Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
...This is on my '95 Ranger XL equipped with, 2.3L, 4cyl., std. cab, 5 spd, 4x4, dual coil pack, 8 plugs, twin sticks...It is OBDII...;)

...I was working out of town when I received my CEL codes...I was doing nothing special at all for about 10 miles before the light came on..

...Out of the clear blue I noticed I developed a miss and quickly looked over and seen the light on steady...I then had to climb up a steep hill to get back to the house I was working at and all of a sudden the CEL light began flashing...:eek:...

Note:
...If your CEL light is flashing, park it...A steady CEL is just a code...A blinking CEL is a very serious problem...:eek:

...So, I wound up buying one of these...

...$129 pl tx at Kragen/Shucks/Checker
http://shop.oreillyauto.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=EQU&MfrPartNumber=3100&CategoryCode=3389

3100.jpg

...I pulled the codes and the first was a generic P0301- cylinder 1 misfire...

...A P0301- cylinder 1 misfire can be caused by several little things including but not limited to, bad battery or alt, bad pos/neg cables, bad plug or wire...It is also common to find it related to other codes, It's just the first one to show up...

...With the help of my new scanner I also pulled the 2 other codes, P0351, P0352...

P0351 Ignition Coil A Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction, inbound/outbound problem
P0352 Ignition Coil B Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction, inbound/outbound problem

...:scratch:...I thought this would be a battery cable problem since it showed as a problem to both coil packs and since I am still in need of both cables to be replaced....:rolleyes:

...Just to be safe, I checked all battery connections and charging system...All checked out ok...Next, I called around to the closest auto parts and there were 2 Kragen's within 8 miles, in 2 different directions...They each had 1 coil pack (Niehoff) in stock so I ran out and purchased 2 of them at about $57 @...

...I started with the front coil pack and disconected it...
dual_coil_pack_004b.jpg

...I then snapped this pic before I got to the second, rear, coilpack..
dual_coil_pack_003b.jpg

...I then moved to the rear coil pack and attempted to disconnect it...To my surprise, it was already disconnected, sort of...:wtf:
dual_coil_pack_005.jpg

...They were both factory stock...Here is a close up pic...
dual_coil_pack_008.jpg

...And here is a comparison shot of the 2 old coil packs...
dual_coil_pack_007.jpg

....As much as I would have liked to keep one as a spare, I felt it would be broke by the time I ever needed it...:(

...I hope this might help someone else in the future....:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...The link in the first post still works for me...:dunno:

Back