ac removal

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
has anyone cut or removed this box.i just want to remove the ac part,i do not have ac anymore but still want heat.i would like to do this to get more room to change plugs and make it easier to pull and put back in my motor,plus its just in the way and takes up space:thumbdwn:
2me4tw8.jpg

98sjy8.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would get the box from a non-A/C ranger and run that instead. Anything you do that box won't look right, and probably won't seal right.

But besides that, I don't know what you are talking about having difficulties with the spark plug near the HVAC box. I have more trouble with the 2 nearest the brake booster. I have a 20" extenstion that I use, and get them from the wheel well.

Ryan

thats a good idea!i can get my plugs no prob just a pain in the arss.what years you think will fit?
Posted via Mobile Device

i changed the heads on my exploder... without removing the a/c or the engine.

the a/c box was in the way a little for torqueing a couple of the bots... but it's still running fine 50k miles later :b

oh, if you cut that box out, you will have big heater problems. the heater air blows through there as well. as stated, get a non-ac heater box if you really want to convert it. or you can take the a/c evaporator out of that box (and seal the holes) if you just want a little more heater air flow or whatever.

89-92 would be the correct years to get it from.

Ryan

i changed the heads on my exploder... without removing the a/c or the engine.

the a/c box was in the way a little for torqueing a couple of the bots... but it's still running fine 50k miles later :b

oh, if you cut that box out, you will have big heater problems. the heater air blows through there as well. as stated, get a non-ac heater box if you really want to convert it. or you can take the a/c evaporator out of that box (and seal the holes) if you just want a little more heater air flow or whatever.

o i have too,MANY times!!!its just ugly and in the way!!!people ask me all the time why did i waste my money on a ac bypass pulley also when the compressor doesn't cause any drag well it was in the way with all its hoses and if you ask me it looks way better than having all that crap in there and i can run a stock belt that i know i can get anywhere
ffb7vc.jpg

ac bypass pulley

I went into auto zone and got a belt for an explorer without air conditioning instead of using a bypass pulley. My compressor is still there but the belt doesn't go around it. It beats spending money on the bypass pulley and then you would reduce your drag too.

well that is a nice clean looking engine bay.

i'm not a big fan of the hot air intake though

there is air coming in right there from the old stock tube but being that its a 4x4 i cant use a cold air and dont want to snokle it yet,havent found one tbat looks real clean
Posted via Mobile Device

I went into auto zone and got a belt for an explorer without air conditioning instead of using a bypass pulley. My compressor is still there but the belt doesn't go around it. It beats spending money on the bypass pulley and then you would reduce your drag too.

thats true to but at the time i didnt know what belt would fit and still really dont.i have underdrive pulleys also so i need a smaller belt that stock too.what belt do you run, like the numbers for it, then i can subtract what i need from that and see if they carry that belt in stock

89-92 would be the correct years to get it from.

Ryan

would i need the inside stuff also or just whats under the hood?going to pick n pull today so hopefully they got one

well i got one from a 82 looks like it would fit,also got a new fender and driver side rear door all for $75

thats true to but at the time i didnt know what belt would fit and still really dont.i have underdrive pulleys also so i need a smaller belt that stock too.what belt do you run, like the numbers for it, then i can subtract what i need from that and see if they carry that belt in stock

I couldn't tell you any numbers about the belt I have... all I did was buy one from the auto parts store that is for my year explorer without air conditioning. I also have a mr. alternator 200 amp version installed with a smaller pulley on it and that same belt works fine. I am sure if you went into napa they could size one up for ya since you have more than one pulley that is a different size than stock.

i didnt think ex came without ac,i thought it was a ranger nonac belt that had to be ran?
Posted via Mobile Device

The Ex wasn't available without A/C. But the 4.0L motor WAS built without A/C in the Rangers.

The computer at the Parts Stores are not the most accurate things out there. They even list Dana28 parts when looking up suspension parts for the Explorer. And we all know they were ONLY built with Dana35's.

Ryan

The computer at the Parts Stores are not the most accurate things out there.

:salute: Then you have to find someone who works there to match the part # on the computer with the one on the box.... :rolleyes: lol

so its in a man it makes it look 3 times better and there is so much more room.it was all plug and play to,lined up perfect!!so a 82 noac ranger will fit.here are so pic and ill post one when i get the motor back in also!
old ac unit
k4wf3d.jpg

new nonac
vfb78z.jpg

2ykmgig.jpg

2vuj9jl.jpg

w8qrea.jpg

mvpwjs.jpg

2ziqxb9.jpg
mb0f87.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Ex wasn't available without A/C. But the 4.0L motor WAS built without A/C in the Rangers.

The computer at the Parts Stores are not the most accurate things out there. They even list Dana28 parts when looking up suspension parts for the Explorer. And we all know they were ONLY built with Dana35's.

Ryan
i take it that it comes from the same years as long as it has the 4.0
Posted via Mobile Device

Back