Wheels, hubcentric or not | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheels, hubcentric or not

I've been searching and reading about hubcentric and non-hubcentric wheels...

I had wheel studs fail last week, see thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?p=2091850#post2091850

This got me thinking about my wheels not being hub centric. I've seen that there are spacer rings to adapt the hub size to the wheel hub size. But, my question is, how does a plastic spacer help take any load off of the studs? Is the spacer mainly to make sure the wheel is centered or to actually support some of the load? Also, if I went to aftermarket shafts, they do not have the hub center like the factory, so what is the big deal about having hub centric wheels or the spacers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've read those. I'm just wondering how a PLASTIC spacer would hold up as a hubcentric spacer?

...I'm sorry as I have looked thru a bunch of threads for you and I can't find it..:thumbdwn: ..You might ask JCUZ that in the thread I posted above...I have seen post about that inner spacer between the hub and the wheel center bore...But I would not use a spacer to compensate for my lack of attention to buy a proper wheel in order to save some money...:dunno:

..I did find some spacer links that discussed wheel spacers, this one is particularly good, but it's for back spacing problems ...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112955&highlight=hubcentric

....If you really want an answer from a guy who would know, contact this guy..;)
http://www.wheeladapter.com/fred_goeske.php

I dont think the wheels are hub centric -- or else I dont think you would be able to run conical lug nuts as the conical lug nuts would fight the hub-centric wheel. But I'm probably dead wrong.

...Did some more searching...:scratch:

..Here is a recent thread with info on the hubcentric rings in post #21..
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2071791

...This is from here..
http://www.wheelfire.com/ccontent/TechWheel.cfm#Centerbore

Centerbore and Hubcentric Rings

This refers to the center bore in the wheel that centers the wheel on the hub of the car. Since most wheels are mass produced, they have a large center bore to accommodate several different vehicles. If there is a vibration problem, it is recommended that you use hub centric rings. Hub rings are hard plastic rings that link the wheel to the vehicle. This centers the wheel and makes your wheel hub centric. Without hub rings it is possible to get vibrations even if the wheel and tire package is completely balanced.

...And someone else sent me this..:biggthump

.."Ford put hub-centric wheels on your 4x4 truck, that's what you should replace them with. The hubs and lugs on the truck were not designed to handle the added strain of lug-centric wheels.

Hub-Centricity
When automobile manufacturers design a vehicle, they utilize hub-centric wheels so that:

* The wheels are positioned very precisely on the car.
* The possibility of shifting while being mounted is minimized.
Hub centric wheels mount on an off-the-car wheel balancer by a precision ground and hardened cone that is forced into the center hole. This works quites well, and is very important. The idea is that the whole wheel/tire assembly should rotate on the balancer exactly about the same axis that it rotates on the vehicle. If it doesn't, then it can be "in balance" on the balancer but "out of balance" on the vehicle. As an example, a 60 lb. wheel/tire assembly that is mislocated on the balancer shaft by 0.005" and then balanced there will be out of balance by 0.6 ounces when it is mounted on the vehicle.

Lug-Centricity
The alternative to a hub-centric wheel is known as lug-centric.

* The wheels are located solely by the lug nuts rather than the wheel hub.
* As the lug nuts are tightened, they adjust the wheel's position relative to the hub, thus centering the wheel.
* Properly torqued, the lug nuts continue to keep the wheel centered as the vehicle is driven.
*Lug-centric rims are more prone to splitting and cracking aroung the stud holes.

Lug-centric wheels require extra care in mounting on a vehicle. A wheel that is lug centric often doesn't have a precisely machined or punched center hole, and so mounting it to the balancer using a centering cone can result in very poor balance. In such cases, a lug based adapter (commonly known as a "Haweka" adapter because Haweka makes a good one) is used. The adapter mounts on the balancer and has adjustable lugs that mate to the wheel, and the wheel is then mounted to the adapter. When used properly, it works well, and it should always be used with lug centric wheels.

When using shouldered nuts instead of tapered nuts, take extra care to properly locate the wheel. Never use air tools to install high performance wheels! Always use a torque wrench and follow accepted tightening procedures. "

So just to give an example of a hub centric wheel -- the Toyota Tundra has a hub-centric wheel because it does not use conical lug nuts.

02-1.jpg

My mountaineer's OEM Alloy 15x7 wheels were hub & lug centric, with conical lug nuts.

I'm using the same lugs on my new 15x8 steelies, which are very much lug-centric, and they seem to be working fine.

Having worked with "plastics" for over 40 yrs I can tell you that the plastic hubcentric rings if are the correct diameters [fitting within a couple of thousanths of an inch ]to the outer and inner diameters they will align the wheel and not distort or lose their shape.The company's that make them have years of good results.I have an 03 with 16" wheels and am looking at some 17" off a 06 that will need the rings.I plan on using them just to play it safe.

Back