Redline Tuning Hood Quicklift for 2nd Gen-Now Available! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Redline Tuning Hood Quicklift for 2nd Gen-Now Available!

celly

disturber of the peace
Reaction score
City, State
calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 eb 5.0 awd
A few months back, the subject of aftermarket hood struts for 2nd gens came up after one of our members scored a set made for the Ranger, for his Explorer. I contacted the seller of these struts and through this thread, our trusty Lighting mod, Bill Kemp, got this Mounty done free of charge in order to spec a set for 2nd gen Explorers etc. His Mounty is now featured on the seller's website and instruction manual.

There are a lot of cases whereby 2nd generation Explorer owners have had issues with their OEM (and aftermarket) hood struts. I was personally trapped once when my hood slammed down unexpectedly and pinned my hand under the hood. Pretty painful (and scary) experience. I ended up just replacing the struts with another set up Strongarm struts (the same ones that failed). I'm going to score a set of these "Quicklifts" soon.

Anyhow, I locked down the other thread because it served its purposes. I just wanted the Forum to know that the struts are now officially available for 2nd gen Explorers/Mountaineers. Bill Kemp seemed pleased with the set he's using.

I have no connections to this seller whatsoever. I just believe in good products and these look like a winner. They also sell on eBay and they've got stellar feedback there.

Their website is here.

Instruction manual is here.

IMG_9970.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just read through the instruction manual...what does one do if one does not have a rivet gun? :(

The stainless steel ones look awesome. Now I just need to save some money for them.

I'm debating between the black and stainless myself. If I know me, I'll upgrade (and get the stainless). :D

That link doesn't work. Pretty much any rivet gun should be fine though as long as it will use a 3/16" rivet.

Alright, thanks.

[/End hijack]

This is one of the few chances you'll have to support a company who offers Explorer-specific aftermarket parts. :)

That's the one you'll need, Paraphoe!

The Red Line guys are great and their product is also. IDK for sure but the difference in the struts seems to be the visiual covering. SS / blk.
All I know for sure is that they work! I'm really happy & pleased with the way they work.
And yes, I would definitely recommend them when you need to change the OEM's.

IDK for sure but the difference in the struts seems to be the visiual covering. SS / blk.

Bill, according to Redline, the SS is an upgraded design. 4 year warranty instead of 2 as well. :thumbsup:

ttt

Are they priced per pair or each? I didn't see it specified but i's possible I missed it.

Are they priced per pair or each? I didn't see it specified but i's possible I missed it.

Prices are for both sides.

I'm making a move on a set in next day or two. :)

That's a hell of a deal. I replaced mine a few months ago with what ever the parts store sells & they were not much cheaper. Price wise that is. Quality wise they are way cheaper.

Am I the only one with original hood struts (95) that still work fine?

My liftgate ones are tired. I have to push it up the last three inches or so but the struts still hold it up.

Am I the only one with original hood struts (95) that still work fine?

My liftgate ones are tired. I have to push it up the last three inches or so but the struts still hold it up.

I have the exact same situation.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I replaced mine of my 99 to see how trhe aftermarket struts do, my OEM stuff was working okay. Now I do have top help the hatch up some, it was better with the OEM struts. They have identical markings as OEM struts, so I think something changed, they aren't as strong as they used to be.

My 98 truck is fine, other than the hood sometimes slows near the top in Winter.

Back