Shaking at 60+ mph

SwaintaN

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Carey, Ohio (Georgia Grown)
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Had the alignment right before the 31s were put on, never really noticed this since i cant get up to that speed this often, but... at 60+ mph the truck shakes, BAD freaked me out like I done thought the truck was gonna fall apart and crap on me, any suggestions? also, just had the brake pads replaced and it pulls now when i press the brake

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...You just had it aligned and if they did their job proper, they did not reccomend new parts so that tells us they were good to begin with...:scratch:

...This is just a guess but I would check your bearings...:dunno:

yeah they didnt recommend anything during the alignment but to get new tires, i had bald 275s, but once they aligned it, it driving to the right on its own, lol

replaced the driver side bearings this passed summer, maybe the passenger side went out? i know the tire dont shake/pull like the driver side did when the bearings went out

Hey there!

I had the same thing happen on my 93 Ranger after new tires were put on. So it turns out, a wheel weight was improperly installed.

I'd have the shop double check your alignment, as well as wheel balancing, and torque on your lug nuts.

If it's not any of these things, as tbars said, check your bearings.

Good Luck!

ERUSH

...I'm thinking you have a loose nut and bearing...;)

lol no off roading for me, that would be a whole new thread with "wife *****ing" lol ill check the lugz again and then call the shop who put them on and have them check the balances on the tires, pep boys did the alignment, might be able to go back on their labor guarantee

...I would take it back and have them find the problem first...;)

..(*a little voice*)...Go ahead...Take her off road...You know you want to...Who is going to find out???...You will be careful and no one will ever know...:D

lol yeah i would agree with the lil voice sometimes, however, that is how my X got the name Project Hex, cause its a big Murpheys Law Explorer, anything and everything will go wrong...

Maybe it's the same shake that occurs around the 65mph area. I get it to, perhaps the 31's have just brought it out more?

In any case, I'd definitely go back to the shop, have them check everything suspension wise that THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO BEFORE THEY EVEN DO AN ALIGNMENT. My Explorer had about 3 alignments done at the same shop (2 were free) before they actually checked the suspension components and told me what was wrong. Steering box is to lose, apparently the "balljionts are loose" when they're 8 months old.

It's an old truck, there's probably something in there that needs tightening up

i read from the sheet, this is what they have in notes

"Mr. Swain was told that the alignment could only be done upto a 89% correction. Due to "custom shackles" that has risen the rear of the Explorer putting weight on the front tires. This weight plus the sag in the coil springs, has pushed the tires. Recommendations; new coil springs, new tires {bald}, largest Camber/Caster Kit already installed. Originally driver side tire, 6 points over alignment to the left, passenger tire 5 points over alignment to the left."

...I'm no alignment guy but if both show to one side then I would think it would pull to one side and not be in alignment...:dunno:

...The shackle thing is a little fuzzy but it would be easy to replace with stock shackles for an alignment...I would go to a real alignment shop and get the lifetime warranty...Have them do a free evaluation and if you need to swap shackles do it for the alignment...

...My trucks as well as many others on here have at least 6" of lift, shackles, etc., and can still be brought into alignment...:scratch:

im gonna take it to my wheel guy and see what he says about weight and bearings, if its the alignment, that will be taken care of in Jan, Ford is doing the alignment for the AAL and Leveling Spring add ons.

...If you have sagging front coils throw some F150 coil spring seats in there and get your front end back up were it should be just before you get it aligned...;)

If your alignment was okay, howbouts the balance of the wheel/tires?

I have a personal problem with pepboys, I am now boycotting them, but enough about my probs we're discussing yours and as other said you might have a loose bearing that's what it sounds like anyways.

ok well took it to my tire guy, he jacked it up got ready to take off the front passenger tire (side i did not replace bearing on in summer) and touch it with one finger and it shook! so bearings again?

Certainly sounds like bearings. Assuming the lugs are tight (and nothing else is moving but the rotor/tire), that's about the only other thing that could cause that. I've had that exact same problem before (but never after an alignment, weird that they wouldn't check that first).

Hope this helps.

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just gave me another reason to not like PepBoys, this will have been 2nd time they have screwed me... so yeah no more pepboys, i went and got the bearings and had to order the seal, so this weekend gonna change bearings out, hopefully that stops it

Back