Turdle and Gmanpaint's Rock Slider Build Thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turdle and Gmanpaint's Rock Slider Build Thread

Turdle

DIY stunt double
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
So, let's say your neighbor has this really cool machine--

welder.jpg

And you have a pile of this laying around

tube.jpg

Slider build time!!!!

We're building 2 sets, one for myself, and one for Gmanpaint.

So, here is the progress
3/6"" 2x4 rails, with 3/16" x2" tubing Step-nerf bars so I can get my butt into the truck.

Test fit --had to be sure the boat side angle and the door would get along with each other

testfit.jpg

Welding in the nerf support tubes

Joe.jpg

Tig torch

arc.jpg

And here is were we are now-the fourth is still having it's bottom welded.

We nocked off now for dinner

3nerfsbuilt.jpg

Joe said I can practice welding a bit on Gman's bars tomorrow.

:p:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am amzed by the TIG welding process. I watched as Joe welded and think I can get the hang of it. If you know how to properly braize and solder I think you can do it. Here's some pictures

This is just a quick tack weld

tack.jpg

Here is the puddle, looking through the mask

puddle.jpg

And some more of what I watched--

Joewelding.jpg

Wow, those look great and I love the TIG welder. I hope the real deal is easier to learn than a cheap Tig without a foot pedal.

Boy
We've been working since about 2:00 pm stripping these down to bare metal, and dressing the welds. Gmanpaint smoothed the endcaps down on all 4 real nice.
Ran into a little bracket issue, back at it tomorrow.

I think I got eye damage while looking at the tig weld pic. :confused:

Sorry for this newbie statement but I assume this helps slide over rough terrain and prevents undercarriage damage, yes?

Sorry for this newbie statement but I assume this helps slide over rough terrain and prevents undercarriage damage, yes?

You are correct. They will protect the rocker area.

Yeah, what I am really worried about is coming down on something and not being able to get out of the truck. Hopefully the pair will weigh less than 125 lbs

Ill take a set with brackets! You take pay pal?

LOL NICE!!!! good work!!

Lookin good! Time to slap em on!

Up next winch bumper? :D

Looks good, and don't take pictures of welding, that isn't good for the camera either.

Looks good, and don't take pictures of welding, that isn't good for the camera either.
Welding doesnt produce as much infra red as the sun - so it doesnt really cause damage. The only danger in taking welding pics, if the camera is close enough to the torch, is spatter. But since this is TIG welding, spatter isnt a big deal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look sweet guys. Status? ON?

Back