Automatic to Manual Transmission Conversion? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Automatic to Manual Transmission Conversion?

mowfixer

Reaction score
City, State
Sanford, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport 2WD
I have been thinking that when my automatic trans quits, how difficult would it be to convert to manual trans. I can see some of the problems but has anyone done this conversion? I have driven standards for my whole life and I think my truck would be great as a straight shift. Sport 99 OHV.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

better off yo buy one with a manual trans lot of work.

Actually, since the OHV was available with a manual trans in a second-gen, it may not be as difficult as you think... First challenge would be finding one, then swapping the trans clutch master cylinder and plumbing, then re-flashing the PCM so it's not looking for an automatic trans. The hole in the floor should be there already, and the parts for the shifter, boot, trim, etc. should all come from the same vehicle as the donor trans. All in all, it shouldn't be too difficult of a swap IMHO.

Now, is it worth it? To me: No. Less work, time, and hassle to do a nationwide search for one (they're rare). A lot less headaches overall too... Not sure if it would be worth the time and effort personally.

Actually, since the OHV was available with a manual trans in a second-gen, it may not be as difficult as you think... First challenge would be finding one, then swapping the trans clutch master cylinder and plumbing, then re-flashing the PCM so it's not looking for an automatic trans. The hole in the floor should be there already, and the parts for the shifter, boot, trim, etc. should all come from the same vehicle as the donor trans. All in all, it shouldn't be too difficult of a swap IMHO.

Now, is it worth it? To me: No. Less work, time, and hassle to do a nationwide search for one (they're rare). A lot less headaches overall too... Not sure if it would be worth the time and effort personally.
Actually they are not rare at all.Ford made quite a few explorers with a manual trans.What is rare is a 4 door with a manual trans and a manual shift transfer case but I have seen a couple..literally.

Do a search. Lots of info on here.

Sport with an OHV is probably the easiest to pull off.

If this is your plan, start collecting parts NOW. A full donor vehicle would obviously be optimal, but if that isn’t in the cards start collecting. Pick n pull junkyards are the best.

Super old thread. Not that much is needed for this, I wouldn’t get a donor unless it was super cheap. Much less involved than swapping a motor in one of these.

God damn it, why are people resurrecting so many zombie threads lately?

Back