Official Colorado Colors Run 09 - Ouray: Sept 4-7th, 2009 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Official Colorado Colors Run 09 - Ouray: Sept 4-7th, 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
Well the majority has spoken and this years Colorado Colors Run will be to Ouray! This trip will be over Labor Day Weekend. The dates are Friday September 4th - Monday September 7th.

All Explorers welcome! From street or 2 wheel drive to highly modified there is something for everyone in the area!

Trail Descriptions:

http://www.narrowgauge.org/4x4/html/4X4.html

I highly suggest The Colorado Trails Guide Book Vol. 1 2nd Edition by Charles Wells as well.

www.Traildamage.com also has the trails in the area.

CB Channel:

Ch 1 primary with Ch 3 as the backup channel (if too much radio traffic on 1, etc.)

Pre-Run Info

Starting Monday, August 31st
Location: Leadville to Salida and then to Ouray for the main run

Trail Itinerary:

The "Official" run will be on Saturday and Sunday, Friday and Monday for those who wish to arrive early or stay late. For those of you who will be arriving before or staying later feel free to coordinate with others in this thread.

Friday:

Hurricane, Corkscrew and California Passes/Gulches. Picayne and Placer Gulches if time

Saturday/Sunday:

Black Bear, Brief stop (~30 mins to walk around, get food, etc) in Telluride, Imogene, Yankee Boy Basin
Note: Black Bear will be done on the day with the best weather

Engineer (AKA Mineral Creek), Cinnamon, Minnie and Maggie Gulches if time. Lunch stop in Lake City if timing is right.

Monday:

Red Mountain Mining Area (proposed)

Meeting Location:

The Ice Park aka Rotary Park on the North end of Ouray, East side of road.

Friday meet at 8 AM in the park.

To avoid traffic on trails, the meeting time should be about 7:30 with a departure about 8AM from the park on Saturday and Sunday.

Suggested Lodging:

Ouray KOA
US Hwy 550 - CR23, PO Box J
Ouray, CO 81427
Information: (970) 325-4736
Fax: (970)325-0410
Email: koaouray1@mindspring.com
Reserve Online Now Or By Phone: (800) 562-8026
http://www.koa.com/where/CO/06158/

Ridgway-Ouray Lodge & Suites
For information and reservations, please call: 800-368-5444
373 Palomino Trail
P.O. Box 608
Ridgway, CO 81432
http://www.ridgwaylodgeandsuites.com/index.html

There are more hotel choices in Ouray however over the past years I have found the above 2 to be the best. Primitive camping is also available however I do not know where to suggest.

Required/Suggested Equipment:

http://www.explorer4x4.com/trail_equip.html

Signed up:

Brian1
Scott B.
gmanpaint
chad551
mrboyle
crawlin91
bronco2guy
dkchrist
nssj2
pwhiteelec05
MickeySpiers
joker1457
Turdle
88Comingup
2-Stripe

Photos From CCR2000 in Ouray:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Black Hole and 2 riders are in!! We will be there Thursday afternoon. Our Camping reservations are made @ KOA.

Cant wait to see the views! Cant wait to meet everyone going!

Thanks Brian. I was going to start this today, and actually, I was going to use your intro from last year! Nice pictures though (I'm in both of them!)

Could you add a "Pre Run" section starting Monday the 31st? At this point it is only gmanpaint and I, but others may (hopefully) join us.

Is the Super 8 still in Ridgway? As I remember, that was a nice place to stay.

I thought I recognized the building from the pictures. Cool. I'll probably stay there, too.

I am signing up for this run, although Black bear looks pretty scary to me..

I am not real good with heights in some situations and this trail looks like one of those situations. :eek: However Top of the World in Moab does not bother me.:confused:

I understand that.

Don't worry - We'll be spotting for each other, and taking lots of pictures.

Just go slow, and remember the mountain biking saying - look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go.

Anyone know of a nice (not too expensive) place to stay in Leadville? I see they have a Super 8 for $79.00 a night - is this a nice place or a hole?

subscribing possibly attending

Put me down as a possible also. Sounds like fun. Will there be trails for different abilities??

Tim

I'll be there!

Tim, the trails in the area range from well maintained dirt roads (great for rally driving rental cars on) to fairly difficult. I personally would not be afraid to take my stock '96 on 90% of the trails in the area.

Still waiting to hear from work.. Bad weekend to get off.

Anyone know of a nice (not too expensive) place to stay in Leadville? I see they have a Super 8 for $79.00 a night - is this a nice place or a hole?

From what I remember a few years ago it wasnt too bad, I would stay there again.

subscribing...might go...hopefully

Possibly attending. Who is staying @ the KOA and what spots are you staying in? Last year was kinda cool when everyone was next to eachother. I'll ask some of the people I know from Leadville where a good place to stay is. If I can't get away from work to explore with you guys, maybe we could get together for lunch or something.

i would like to make this, but wont know for a while.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Possibly attending. Who is staying @ the KOA and what spots are you staying in? Last year was kinda cool when everyone was next to eachother. I'll ask some of the people I know from Leadville where a good place to stay is. If I can't get away from work to explore with you guys, maybe we could get together for lunch or something.

We are staying at the KOA. Not sure on the site #. My uncle made the reservations, and once I find out, I will post it.

Any of you guys near Ouray should come out, even if it is to hang out by the campfire and hang out. I would like to meet as many of the EF members as I could.:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back