2008 & 2009 explorer wire chaffing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 & 2009 explorer wire chaffing

CmdrPopNFresh

Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
hey guys. i donno if anyone has an ex this new on here but i thought id post anyway. this is right off the ford broadcast messages page.

2065 - 2008-2009 EXPLORER/MOUNTAINEER AND SPORT TRAC EQUIPPED WITH 4.0L ENGINE BUILT PRIOR TO 11/6/08 - POTENTIAL HARNESS CHAFE AT THE PCM BRACKET

SOME 2008-2009 EXPLORER/MOUNTAINEER AND SPORT TRAC'S EQUIPPED WITH 4.0L ENGINE BUILT PRIOR TO 11/6/08 MAY EXHIBIT A NO CRANK, CRANK-NO START, DRIVEABILITY SYMPTOM, OR IDLE CONCERN WITH OR WITHOUT MIL ILLUMINATION/DTC'S DUE TO THE PCM ENGINE HARNESS CHAFFING AGAINST THE PCM MOUNTING BRACKET. THIS HARNESS CHAFE TO GROUND CAN ALSO RESULT IN BLOWN FUSES. FOR NO-CRANK ISSUES CHECK FUSE F8 IN THE SJB. FOR ALL OTHER SYMPTOMS CHECK FUSES F4, F39, AND F43 IN THE BJB. USE THE PTS WIRING DIAGRAMS TO ASSIST IN ISOLATING SHORTED CIRCUIT. IF A CHAFE IS FOUND, FOLLOW CONNECTOR REPAIR PROCEDURES, CELL 5-1, FOUND IN THE PTS WIRING DIAGRAM. REPOSITION THE PCM HARNESS TO PREVENT FURTHER CHAFFING. IF VEHICLE EXHIBITS DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES(DTC) P035X-P0360 FOLLOWING REPAIRS REVIEW OASIS FOR UPDATED COIL PRIMARY CIRCUIT DIAGNOSTIC ROUTINES.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 08 build prior to the day listed, is there a fix so the wire does not chaff?

yes. if you read through the thing it says to move the wires away from the bracket they chaffe on. if you dont have a problem with it though dont worry about it. broadcast messages are just designed to notify technicians of known problems and how to fix them quickly. its not a safety recall or anything like that. i would suggest the next time you go in for an oil change or something print that out and bring it with you and they can check to make sure it isnt rubbing on anything....and if it is they will fix it under waranty....assuming you get in there before your warranty is up. im pretty sure you have a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty plus whatever extended warranty you may have bought. hope that answered your question

cool I check it since I never plan on taking it to the dealer unless I need warranty work. My truck is only 1.5 months old and only has 3000 miles so I check it when I get home.

Back