Section525 - SAS D44 - Page 2 (Finishing... maybe) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Section525 - SAS D44 - Page 2 (Finishing... maybe)

The other thread was a little too long and a little too old. :( So this is where you can keep up and give great input and advice so we can all get this project out on the trail as soon as humanly possible. :)

So today I had some time and motivation to get out into the shop. Here is what was accomplished.

001.jpg

Bend up some new taller hoops. These will give me more room to grow. They'll also allow my new bling Ballistic Fab shock tabs to angle down giving tons of clearance to the shocks. I also have some BF lower shock mounts which weld to the c's. They're an inch or so higher than my current mounts.

002.jpg

The Pro-Tools notcher. Super bad. Now I keep my retarded cut-off wheel notches out of the build. :confused:

003.jpg

Way better notch than I could ever do.

004.jpg

Pretty high. Looks like I'll have to have a yard sale to get rid of the items that used to be there.

005.jpg

Hugh hoops! It'll all make sense when you see the other side. I'm clearing my FJ60 steering box over there.

006.jpg

Tabs and shock in. Lookin' good.

007.jpg

Both sides. It's as done as it's ever been! :p:

008.jpg

And this is where I left off. I cut the engine brace shorter than I wanted to. I'm a total newb at this bending stuff. So I'll have to wait until Monday at the earliest to pick up some more 1.5".

But I do have about 30' of 1.75" laying around. We'll see what the motivation level is like tomorrow. Maybe I'll start some bumpers! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...It may be time to invest in a pipe stretcher...:D

Looks very nice. Might have been in the last thread, but what are the specs on the remote resi shocks?

Hiyas -- if these are rubber bushings you have at the end of the bracing, I would advise you not to use them because any flex point on the shock towers increases the chances of a fracture as its bent back and forth everytime you flex. But then again this might not be that important because you still have the leaf springs to support the entire weight of the vehicle.

Somtimes using straight bolts (as I did in the first SAS) in shear at the end of the brace can be difficult because you have to be dead on with the total length. So an alternative is to use heims which will allow you to adjust the length of the brace but still have it nice rigid after you tighten everything down. And the eyelet allows easy alignment because its allowed to swivel.

xoxoxo

008.jpg

Pimpness!

What bushings did you use on the hoop cross brace thingy?

The shocks are 14" 2.0 5/8" shafts

The bushings are Poly Performance bushings.

IZ - That makes a whole lot of sense. As I was sitting here this morning staring at the empty spaces I have created, I was trying my best to make these things coil over friendly. Once that upgrade presents itself, I'm wondering what the chances are I hit a home run with the tab locations, frame/tire clearance, etc. I got to thinking that by then it may be easier to just rebuild. But in the slight chance everything looks good.. maybe I'll just have to build a new engine brace!

But then of course there's the giant steering box on the drivers side... right where a shock would go.

Also, this is the only notcher that I've ever used, but it's 100% awesome. :thumbsup:

Don't worry about that steering box - its just a tiny little baby boy - you can always switch to the Toy IFS box :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Very true. I'll have a gang load of room for it now that I no longer have a battery! :(
Posted while sitting on the couch

You on east coast time boah? Git back out to the garage!

(posted from under my explorer)
Posted via Mobile Device

You on east coast time boah? Git back out to the garage!

(posted from under my explorer)
Posted via Mobile Device

Thunder, lightning, and tons of rain. :( I packed up the tools just in time.

Attachments

• douching.jpg
    douching.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 1,950

That notcher is pretty bling - a lot more capable than the chop saw method :(.

In the notcher instructions is a big statement. "DO NOT use the notcher in a VISE"

But nobody was watching so I did it anyway.

Of course you may borrow the die. But it'd be about $30 to ship it each way. That's $60 towards your own set! :D

Is your bender is a ProTools, JD or something else ?

Pt

Interesting IZ, I'll have to take a look at ours, but I think ares is fine. and I know it has way more then 30 bends on it:rolleyes: of corse our's is set to work off air, so maybe it's a little easier on it.

Mine is air powered too:

finished1.jpg

Mine is air powered too:

finished1.jpg

Yeap.. got the HF jack rockin here too:p: Our's just dosn't look so pretty, and it's mounted the horizonal vs. vertical like yours

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks super groovy:thumbsup:
On the engine crossbrace, what if you made some tabs to reach the bushings? I guess it's just as much work either way.

Back