two different brake rotors?

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
i knew they made two different front disc rotors for my truck(92 4x4) they list them as 2.2 and 2.5 tall so i figured i would go with the smaller of the two because no one could tell me the difference. well now i know they are completely different one is taller but also uses different bearing and seals.i need the larger of the two go figure.my question is if i can even find these bearings could i use these rotors on my truck or are the axles different sizes or are there more differences that im not seeing and would be best to sell them and just get the right ones?:fire::fire::scratch::scratch::scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Do you have a part # for the rotors you bought, where you got them from, and is your vehicle 2wd???

...For my 4wd, I only see the 2 1/2" listed but not all specs. for the different rotors are listed...

...I know there will be an option of with/without front ABS but didn't know there was a 2-2 1/2" size difference....:scratch:

I have done MANY brake jobs on Explorers, and There are 4 brake rotors for the 91-94 Explorers

2WD w/o ABS (91-92)
2WD w/ ABS (93-94)
4WD w/o ABS (91-92)
4WD w/ ABS (93-94)

If they gave you something different, it MAY be a part number for a Ranger/BII (read: DANA28, not DANA35) that is cross referenced in their system, even though it is not 100% correct.

I once found a dealer for rotors and the ABS units were $15 less than the non-ABS units, so I saved the $30 on the pair and broke the ABS exciter ring off the back with a hammer...If you don't remove the ABS ring, it will interfere with the screws that hold the dustshield in place.

Ryan

yea I do,I went to advance and asked them if they could show me the rotors that go for the 92 4x4 and they also came up with two.they were list for different gear ratio.mine are r1 rotors
Posted via Mobile Device

I have done MANY brake jobs on Explorers, and There are 4 brake rotors for the 91-94 Explorers

2WD w/o ABS (91-92)
2WD w/ ABS (93-94)
4WD w/o ABS (91-92)
4WD w/ ABS (93-94)

If they gave you something different, it MAY be a part number for a Ranger/BII (read: DANA28, not DANA35) that is cross referenced in their system, even though it is not 100% correct.

I once found a dealer for rotors and the ABS units were $15 less than the non-ABS units, so I saved the $30 on the pair and broke the ABS exciter ring off the back with a hammer...If you don't remove the ABS ring, it will interfere with the screws that hold the dustshield in place.

Ryan

its a rotor for a 92 4x4 with no abs ring,it looks like it takes two different size bearings
Posted via Mobile Device

well its the 2.5 rotor that fits my truck,the bearings looks to be the only difference,they swear that the 92 explorer 4x4 is available in two different sizes and so does advance.so if anyone ever happens to see 2.5 or 2.2 the 2.5 is the one for a d35 92 ex 4x4

That is IMPOSSIBLE. The Bearings are going to be same for a 4WD Explorer from 91-94. Even the Inner and outer bearings are the same on the 4x4. On the 2wd they use a Large inner, and small outer, due to the tapered spindle profile. But for the 4WD, they use the same large inner and outer bearings, so the front axle can go through the cylindrical spindle.

If there were a difference in the bearings that are needed, there would be a spindle difference as well. Which there is NOT.

I say they are X-referencing a D28 brake package from another RBV.

Ryan

That is IMPOSSIBLE. The Bearings are going to be same for a 4WD Explorer from 91-94. Even the Inner and outer bearings are the same on the 4x4. On the 2wd they use a Large inner, and small outer, due to the tapered spindle profile. But for the 4WD, they use the same large inner and outer bearings, so the front axle can go through the cylindrical spindle.

If there were a difference in the bearings that are needed, there would be a spindle difference as well. Which there is NOT.

I say they are X-referencing a D28 brake package from another RBV.

Ryan

o I agree I've never heard of something like this either,its weird that a couple place list two rotors tho,even rock auto has two one for 3.55 and up and one for the lower gears.like you said I think its for a d28.anyone have a pic of the back side of a d28 rotor?
Posted via Mobile Device

aint posted in awhile. but ran into this once.

its the 4.10 explorers that have the different rotor. didnt note the bearings, but DID note the "backspacing" (if you'd call it that) for the rotor surface was different.

BTW, i did use a abs rotor on a non-abs truck once.

o really wonder why.here are pic of both,also the front side ,from the rotor to where the rim mounts to it is bigger,on the 2.5
20scf9z.jpg

2q86jdi.jpg

and a pic on truck:D
2dtoxh1.jpg

this is my first posting.
and i may be out of line posting here.
however this is my exact problem.
i have a 91 explorer vin # 1FMDU34X9MUA10065.
my front passenger brake rotor is destroyed.
so off i go online searching for a new one.
just prior to finding "serious explorations" i found "silverstate ford parts"
i said: "i need a brake rotor!."
they said:"give us your VIN #"
their reply was: " if you have a 3.45 or 4.10 ratio you need
yl2z1v1o2ea"
"if you have a 3.55 or 3.73 you need
yl1z1v102aa"
and according to your vin you have a 4.10 ratio
(these are all genuine ford part #,by the way)
so i ordered this huge beast for the princely sum of 69.37!
without bearings!
i called back next payday for bearings and or numbers and they were lame.

i have since discovered rockauto (thank you)
their listings confirm the two different rotor suspicion!
if you have a 3.45 or 4.10 ratio you need yl2z1v102ea or motorcraft#brr40
if you have a 3.55 or 3.73 ratio you need yl1z1v102aa (sorry, i missed the motorcraft
# for this one)
anyway, as you see, its not a simple matter of "3.55 and up"

check and see what gear ratio you got,or the best way is too pull one off and look at it if it has the same bearing inner and outer then its a 2.5 or look at the pic and compare,o i have 3.73 stock gears

huh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that too my 3.27 gears? Is that rare? Yeah, I have axle code 41, and that means 3.27 open diff. And going by the GVWR of 4875 that mean's I have a whole whopping 900 lbs towing capacity with me in the truck. What a rip. At least the sport weighs 300 less then the 4 door. I know I can tow more then the rating, but geez. Course I do get 18-20 MPG without trying :)

But back on topic, good stuff to know, when it comes time to get new rotors I'll know how to figure out what ones I have and what ones I'll need! Thanks for the leg work on this one!

hi! doonze,
actually the huh!!!!!!!!!!!! was a response to my ignorance of all the different ratios. and wonderment toward the (only) four listings.

i dont want to change the subject,however,why/how/does/can the front ratio
be different from the rear?
(this is my first4x4)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The ratios should NEVER BE DIFFERENT. You will grenade your TC. The TC is meant to work at a 1:1 ratio when in 4x4 high and 2.38(?):1 in 4x4 low. With two different gear ratios the two drive shafts each spin at a different RPM which the TC cannot compensate for.

However, I have read somewhere on here when people re gear they sometimes do the axles one at a time. In this case one should never use 4x4 till the gear ratios are equal.

Back