Hi there! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hi there!

Exploristi

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt + 97 xlt
I have been browsing Serious Explorations for some years, and today I finally joined! You have helped me a lot in trouble shooting and on mods: THANK YOU!

I have got a German export 1997 4.0 SOCH for 3 years and a Spanish export 1996 4.0 pushrod for 2 years. I currently live in Finland.

The '97 xlt is my wife's rig; stock, lowered a bit with 2" wheel spacers, made for speed. We use it for family trips and towing a camper. Longest trips have been from Finland to Spain and Norway. The first trip was from Berlin, where I bought it, to Finland.

The '96 xlt is my rig; 4" lifted with 33" BF Mud Terrains, a new heavy duty gearbox with kevlar bands, a heavy duty Griffin radiator and brown wire mod, etc... It is mainly for fun: driving in woods, up the slopes of local skiing centre, testing deep snow, climbing up in sand pits plus it is my everyday ride. I bought it in Spain as stock, drove it to Finland and still making mods.

Both trucks have stainless steel bush guards, running boards and rear corner guards plus tow packages. They are like dark green twins, the other one is the evil twin ; )

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got the transmission rebuild after a total failure (on 112 000 km only) on a workshop in Marbella, Spain.

I told them I'm planing to tow very heavy trailers in extreme climate on regular basis and they rebuilt the gear box with heavy dyty parts. I'm not very familiar what exactly they installed in it, but recipes show kevlar bands and heavy duty servos and turbine.

Still I think that was worth it; factory new would have been 1750 euros and this heavy duty rebuild was 2500 euros. Driven now some 30 000 km with it, putting some real stress on it and feels great!

welcome

Back