ford racing crate engines | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ford racing crate engines

schlava

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt 5.0
Hey guys I was just messing around on ford motorsports website. I have a 98 5.0awd. Do any of those fms crate engines just drop in to our trucks or is it more trouble than it's worth?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, the 302 Windsor based engines will just drop right in.....

Is it more trouble than it's worth?....It's not really a LOT of trouble....If you have a running Stock 302/5.0L Explorer on Friday, by Saturday you could have a running FMS 302/5.0L, if you have the basic hand tools required for the job.

There are a few OTHER things that need to be addressed while you have the motor out....Torque Convertor..Have one BUILT for you....A box stock, off the shelf 'performance' convertor will be designed for a 2WD, light(er) weight vehicle than your AWD Explorer.

Another major area of detail needs to be Exhaust. TorqueMonster Headers are a MUST in this application.

Ryan

Hey guys I was just messing around on ford motorsports website. I have a 98 5.0awd. Do any of those fms crate engines just drop in to our trucks or is it more trouble than it's worth?

It will drop in but it's not going to run.

All Explorer 5.0 use DIS and have a 50oz crank balance. All crate engines are for vehicles using a distributor. The crank balance on all crate engines are 32oz. The crank pulley also contains the pick up for the DIS and is one piece. No one makes a 32oz balancer with the crank trigger. It would have to custom made. You will also need a new flywheel.

Then there is the letter cams that come in the crate engines. They are not designed for a heavy vehicle like the Explorer they are for Mustangs and are not that great in a Mustang, let alone an Explorer.

You will need a custom tune other wise you will be lucky to back it out of your drive way.

So yes it's more trouble than it's worth.

Dan, you sure there isn't a 50 oz 5.0 in there? I'll defer to you since I haven't looked in a while...

But you can still put a 28 oz engine (not 32 oz) in your explorer without a huge amount of effort. You can have the balancer machined, or buy a 28 oz balancer and have it machined to accept the sensor ring. DIS would not be an issue in the least. You will use the distributor location for the cam sensor. The only thing you would need to double check is the firing order. If different than yours, you would need to swap cams is all. Personally, if I were you, I would look hard at the 347. That would be an absolute pleasure in an Explorer. Cammed correctly, it should be a torque monster and your biggest problem would be to keep from breaking parts. Put a set of AFR 185 heads on it and you should have 400 hp easy. That is totally docile, impeccable street manners horsepower. That too is a 28 oz motor. I believe JT has a 347 in his car. See how he worked with the balance. Believe me...there are a lot of ways to do this.

thanks guys guess i'll just get tm headers and intake spacer and call it a day!

Dan, you sure there isn't a 50 oz 5.0 in there? I'll defer to you since I haven't looked in a while...

But you can still put a 28 oz engine (not 32 oz) in your explorer without a huge amount of effort. You can have the balancer machined, or buy a 28 oz balancer and have it machined to accept the sensor ring. DIS would not be an issue in the least. You will use the distributor location for the cam sensor. The only thing you would need to double check is the firing order. If different than yours, you would need to swap cams is all. Personally, if I were you, I would look hard at the 347. That would be an absolute pleasure in an Explorer. Cammed correctly, it should be a torque monster and your biggest problem would be to keep from breaking parts. Put a set of AFR 185 heads on it and you should have 400 hp easy. That is totally docile, impeccable street manners horsepower. That too is a 28 oz motor. I believe JT has a 347 in his car. See how he worked with the balance. Believe me...there are a lot of ways to do this.

Yes there are ways to do it, and Jon has a running 347, and there are a couple of other people in the process of building them. But it's a waste to buy the crate motor when you would end up changing so much of it anyway, it would be easier to just start from scratch.

I wouldn't buy a complete crate engine either. But I do believe they offer a short block. And if they don't, there are plenty that do. As long as you get the good parts, that is a much cheaper way to go. Then use your heads of choice. Even a 331 would be very good in one of these.

Back