• Register Today It's free!

02-05 Message Center Install?

04xltdood

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City Mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 xlt
Hey all! First post here! I searched and couldn't find any information regarding the install of the message center on a 02-05 explorer, only for 2nd gen's. Is it possible? What is needed and how much work is involved? Thanks for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been looking into doing this project myself for my 03 XLT and it doesnt look like its going to be that much work.. seems like it would be as easy as switching the manual a/c to auto a/c (another project i would like to do)

nothing.... i would think there is a way to do this somehow!!

Id like to do this as well but apparently no one else has? Anyone have any idea on how to do this?

I think the clusters are diffrent. I recall seeing in a parts list Message center and non-message center clusters. Also, do you have the wires for the buttons? My Message center buttons are on the left of the radio and the 4X4 are on the right. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the 4x4 buttons for the non-message center X's are on the left. Not that it should be a big deal to relocate them... I don't think all the wiring is in place to do a plug and play install.

Not sure how much this helps. I have an 03 2wd, no message center. There is an unused plug that connects to the back of the blank plate on the left hand side of the radio. Not sure if that is for 4wd switches or message center switches though.

When you have the message center- the 3 buttons to use it are located in the position the the 4wd buttons are. It seems as tho you could just more it to the appropriate place.. and you will have to switch the cluster out obviously- but I think its much more complicated than just a switch out... alot more wiring and you'll need sensors for the low washer fluid, oil change, etc.... so I think thats a no go... sorry... BUT if you hear otherwise id love to know!

Back