45 to 50 MPH. Then when I slow down and try and go again is is like it is still in 4th or 5th gear. If I turn the car off it and back on its fine for about 10 minutes and the problem just repeats itself. I took it in to autozone while the O/D Light was blinking and I got Three Codes. PO751, PO756, PO761. All saying Shift Solenoid A,B and C CKT Performance or STuck Off.

How can I get this corrected. Can I do this myself? Help please. LOW on Cash :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks so much for your input. No, I have not done any off roading. Would you recommend changing the transmission fluid, or is that not worth doing. The message code that it is given of Solenoid A,B and C is CKT performace or Stuck Off. Does it sound like an electrical problem to you.

Get it to a Tranny shop ASAP!!!! Mine did this and I ignored it and $2100.00 later I had a rebuilt tranny.
Owner of shop said if O/D light starts blinking it has internal problems and that means it is in limp home mode and WILL fail if not repaired!!!!!

i'm having this same problem, i have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport. Once in a while the tranny at least SEEMS to slip from second to third gear, approximately 30 mpg, but does not do it very often, but when it does the o/d light blinks. Can it be bad solenoids? I've seen this is a very common problem but can not find any definate solutions, their must be someone out their that has figured this out without replacing the tranny our rebuilding

The tech at the Tranny shop said had I brought it in earlier before it imploded that it would have been a $200.00-$300.00 repair job versus $2100.00 the rebuild the entire tranny. And yes it was a stuck selenoid that caused pressure to build up inside my tranny and BOOM that was the end of it. If your O/D light is flashing TAKE IT TO A SHOP or you'll pay for it later!!!!!!!!!

Update

I took the explorer to the shop and they said that all of electrical checked out and that it looks to a solenoid issue. They said to replace the solenoids that it would be an internal transmission job. I belive I read somewhere on here that you can reach all the shift noids if you just drop the pan.. Is this correct? What should I do?

They said they tested the Solenoids and they all ohmed out correctly. However, They said that one of the solenoids was giving a week click. While two of them sounded strong. They said they they believe this is the problem, but they told me that they just do not know for sure. They said that if this is not that it could be in the cluth pack. Any suggestions?

Yes, Im sorry I probably did not explain myself correctly. He said that when he inspected the solenoids two of them were working correctly but shift solenoid 2 seemed very week. Not a clicking sound like the other two. But all three of the shift solenoids ohmed out correctly. If one goes bad could this trigger all thee of the shift solenoids to be in the stuck off position?

Yes that is what he said that he did. He said that it is opening and closing, but not as strong as the other two. He said that he was unsure if this was the problem though. He said that it could be in the clutch pack. He also suggested that we tr and repalce this solenoid before we look further. I'm just looking to see if this makes since to an expert like yourself.

Tell him to switch this questionable solenoid with one that is good, and see if you experience the same problem in that gear. Another option is to replace the solenoid with a new one. Check WWW.TransmissionPartsUSA.Com, and type in shift solenoid in the search bar. I saw 2 solenoids there. One was a Ford OEM which was a little expensive, and the other one was a non OEM which was much cheaper.

Okay....I really do thank you for your time and knowledge. This place is AWESOME!!!

An Ohm test isn't good for testing modulated solenoids such as the EPC or TCC solenoids. These shift solenoids are basic on/off devices. Rotunda makes a special tool for cycling these solenoids to see how they respond. It simulates actual road conditions even though the vehicle is parked.

Back